Appointment with my Neuro( 2007)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hiya smile

Thought I'd post the results of my meeting with my neuro prior to my op in July 2007.

It says in the letter:

The scan clearly shows compression on the cord at C3/4 and at C5/6 and 6/7 levels.

I put it to Mrs M that there is a reasonable probability of deterioration of her cord function if nothing is done.

I have explained that surgery is designed to relive pressure on the spinal cord and in so doing, protect it from risk of deurological damage in the future. We know from studies of patients who have undergone this type of operation that 60-70% show a degree of neurological improvment although this cannot be guaranteed. It is most unlikely that the recovery will allow a patient to revert completely to normal, On the other hand, the earlier the cord is relived of pressure, the better the neurological outcome.

I have explained that as ythe C3/4 and lower parts of her cervical spine are effected and anterior (front) op is inappropiate and the problem should be dealt with by a cervical laminectomy.

Em smile

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

[quote:3c3aaaaef0=\"chris215a\"]hello jas how old are you now, if you have had it since you were 32, i've had it since i was 31 and now i am 48, what has your gp said. good luck with the neurosurgeon, i had one consultation 13 yrs ago and apart from that all i have been offered are stronger and stronger pain releif , try not to go down that road. any way good luck again chris[/quote:3c3aaaaef0]

Hi Chris... I am 42 now... :roll: I have been down the medication road (or rollercoaster i should say)and was even recently on Morphine slow release patches, but i ended up with the most awful toxic migraine for 2 weeks, so i am back to using Mersyndol forte and valium when i can't bear the pain anymore!!! I'm trying not to expect too much from the Neurosurgeon appointment, but i can't help hoping he can offer me some kind of help....I am an optimist at heart!!! :wink:

Thanks for replying.....Jas....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.