Aquablation for BPH

Posted , 38 users are following.

Very promising new treatment for BPH now in clinical trials (Water Study):

PROCEPT’s AquaBeam combines image guidance and robotics to deliver Aquablation, a waterjet ablation therapy that enables targeted, controlled, and heat-free removal of tissue for the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms as a result of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).

2 likes, 366 replies

366 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was one of the phase 3 trial patients who underwent the water ablation procedure for the prostate.  That was over 6 months ago. One of the primary reasons I agreed to this trial surgery was the lower risk of retrograde ejaculation.  I knew the risk of getting retro ejac from the TURP procedure was high. With water ablation, the prostate is mapped, and the tissue robotically removed with much better precision using an imaging guidance system.  As it turned out, I did not get retrograde ejac.  I also had surprisingly less prostate pain (post surgery) than I thought I would.  The procedure had no impact on my sexual function.  I did not have any incontenence issues although I did not have any before either.   My flow is significantly improved. Night-time trips to the bathroom before the procedure were 1-3.  Now it is 0-1. Most times it is none.   Overall, I have been very happy with the outcome.  

• Posted

Thank you inbutout for the information. Just a couple of questions.if it not too much trouble.

General or local anesthesia?

Length of surgery?

Length of catheter time post op?

Post op bleeding?

Any post op changes to sexual function for the better? ie: better erections, more intence orgasm etc?

Where was the surgery done?

Have you any chance had contact with others that had aquablation? If so did they have similar experience to yours?

Did they tell you the chances of ending up with retro post surgery?

Size of postate per & post op?

Sorry for all the questions confused

• Posted

Sounds very good.  Is it possible to still get in the trial?  Are there doctors/clinics offerring this treatment?
    • Posted

I looked into the trial It was closed by the time I found it. The other down side was there was a chance you would end up getting TURP surgery. No way I was going to gamble getting TURP
    • Posted

Uncle fester- 

in answer to your questions:

I was under general anesthesia. 

Since I was out, I am not exactly sure how long my surgery was, but I do know it was less than 1 hour. 

I do not like catheters and I was very happy to have it out. I believe it was in for about 5 days. Maybe a day less.

I did not have heavy bleeding, but the urologist did not want to remove it until there was minimal blood showing in my urine. 

There was was no change for the better or for the worse in my sexual function. I was not having any issues before. It was about the same. 

I had the surgery in a reputable hospital.  Don't want to say where at this time since I am not sure I should be talking about the surgery while it is still in the trial phase. 

I don't know anyone who has had this surgery. So I have not spoken to anyone else. 

With regard to the retro ejac post surgery, they told me the risks were much lower. One of the doctors informally told me that there was about as much chance of not getting retro ejac under the water ablation therapy as there was in getting retro under the TURP.   I found that encouraging considering my regular urologist told me to expect to have it after TURP. 

I can't remember the size of my prostate before surgery.  They told me, but I forgot. They measured it again post-surgery after 3 months and I recall 33, but I don't know if that was the reduced size or the percentage reduced. 

• Posted

Yes, there was a 1/3 chance I could have ended up with the TURP rather than the water ablation therapy. It was a random selection.  I did sweat that out.

I went ahead with the surgery because my chances were good that I would have the aquablation.  If I passed on it, I would likely have needed surgery anyway within the year and could possibly have been stuck with the TURP. 

I was told by someone in the program that the water ablation therapy could be approved sometime in 2018 if all goes well.

• Posted

Thank you for the answers, sounds encouraging. Just to clarify, with TURP there is something like a 90% chance of getting retro. So if I understand your post you had a 90% of NOT getting retro, correct?

Also, was it a  hospital in the USA  that you had it done at?

Thanks

• Posted

I don't really know what the percentage chance is of getting retro under the TURP procedure.  To some extent, it may depend on the physician performing the surgery.   All I know is that my urologist Indicated to me that it was likely to happen with the TURP.  With the water ablation surgery, they didn't give me a percentage either.  But they implied the opposite...that I was unlikely to get the retro.   And it turned out that I didn't. I don't know any other patients in the study.  So I can only speak for myself. 

In regard to the hospital location...it was in the USA. 

• Posted

Hi InButOut- Your catheter came out after 5 days.

1) How was your urination the first few days after Foley removal?

2) How much time passed before your urination flow was easy?

3) Do you know what your Qmax score is at this time? (Your maximum flow during your urine stream.)

Thanks much

• Posted

I was so happy to get my catheter out after 5 days.  I was hoping 3 days, but that didn't happen. I have a hard time tolerating catheters. 

I had a burning sensation those first few days when urinating, but I powered through it.  What made me somewhat nervous though was the volume.   If I recall, I couldn't get more than 30 - 50 ml out at any one time until almost a week after surgery. But at some point, it started to improve. It more than doubled to 60 - 75 ml and within the next couple days it was 150 and then 300 ml. 

Not sure about my max flow. When I went in for my 6 month check-up, they showed me a tape after urinating,  but can't remember the number. I do recall the nurse saying it was right in there with the rest of the patients that underwent the phase III trial. I will have to make a point of remembering this number when I go in for my 1 year check-up at the end of Nov. 

• Posted

I watched the videos on the Aqua website. I think [from memory] the average Qmax score was somewhere around the 18-19 mils per second mark. If you're up there, that's pretty good ! Congratulations.

• Posted

I just checked the video again and the average Qmax score was 21.5 mils per second. Wow. If you are in that same range, that's great !

• Posted

Is that the average for the ablation water jet trial patients?  From start to finish?  I don't think I am that high, but I will ask next time I go in. 

• Posted

Hi inbutout- no, that's not the average, it's the peak flow, which might last only a few seconds or a maybe a bit longer. So, if you see the graph of the flow, it starts out low, then rises to a peak, then slowly subsides. The graph would look like a hill. It's the peak flow during the urination 'cycle'.

• Posted

Hi well after reading these posts I went ahead and had aquablation ten days ago, bleeding for the first three days they used 35 bags of saline on me to flush me out! I was discharged and drove home felt no pain at all and feel fine only one problem like you said not much coming out ,around 100mls every time and I'm getting worried when did this start to improve for you? Maybe this is normal or am I in trouble? Clive.

• Posted

Where did you have it done? It's still an experimental procedure. You should go back to that center to make sure that you are not retaining clots in your bladder 

• Posted

I see ok there is no blood now but a lot at first and clots so maybe that could be a possibility I will contact them tmw, I'm in the uk thank you again.

• Posted

Uncklefester,  I had the water ablation, last Sept 20th.  My urine flow is back to normal.  For me, it was a very painful experience.  I had what my urologist called, spasm's.  I had one hour of excruciating pain.

Today I experienced what one might call, retro.  Needless to say, I was not very happy to see.  

• Posted

Good for you.  This treatment is going to have to go through more trails.  It is just another was of doing a Turp.  But seams to be better because it is mapped out.   Did not work for grant but did work for you.  Was grant in the same trial as you.  We will have to keep a eye out on this procedure  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.