Archive for Experience of Contraceptive Implant from 2005

Posted , 1 user is following.

i had the implant injected on the 15th of febuary .since then i have gained weight which i do not have a problem with as before i could not put any weight on and this might sound crazy to others but i am very pleased with this side efect i have also not had a period either.this might be a case of my body getting used to the implant either way iam happy my partner of course seems to be a bit annoyed way the weight gain but tough.

[i:95ee2abb2f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:95ee2abb2f]

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you for putting something positive on this site! I am 32 and have experience problems with every method of birth control I have ever tried including bleeding whilst on the pill and hideous bleeding when I had an IUD. I had a depo injection yesterday for the first time - unless i try I will never know if it will work for me or not. My doctor pointed out the advantages and disadvantages and feels that the breakthrough bleeding will be no worse than what I have been experiencing with the pill so it is worth a try. Whilst looking on the web this morning all I have found is negative comments until I found this site. I guess people are quick to complain but very rarely take the time to mention positives.

Has anybody experienced bleeding on the pill and then tried the depo?:lol:

[i:e3a1d87c54]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e3a1d87c54]

• Posted

I had the Implanon strip fitted in October 2003 and after an initial month or two of "settling in", I can truely say it has been the best form of contraception for me. It doesnt hurt to put in (no pain that I can remember). The only uncomfort I had was for apprx 1 week after when I woke up in the morning having to stretch out my arm which went after a second or two. Whilst on the normal form of pill i suffered weight gain, swollen breasts, mood swings, bad period paid etc...

Now i'm on the strip I have not really had a period since Oct 2003!! (which is ace!!), probably 3 times just had a light bleeding (like when I went on holiday, how typical!!). I do still get tired and slightly swollen body/breasts around when my period should be but never have a period. I have not really gained in weight, if any, weight has stabalised considerably as I am very prone to weight gain on normal pill and now have loads more energy to go to the gym/swimming etc which never had before. Moods are excellent, am pleased to say I am back to my happy bubbly self not some miserable grumpy moo! And it doesnt effect my sex drive like the pill did! (ha ha).

I know it affects different people in different ways but I am truely happy with it and hope it works for you too. :-) :ok:

[i:df9afd5e2e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:df9afd5e2e]

• Posted

I have had my implant now for two years exactly. It has not been too bad, my periods have never really been regulard since I had it put in, but they were not really that regular before. I do get really bad period pains and it is not just one period a month, it can sometimes be two. My boobs are really tender, although not as bad as they were a couple of weeks ago, and I have got quite bad acne now. Other than that, it is a godsend and I have had no problems with it. My only concern now is in a year's time when they take it out, I am not exactly looking forward to that bit and am not sure what will be in store for me after that with regards to contraception. We will just have to wait and see...:D:?

[i:e0f04a41f3]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e0f04a41f3]

• Posted

I got my Implanon put in February 2005, for the first 5 or 6 months my period was bad. I use to get really heavy bleeding, but this was very weird.... It was lasting for 2 weeks, off for 1 week and back on again.

The thought crossed my mind, whether to get it removed or not. I hung in for a while just to see what would happen. I came down with the flu, diahorrea, vomiting, dehydration, depression, and really bad mood swings, all at the same time. After all this passed through my system (about 10 panadeen fort tablets later), I had a bit of spotting for a few weeks, and then nothing.

Since then I have not had my period at all, nothing, not a drop!!

But i have however gained at least 3 kilograms, which i cannot get rid of!! I am affraid that I wont be able to get rid of this weight for another 2 years, when i get my implanon taken out.:ill:

[i:a2fb1626dc]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a2fb1626dc]

• Posted

I had my Implanon put in a year ago. I love it as a contraceptive, I hardly ever get periods and love it........HOWEVER!!! The 12 kilos I've put on are definitly not cool..... I'm a short girl, so thats alot of weight!

I've tried changing my lifestyle, I've been going to the gym five days a week for the last 2 months but the weight aint budging! I've been told it won't come off until I have it taken out....so that's happening on Friday...I'm kinda sad, because it is just so easy and I've had no problems (bar the weight gain)with it...so know I have to get used to taking a pill everyday again...and getting proper periods again, I'm going to be like a 12 year old not knowing what to do!:yikes:

[i:54d95e233e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:54d95e233e]

• Posted

had no idea that having the implant would mean that i would bleed almost constantly.had it fitted 8 weeks ago and bled for about 5 of these weeks.had a baby 14 weeks ago and thought this would be best contraceptive as it would be put in and i wouldn't have to worry about it.also i am extremely moody.my temper has got a hell of a lot shorter.deciding if i should have it removed.

[i:0e5109e985]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:0e5109e985]

• Posted

i have been using implanon as my contraceptive for over a year now and in that time i have had no problems at all. Ive had no irregular periods in fact i havent had one period at all. Also i have lost over a stone and suffer no abnormal mood swings or depression. However a few of my friends use implanon and have suffered all the above problems. I guess it only suits some people.

[i:c59d30fd3a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c59d30fd3a]

• Posted

I've had the damn thing in my arm since March. It's going on 1st Dec, The best Christmas present I could ask for. For months I have had tender breasts, Depression, Mood swings, no sex drive and constant period. I had three weeks period free when I went to complain about the thing and they put me on the pill at the same time. I have gained over a stone in 6 months and I would not recommend this nightmare to anyone!:shock:

[i:90a230b074]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:90a230b074]

• Posted

Hey all,

im going to have the implant done today and at the age of 17 and reading all your comments im a bit worried. ive been on the depo provera for a year and that aint been so bad, no side effects so i just hope this is the same

:wink:

[i:4300c25c3d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:4300c25c3d]

• Posted

I had an implanon fitted in feb 2005 after being on the mini pill. Thought it was great for about 5 weeks then the periods started, I had bleeding for about 2-3 weeks out of every 4. It's a fantastic contraceptive cuase your always on you period! I have just finished a 3 month course of the pill to try and sort it out. So far seems to be working. Have gained about 3lbs in weight but i don't gain weight very easily anyway.

Seems to be more negative comments that positive on here? surely there muct be more people who found it to be good?

[i:7826d0ce2a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7826d0ce2a]

• Posted

I had the implant put in 7 months ago, and have been very pleased with it. My periods are now very irregular, but its nothing that you can't deal with! Plus they're very light so its no trouble. I have gaind about a stone in weight, but again, i'm not too fussed. The implant just helps retain the weight, its our own fault for putting it on in the first place, so there's only myself to blame! The positives deffinately outweigh the negatives :ok:

[i:f3dddf4ee0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f3dddf4ee0]

• Posted

I had the implanon fitted a month ago. At first it was great, only had very slight bleeding for a week, then it got heavier and heavier and hasn't stopped since! I'm really not sure what to do, have been reading the above comments, and am feeling like the wonder contraceptive that was going to give me and my partner more freedom, is actually killing our sex life!

[i:46e8191581]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:46e8191581]

• Posted

I had my implant fitted on sep 1st 05 on the day was just finishing my period and have not had bleed or pain or any problems with bleeding was a little worried at having no period at first not used to that but feel great now no more paying out for sanutary towels not cheap or worring if im gonna leak through trousers bliss wish done it ages ago small amount of discomfort for couple of day in arm and did feel strange to sleep on for while but now all fine did get a couple of spots on chin which was strange as im nearly 40 and dont get ache anymore lol but i can cope with that

please anyone who is thinking of this implant do it its great i dont worry about bieng pregnant or missing pills or storing tabs just can enjoy the freedom of a wonderful sex life with no worrys happy implant user :D

[i:7137e00724]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7137e00724]

• Posted

I tried the pill version of Implanon for 3 months before having the implant a month ago, apart from bleeding for the first ten days on the pill version I haven't bled since ( 3 and a half months) great! I've lost nearly a stone and completely gone off chocolate which was a large part of my diet ( I was previously on the combined pill for 20 years so it must have the the oestrogen withdrawal !) Apart from a few spots and itching around the implant, I've had no adverse side effects and if anything am a much nicer person !

Trying the pill version first made me a lot happier about having it done.

There are a lot of negative comments on this site which if I'd read them before having it done might have put me off so I thought I'd try and balance it up a bit.

:ok:

[i:dc69d179ae]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:dc69d179ae]

• Posted

Had the implant put in around August this year. Fine at first: one long period then nothing for a while. Started again after that and have been on ever since (about 10 weeks now). Never used to be particularly moody but now can't seem to control the swings - one day really up and the next down. The downs are very much like PMT - very tired and crying or snapping at the smallest things. Partner has started to comment about it now too so I know it's not just my imagination! Have also gained about a stone in weight when I was pretty constant before!

Not sure what to do as it's great for not having to remember to take anything but not sure I can put up with the side effects for 3 years!

Best of luck to anyone going for it - as the comments show, it does work for some!! xx

[i:da8191a97c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:da8191a97c]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.