Archive for Experience of Prolapsed Disc from 2005

Posted , 1 user is following.

i have had lower back pain from a prolapsed disc for about four years.i have always been athletic , playing football, squash and jogging, iam 52years old, and have been taking on prescription TRAMADOL HYDROCHLORIDE tablets for roughly 2years. However i have decided to come off them for my own reasons, i am always looking for good stretching techniques, and apply them quiet frequently. I am in pain quite alot of the time but my work takes my mind off it most of the time. I havn't done or played any sport at all thinking i will make my back even worse, but from tomorrow i shall try to get back on track. My advice to lower back pain sufferers \"\"DONT LET IT BEAT YOU\"

[i:e812bd7111]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e812bd7111]

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am a very active 50 year old woman who's never had back problems before. I developed sciatic pain in June 2005 after pulling a very heavy compost trolley at work. Saw the doctor who prescribed diazipam and painkillers. Booked in with an osteopath/acupuncturist who helped more than any painkillers. 6 weeks passed and bingo, my back went again. I was referred for an MRI scan (NHS waiting list of 8 - 10 months). Went back to the osteopath, a miracle worker. Within a month I'm back to square one. Lower back pain fit to kill. Osteopath says I have a major prolapse in the lumbar region and need to get it sorted asap before I begin getting bowel and bladder problems. Have now arranged to have a scan privately £425.00, £100.00 to get the scan read, and up to £200.00 to see a consultant just to get a diagnosis quickly. I haven't the luxury of not going to work, so am continuing to work in agony. A very physically demanding job in horticulture. My boss is very understanding at present but I don't know how long his patience will last (He has a business to run after all) Depression is beginning to set in as I can't see an end to this pain. Even after the diagnosis, I will have to wait god knows how long for treatment as the money pot will have run out just on the diagnosis. Don't know how I will cope, and am feeling pretty useless.

[i:fa2aabafe0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:fa2aabafe0]

• Posted

This is the best website I have found after an hour of looking. I live in California and about 10 minutes ago found out that I have not One, but TWO bulging disks!!! A week ago i hurt my back that already felt a little tight by putting on pants!! i couldnt even walk the pain was so horrible. The pain went away relatively quickly, I can walk fine and even ran to the bus yesterday but Im constantly worried i might hurt myself more. This is the 4th time this has happened. Im only 24 years old! I cant believe this is happening to me. the idea of an operation later on is really scaring me too.

[i:af3f05ac88]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:af3f05ac88]

• Posted

I am 43year old woman and have suffered some sort of back pain on and off for about five years, an episode last year laid me up and helpless for about three weeks but the pain was mainly in my lower back,since June this year i have again had constant lower back pain that gradually turned to sciatic pain that affects my left leg down to my toes that tingle and feel numb. i have never experienced such pain!!! i can barely stand up straight and have only been outside the house twice in three weeks, if only i could walk up straight! i am beginning to become depressed and useless, i have always been very active, but how can i do normal things and do some exercise if i can barely walk!

[i:3f9642be18]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3f9642be18]

• Posted

I was diagnosed with a floating fragment 18 months ago, on top of a history of normal degenerative process, stenosis, arthritis and bulging L4-5 disk. I also have a transitional vertebrae, which means I have 6 lumbar and one less sacral vertebrae than usual. So, the fragment was exacerbating the L4-5 symptoms 18 months ago, but has now moved to the L-3 region and is causing new symptoms (constant pain and muscle twitching in my right thigh). After reading the very helpful comments found here, I am leaning towards going ahead with micro-discectomy procedure to remove the fragment, but not any other disk material. The last thing I want is to be in pain 24/7...I enjoy physical and social activities way too much to become a depressed reclusive diabled 48 year old pharmacist -- I love my work, by the way (and I hate being dependent on drugs for function and emotional stability).

[i:cc06b04b63]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:cc06b04b63]

• Posted

Hi,

I am 30 and was diagnosed with mild sciatica last december along with skin cancer at the same time. Got the cancer treated but put up with the sciatic pain. Got a lot worse about 5 weeks ago and was referred to a back surgeon on the 28th November for the results of the MRI scan. It was comfirmed as a prolapsed disc. Was admitted for surgery on the 30th of November (Quick response thanks to BUPA) and was walking with no leg pain at all the next day. Less than one week after surgery I feel great just a little sore around the wound, able to walk to the shops, cook and look after a five year old with no problem. Was very nervous before the surgery but was definately the right thing to have done. Looking forward to being able to play football and play fight with my son in about six weeks time.:D

[i:022dbe846d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:022dbe846d]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.