Apple Cider Vinega

Posted , 3 users are following.

I`m presuming I have acid reflux although I do not have heartburn but I have an acid taste at the back of my throat and at the back of my tongue.. I keep reading that Apple Cider Vinegar will help..  Anyone tried this and has it worked?

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear marion,

What we think or say on this forum does not really matter, we are not medically qualified and all we can tell you is what worked for us when we had a similar problem. The most important think is what works for you. If you do decide to try it, could you write on this forum again and let us know whether the theory backs up the pracrice, that way we will all move forward. My wife is very interested because in the olden days my gran parents used would mix up bicarbonate of soda which gave temporary relief, we were told to use antacid tablets like Rennie which contain calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate but acording to this website describing how organic cider vinegar works perhaps we were incorrect in the way we were looking at things. Please write and let us know.

best regards

robert

• Posted

Dear Robert,

I will certainly reply and let you know, the more feed back you get the better for everyone. Now I have to decide the dosage. Reading on the net gets somewhat confusing - some take it before the meal - some take it twice a day. Is it one tbs or two?????????  

Also a member on here was helpful in suggesting DGL tablets so if she is reading this I have not dismissed that hopeful solution.  But at the moment I am going to try the apple cider vinegar. 

Many thanks,

Marion.

• Posted

Dear marion,

I was told to take just one to two tablespoonfuls of organic cider vinegar in a pint glass of water and to sip it through the day. I started with just one tablespoonful and because I reacted badly to it within one hour I decided to stop.

robert

• Posted

Dear Robert,

I will try that and see how I go on...thanks for the directions saves me trying to sort out all the different concoctions. 

Marion

• Posted

an add-on.....

Today I purchased the organic aplle cider vinegar. I have now just realised I will have to check something out or better still I will ask the pharmacist when I go back into town in a few days time.  I`m on mega doses of high blood pressure pills plus Warfarin (blood thiinner) and at the moment my doctor is having problems getting the correct dosage for me,,,my blood at the moment is too thick so I go to the lab every week.  I am getting mixed mesages on the net as to whether apple cider vinegar will interfere with my prescription drugs.  So as mentioned will ask the pharmacist.  Can`t ask the doctor as I don`t think she will approve of me taking apple cider vinegar and will want to prescribe something for me herself.

Anyhow I am disappointed as I wanted to start taking this but will have to double check that it is ok for me to go this route.

Marion 

• Posted

Dear marion,

I think you are very wise, I find speaking to my pharmacist is extremely useful, sometimes they know more about drug interactions than the GP. My pharmacist often points out possible side effects with a new drug that the GP has only just prescribed but failed to mention while I was in front of him. He also seems to have a remarkable knowledge of the properties of chemicals. I wanted to clean a vitreous enamel bath, my pharmacist said "use a mixture of one third hydrogen peroxide solution and two thirds bicarbonate of soda " it works fantastically! These pharmacists are clever chaps and you don't need an appointment.

robert

• Posted

Marion I reckon the metallic taste is coming from all those BP drugs you are on. Interacting with each other and no chemist on earth IMHO can predict this It is stage one of a lot of things that will start to happen as your body loses the drug battle.   Next you will get hoarseness followed by dry throat, then you wont have enough saliva. Then trouble swallowing even a smoothie. Then the hallucinations start at night where you will be wide awake and able to recall everything. But the worst bit is your saliva glands get totally screwed up and your mouth swings between totally acid to totally alkaline. ACV At this point will be useless and will burn your throat. Try not to let this happen to you please! The answer is to totally change your life style and drastically reduce all those meds that are making your life so miserable. I've been in that dark place and its darn scarey. Doctors rarely help sadly and you are really on your own as they cant pinpoint what is actually wrong with you. Most want to put you on anti depressants to mask the problem. I sincerely believe that food is the key Marion.

Have a great Xmas and forget about your ills for a week!

• Posted

Hi Rex,

Thank you for your input ad concern.   I have been on BP medication for 30 years and not had acid reflux.  This acid reflux seemed to start when I was on gabapentin medication.  First the dry throat, then a cough then acid reflux. Came off that medication but symptoms still persist so that is confusing to me.  I do agree that I should concentrate on my food intake.

Have yourself a great Christmas too.

Marion

• Posted

Hi Marion

You have accidentally discovered the "half life" of drugs. Many just dont stop working when you stop taking them but are in your system for years. This is not tested when approval is obtained. So many dont realise that testing ceases once approved and noboody tests for inter reactions. The other problem I have with trials is many are done in very poor countries like parts of the Ukraine and get this - anyone that gets adverse side effects at the start of the trials gets dropped as they could confuse the findings. Watch the Horizons documentary called "Pill Poppers" and you will find how drugs are stumbled upon by accident. Its just a lottery. The most important thing I have learned this year is beware of the onion skin and peel back the layers as what you first thought could be not your major problem. I am only just coming out of the symptoms mentioned above and it can be done by simply refusing to take more drugs that simply dont work anyway. Now why I reckon reflux has just rared its ugly head in your case is in your case you are taking all sorts of blockers. Now at least one of them is relaxing the LES as its designed to dilate blood vessels etc. For guys prostate drugs that relax the prostrate do exactly the same to your throat so it just cant seal properly. People dont seem to realise that all things that are being blocked are there for a reason and in so doing you mess with something else.

Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi Rex,

Thank you for your input.  Just can`t get my head round that maybe one of my beta blockers is relaxing the LES after al these years.  I am on a lot of medication to keep my blood pressure under control plus medication for atrial fibrillation.  As much as I would like to not to have to take all this medication I feel I have no alternative.  I keep going back to that Gabapentin medication as starting the reflux off but I am just recovering from pneumonia and have been on penicillin for 10 days.  I`m just dropping to bits!!!  One thing that helps for a little while is gargling with a mouthwash called Biotene. It kind of masks the acidity.  I wonder if it could just right itself.....miracles do happen.

Thanks again,

Marion

• Posted

Dear marion,

I can get a metalic taste in my mouth if my blood sugar goes to low, also others foods taste funny and I get confused with different smells. Remember, I am type 2 diabetic with IBS.

Gabapentin is a neuropathic inhibitor, I was prescribed it but it made me feel very light headed and so I came off it again in two weeks. Now I take pregablin which is also a neuropathic inhibitor but this is completely different and works really well for me.

If you have been taking some prescribed drugs for 30 years don't just stop taking them, you could have real problems. It's best to check with your GP before making any changes. Pharmacists and GP's are borh trained in medicine and possible interactions and are in the best position to advise you. My GP has some bit of software on his computer which throws up a warning sign on the centre of the computer screen if he prescribes something which has a known adverse reactiion with a medicine I am already taking. The data base on that must be enormous.

Best regards

robert

• Posted

Dear Robert,

Interesting that you get a metallic taste when your blood sugar goes too low. I wonder what the connection is?

I mentioned to Rex in the post above that I have to carry on with my medication and I agree as you say if I stopped them I could have major complications. But of course everyone has their own opinion.  I have to admit the drugs that you take to hopefully cure or control a problem can be damaging something else.  Once a year I have to go to the lab to make sure my kidneys are not being effected with all the drugs. It`s a viscious circle.

My doctor is also very thorough on checking if a new medication will intract with one I`m already taking....so I`m grateful for that.

I will be checking out the apple cider vinegar with the pharmacist when I go to town on Tuesday (no stores where I live) .

Thanks again,

Marion

• Posted

Dear Robert,

I spoke to the pharmacist who said that some of the diuretics I take could cause low potassium levels by taking apple cider vinegar.  I already take a potassium tablet because some of my blood pressure tablets lower my potassium.  So I have decided not to go the apple cider vinegar route.  I may be being over cautious - but at the moment I take 16 tablets a day and they just about keep my blood pressure at an acceptable level so I don`t want to throw a spanner in the works and have to start taking more tablets to compete with the drop in potasium by taking apple cider vinegar.

Thank you Robert for your responses to me and for all the other members....much appreciated.  I`m just going to be very dilligent with the food I eat and try and get the measure of what triggers off this acid reflux.

Many thanks.

Marion

• Posted

Dear marion,

I think you are doing the right thing, don't mess with other substances when you are on a lot of medication, you never know what might happen. Stick to what the pharmacist says, he will know about possible drug interactions, that is part of his job.

I wish you all the best

robert

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.