Aquablation for BPH

Posted , 38 users are following.

Very promising new treatment for BPH now in clinical trials (Water Study):

PROCEPT’s AquaBeam combines image guidance and robotics to deliver Aquablation, a waterjet ablation therapy that enables targeted, controlled, and heat-free removal of tissue for the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms as a result of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).

2 likes, 366 replies

366 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Here is another method. Link below.

Prostate laser therapy recommended to NHS.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36515401

• Posted

Green Light PVP has been around since 2003. This is probably version 3. I had it in 2005. NICE are just now telling our URO's to ditchTURP. That will annoy the Gold Standard Brigade.
    • Posted

I saw this "gold standard " crap in my urologist's office. It was on a poster on his wall supplied by the company that sells the machine used by urologists to do TURPS. As I believe you folks in Great Britain might put it, funny coincidence that. As my wife always says, follow the money.

Neal

• Posted

Many of us in different part of the country were told 'We will never use Laser surgery in this hospital"

Some refused to refer patients to enlightened hospitals for their own good.

When my prostate regrew after only four years I was told it would not have happened if I had a TURP.I refrained from saying that I knew one of his incontinent TURP patients who he had to do two later procedures on without success..

• Posted

I have just visited my Urologist in the UK and he mentioned this as a promising development for (maybe my) BPH.

Is there anyone out there who has recent experience (the last comment here was 7 months ago)

• Posted

They are doing trials locally for this procedure. I lfound out about it too late. The only thing that strikes me is that is is basically laser treatment without the laser.  From what I can gather, they still do the procedure through the uretra. I understand its computer guided but I'd be curious to kow if they can avoid retro ejaculation.

• Posted

Hi I just wanted to give an update on my Aquablation procedure after having it last Oct I’m now back to the same as I was before the procedure so not good in my case, how about others?.
    • Posted

Hi Grant- Sorry to hear that your Aqua did not turn out well. Are you saying that you initially improved, then your improvement 'backslid'..? Thanks- J

• Posted

Hi Grant,

You may be the first, or one of the first Aqualation patient we have here. My understanding is that it just received FDA approval. Were you then part of a study, and if so where was the study held?

Also, could you please start at the beginning, including symptons, your residual, other treatments including meds, your pre-treatment and post treatment IPSS score, and what tests did you have prior to Aquablation. For example, did you have cystoscopy, bladder/kidney ultrasound, urodynamics?

And lastly, what was the Aquablation experience itself like? I assume it was done in a hospital under general anathesia? What was recovery like? Did they send you home with a Foley? If so, how long did it stay in.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim, I had nocturia(2/3 times per night) , urgency, hesitation, the works! I had cystostcopy ultrasound, pressure tests and mri prior to the aqua ablation. I loath taking pills but I did concede to tamsulosin which worked very well. The op went well and nearly a year on from that I am still doing well and my sex life isn't bad either despite producing virtually no ejaculate. I wasn't the first in Britain to have the process; a blind trial had already been done. I believe that Australia and the USA ran the same trial which was run primarily to gather data. As far as i'm concerned, short of identifying the root cause and eliminating the swelling in the first place, aqua ablation is the best solution available.

• Posted

Hi well I was in a trial here in the U.k. I was retaining about 150mls size of prostate 67grm, weak flow etc cystoscope ultrasound etc I was in the hospital 4 days until not so much blood after that no problem with recovery in fact I did not really feel I had an operation,no retro and at first an improvement but now same as before the uro says they should have taken more off! but I’m not rushing to have another operation. Oh not sent home with foley.
    • Posted

HI Grant

Sorry to hear that you are back to before.  I am on the waiting list for it - supposedly in a couple of months time.

Did the main man do it?  Is it he who says 'they' should have taken more off?  Who is they?!

Best 

Mike

• Posted

Mike.  I know they are in the trail but I think this still needs more testing.  Aquablation is just another was of doing a Turp.  I know it is much better because of the mapping but putting in the information into the machine 1 point off it can go wrong.  Are you sure you want to take a chance of doing it now. We have only heard of a few a couple good and a couple bad.   What ever you decide I wish you good luck.  Ken 
    • Posted

Hi yes it was he that said that, I still have confidence in him and will go back to see him in the future my prostate was 67grm and now 47grm he said that it should be at least half I really don’t want to go through that again just yet, so in a year or so I will see what the position is. Good luck with your op and please let me know your outcome.    Grant.
    • Posted

Thanks

My prostate is now 123cc!  I saw him recently and he still felt this is the way to go!

Will keep in touch

Cheers

Mike

• Posted

Hi Kenneth, Yes you are right. More research needs to be done on aquablation. I had the procedure done last September 20th. My recovery at the hospital was very painful. It was the most painful experience I've had in my life. I had what they call a spasm attack and it lasted for about an hour where I felt my bladder was going to explode. my doctor told me it would be only a 10% chance of having retrograde ejaculation. I was one of the 10% men who has it. I'm hoping within the next year that I will be normal again and it's not guaranteed. More research I feel needs to be conducted. When a doctor says that it's only a 10% chance of having retrograde ejaculation keep that in mind that you can be one of the 10%.

• Posted

That is really some only 10 %  What are the odd that you were one of the 10 %.  When I was reading some of the trail they really did not mention retro much.  All they said was that sexual function will be the same.  This procedure is just another way of doing a Turp.  No knife or lesser.  High pressure water but with the mapping it should be right on the money.  Just cut out the problem tissue and avoid the duct and canals.  Nut if your 1 c off your done with.  I know what you mean.  After I had a repair on my Urolift.  I went back on my blood thinner.  They took the catheter out was fine all week until I got up to pee on Sunday.  Did not feel right.  When I look it was all blood.  Called the doctor.  Told them what was going on and said that I may have broke a blood vessel in the bladder to drink a lot of water.  So I drink another bottle and went to pee.  All blood but then it all stopped and The spasms started.  I was told by the doctor that when men have a bladder spasm.  It feel like when a women go into labor.  You have no control of it.  It was try to get rid of the blood.  I had to sit in the waiting room for 4 hours before they had a room  There was blood all over.  They had to do a flush.  Before they put a catheter in they gave me morphine for the pain.  But I was still bleed.  I have to have surgery to see what the problem was.  Turn out to be 3 blood clogs on my prostate and when I sat down to pee one broke.  Was in the hospital for 3 day being flushed out.  That pain was trouble.  That was the doctors doing.  Heart doctor.  My urologist told me not to take the blood thinner for 2 weeks.  I would never have a procedure that retro is 10 %.  That is why I had a Urolift.  It is over 3 years and if I start to have a problem with my prostate I will just have a few more clips put in.  Have a good night.  Rezum is the same it need some work to.  Most of the men that only have 4 injections  it works fine and no retro  They have to leave the center alone where the duct and the canal is.  There are to many men that there doctor are over killing the prostate.  The doctor does to many 10 to 12 and it causes to much damage.  A man does not have a chance.  I sent a 2 page email yesterday to the company voiceing my opinion.  Waiting for a reply.  Have a good day  Ken          

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.