are all my symptoms side effects of ciprofloxacin? any experience?

Posted , 21 users are following.

My doctor said I had a kidney infection so prescribed ciprofloxacin after taking first dose I felt very sick and after five doses woke with terrible pain behind left eye and over forehead, went back to docs who said its sinusitis and I have developed a terrible chesty cough, now tendonitis in right heel.

Is all this because of these tablets? Will I get better? How long will it take? I have two small children. Thanks you for any replies

1 like, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Tarun -thanks for taking the time to listen to our point of view. As plodding on mentioned I'm pleased to hear you haven't persobally been affected. Can you offer you opinion on supplementation to repair any damage thats been done. A great deal of people suggest taking magnesium and other supplements such as gluthiane, vut c etc to repair and heal soft tissue and tendon damage. I'm personally wary about taking other rablets but do you think this is recommended and could I be pronlonging healing by not taking these?

Emma - how are you getting on now?

Chris

• Posted

Apologies for this late response - been quite busy over the past few days. Chris - I have not fully looked into treatments for quinolone induced muscle/tendon damage, so I'm not certain of the place magnesium or other supplements have. I'd be interested to see and critically assess the evidence that recommends such products however. Have you looked at physiotherapy and other such non-drug options as well ?
  • Posted

There is a lot of good information on fluoroquinolone toxicity on http://floxiehope.com/

I've suffered from toxicity from CIPRO for almost 2 years now and the site and the administrator have been very helpful,

Cheers,

• Posted

Hi wtrboy

Really sorry to hear that you have been suffering from Cipro toxicity for so long and hope you are feeling some improvement.......

Yes that is an excellent site - I know it well and would also recommend that other Floxed people visit.

Take care

Plodding on

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I'm so sorry that you are going through everything that you are experiencing!  Please know that there is help and support available.  My site, _____, has some good resources on it.  There is also a good facebook group - _____

I really hate it when pharmacists and doctors are arrogant idiots about these drugs.  Fluoroquinolones cause mitochondrial dysfunction.  This has been shown repeatedly in multiple peer reviewed studies.  They have also been shown, repeatedly, to chelate magnesium out of cells.  Do you know what happens when magnesium is depleted and mitochondria malfunction?  MULTISYMPTOM CHRONIC ILLNESS.  

To think, and to go as far as to say, that antibiotics only affect bacterial cells and don't affect human cells, is ASININE.  Any medical professional who thinks that should have his or her license taken away.

Good luck, Emma.  Please contact me through floxiehope if you need anything.

Regards,

Lisa

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed multiple URLs (links) from this reply as they were unsuitable (blog etc, social media) for inclusion within these forums. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

• Posted

Hi Lisa

It's so good to see you here and thank you very much for posting!

Your site has been a lifeline to me - giving much excellent info and positive stories of recovery.

Plodding on

• Posted

Hello all, I was given cipro 250G twice a day for epididymitis and have never felt the same. After three days of taking it I went to A and E due to extreme dizziness and a fear of having testicular cancer. While i was there I had an ECG with was deemed unusual and was made to stay the night. They did blood tests, X-ray's and other countless things and by the morning i was discharged. however, the consultant told me to continue taking Cipro and to take iburporfen which after research I found out was a bad idea. The next day after being discharged I went back due to the pain and had blood tests done which showed nothing. Two days after this i rang my gp who told me something similar had happend to him and to stop taking cipro. It has now been 4 days since this and I have now got the symptoms which a lot of people end up getting. Extreme pain in my ankle and knees. This as well as pain in my chest and occasional pain in my back. My bowel movements has been severely affected as know I have this sharp pain when excreting and excrete less often. I've been told to take Iburprofen and the pain will go away but i find it highly unlikely. I went to my gp and he gave me a deep freeze gel for my pain. i am utterly shocked by the consultant at the hospital for telling me to continue eating cipro alongside having iburprofen. My gp knew straight away that the cipro had done the damage which the consultant just ignored. To cipos credit it has cleared my epididymitis. Can anyone tell me any remedies or medication I can take to help. Also, roughly how long this torture will last. Thank you and i wish everyone with this pain to recover quickly.
  • Posted

Hello all, I was given cipro 250G twice a day for epididymitis and have never felt the same. After three days of taking it I went to A and E due to extreme dizziness and a fear of having testicular cancer. While i was there I had an ECG with was deemed unusual and was made to stay the night. They did blood tests, X-ray's and other countless things and by the morning i was discharged. however, the consultant told me to continue taking Cipro and to take iburporfen which after research I found out was a bad idea. The next day after being discharged I went back due to the pain and had blood tests done which showed nothing. Two days after this i rang my gp who told me something similar had happend to him and to stop taking cipro. It has now been 4 days since this and I have now got the symptoms which a lot of people end up getting. Extreme pain in my ankle and knees. This as well as pain in my chest and occasional pain in my back. My bowel movements has been severely affected as know I have this sharp pain when excreting and excrete less often. I've been told to take Iburprofen and the pain will go away but i find it highly unlikely. I went to my gp and he gave me a deep freeze gel for my pain. i am utterly shocked by the consultant at the hospital for telling me to continue eating cipro alongside having iburprofen. My gp knew straight away that the cipro had done the damage which the consultant just ignored. To cipos credit it has cleared my epididymitis. Can anyone tell me any remedies or medication I can take to help. Also, roughly how long this torture will last. Thank you and i wish everyone with this pain to recover quickly.
  • Posted

Hi Emma

I'm having B adverse reactions to Ciprofloxacin. I'm very much in the early days (a week since I stopped taking them) so it's a waiting game to see what's going to develop!??

How are you doing now? Any signs of improvement?

• Posted

Hi heather go to floxie hope .com this site has all your answers in one place
  • Posted

Has anyone found healing? Just looking for some hope 
    • Posted

Don't lose hope Debbie, many have found healing but it can take a long time.  Sites like Floxie hope are full of advice and information and lots of stories from sufferers saying how bad it was then gradually they noticed tiny improvements that just kept improving.

Go to this discussion here on Patient that was started by the moderator:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

he's given addresses of several sites including floxy hope where you can get help, support and information; most are in the US - is that where you are?  There's also pages of posts from people who have been through what I imagine you are feeling - pain and despair. 

Find yourself a group to talk to as it's a bad time to feel alone with a problem.

Best Wishes.

• Posted

Hi everyone.

Mitochondrial DNA in our cells is basically a bacterium. Our cells captured the bacterium long ago in our evolutionary history.

Obviously the bacterium was a "good" bacterium. Its DNA is involved in lots of body processes. If it is damaged we are in trouble.

In some people the Cipro attacks the mitochondrial DNA as it would a regular bacterium.

Mitochondrial DNA damage is repairable. I use lots of vitamin C and magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts).

It is important to keep positive and keep in mind that your body can and will repair itself.

• Posted

Hi Bee,

This is a good explanation of why Cipro and the other fluoroquinolones can do so much damage to us.  I hope you won't be offended if I just correct you a teeny bit and say that it's our mitochondria that are actually a type of bacteria and so their DNA has a very similar make up to bacterial DNA. (Mitochondria are contained within our cells but they have nothing to do with the DNA in a cell's nucleus, by the way). 

Because mitochondrial DNA is so similar to bacterial DNA it can be affected by Cipro etc., which work by preventing bacterial DNA from replicating.  We need our mitochondria to literally power us so if we start to lose them obviously we feel tired and also our cells are increasingly damaged. 

Cipro and the other FQs also badly affect us by creating a lot of free radicals which cause endless damage to our cells - this and the mitochondrial damage work together to cause all the pain and problems of FQ poisoning (floxing). 

Bee, you are totally correct in saying that Vit C can help, as can all the other things that have anti-oxidant properties like fresh fruit and veg etc.  Things that don't help are a lot of sugar and junk food and alcohol and smoking. These all add to the oxidation and toxic overload. Adding Epsom salts to a bath can really help to relieve the pain as it puts some magnesium back into your cells (the FQs 'steal' magnesium and may other vital elements that we need such as calcium and iron). 

I really do agree that staying positive and focused on healing will help and taking the right sort of supplements will probably help to (only never overdo it as too much of something can make things worse). Rest as much as possible, especially if you are in great pain - never try to exercise through the pain as you can make things worse. 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

Click this link to another FQ discussion that gives addresses of useful groups to join.

Good luck with it and I do hope you heal quickly after this poison.  Please warn everyone you can about taking Ciprofloxacin and the other FQs.

Stay strong,

• Posted

1. @ bee67849. Are you aware there is also a European FaceBook group on this subject?

2. @ moderator: my name is so similar to Miriam65408. How can I change my name. Please help me through.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hi Miriam - I may have to change my name! 

If you are not familiar with this forum, your reply may be being moderated because you put in a link to a website or product.  Sometimes posts get removed altogether or sometimes they appear a day or so later with the offending bit removed  - or maybe even still there!

Everyone gets something moderated now and then so don't worry about it.  If your post is removed completely try and decide what was wrong and repost without the 'wrong' bit!

Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.