Are my symptoms sign of a cyst?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I've been having symptoms for few weeks and doctors think it could be something to do with ovaries. I have had sharp shooting type pain, similar to bad stitch, in right lower abdomen, it wasn't constant but for a few days this week it has been. I have also suffered from bad constipation and nausea too. Blood count normal up to now. I went for abdomen ultrasound scan and results came back normal, however I was meant to have a transvaginal ultrasound but didn't in the end, should I ️maybe ask to have this done? I am now waiting to go for an Mri scan which I'm sure will pick anything up if this is something like a cyst? I am just really worried as some members of family have had them, some benign and some not. At the moment I am on a lot of laxatives to help with bowel movements, but just don't know what else I can do at the moment. I also went for emergency X-ray as my doctor was worried due to being nauseous and shooting pain but have not had results yet. Any advice on what it could be would be appreciated!

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I should also mention I have had my appendix out 2 years ago and I am 22!
  • Posted

I have an ovarian cyst and waiting to have it removed,i had a lot of pain with nausea, and the last bout i was physically sick with it
    • Posted

Hi Brenda. Yes I have also been sick and nauseous too, not all the time though. Did you have pain all the time?
    • Posted

My bouts use to last about 3 days last one was just befire xmas still waiting for my op date
  • Posted

My daughter (18) had a 30 cm x 32 cm x 20 cm ovarian cyst removed just recently. Up until she got very sick with pain and vomiting she had no symptoms. They thought she had appendicitis and were prepping her for that sent her for an ultrasound and found the cyst. 3 days later had it out it was filled with 12 litres if fluid. She had to have her ovary out but she is heaps better now
    • Posted

Hi yes those symptoms sound like me. My pain is in the same place, actually slighter lower than where my appendix scar is. Hope she is okay!
  • Posted

Sounds exactly like me! Mine is an ovarian cyst and a CT scan found it but a previous ultrasound had not. I'm waiting to see a Gynae now at the end of the month no idea what they will do
    • Posted

Hi Louise! Ahh okay hopefully the mri will find something if there is anything! I just want to get to the bottom of it. I am currently waiting to see a gastro intestinal consultant though, not a gynaecologist. My aunty has also had same symptoms as me for a while strangely and she has two cysts and is having hysterectomy next week.
    • Posted

Hi Jess you are going the same investigation route as I went 😊. My GP thought IBS initially so I went to a gastro consultant and they did the CT scan and a colonoscopy. Nothing found except the ovarian cyst, which was small at the time but it causes me problems, exactly same symptoms as you have. I'm waiting to see the Gynae now on 23rd. X
    • Posted

Hi, ahh okay then! The consultant I went to see the other day also said he thought I had bad IBS but I am not convinced.. I don't have pain all the time and symptoms come and go. Is this the same with you? Still waiting for a date for mri! Did you have a transvaginal ultrasound or just normal? I didn't realise I was meant to have one of those when I went for my ultrasound but I didn't in the end, and was just wondering whether I should maybe ask to have one? This is how my aunt's cyst was found recently and she's got to have a big op, as they're not sure if it's ovarian cancer, which is worrying. Hope you get to see the gynae soon!
    • Posted

Well most of the time I have a feeling of pressure in the area, not always pain, but some days it is painful, like a period pain. I rarely have no feeling at all. My ultrasound was an external one, no good didn't find anything, but yes the trans vaginal ones are meant to be best for finding cysts, or Mri/ct
    • Posted

Hi louise, you can have the same type of symptoms for pelvic inflammatory, fibroids, emeritusus and a couple other things i can't remember.
    • Posted

Hi Louise 55264, I've been in pain for a yr! I have bad pain in my pelvic area, lower left side, left ribs in front and back and lower back. The pain gets worse during cycle and intercourse. I'm in pain most of the time. It eases up but doesn't go away. Also my stomach is really bloated and bulge on my left front and side ribs. I always feel full and can't eat large amounts. I can feel something inside me pressing and rubbing my insides.does this sound like ovarian cysts?
    • Posted

Hi Amber, from my experience many different things can cause the same symptoms, so whilst some of your symptoms could indicate a cyst it may be something else. What tests and checks have you had?
  • Posted

Hi Jess, I'm not sure if this will be of any help, but I had an ovarian cyst which was initially picked up on a ct scan I was undergoing because I suffer from diverticular disease.  They did a follow up vaginal ultrasound and said they thought it was a dermoid cyst (there are quite a few different types).  Diverticular disease can involve constipation, nausea, vomitting, etc BUT it is unlikely you have diverticular disease,  as you say you are 22 years old and diverticular disease usually affects older people, I am 57.  for me I already have a grown up child, and am post menopausal, so I was not worried about having the cyst, ovaries and fallopian tubes removed.  Have you got friends and relatives, ie your mum who you can talk to?  A vaginal ultrasound scan should be able to more clearly identify if it is a cyst or not.  My surgeon only confirmed it was an dermoid cyst once she had actually removed it.

Try and relax and keep going back to the doctor until you find out for sure what is causing your pain and nausea.  For me I think at least some of the pain, constipation and vomitting I've had over the last 6 years has been due to the cyst and not just the diverticular.  My diverticular seems to hurt on the left hand side, and my cyst was on my right hand side.  Sorry if I'm rambling!  I just hope you get the help you need quickly.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi thanks for your message. What are the symptoms of diverticular? Yes I have lots of family helping me and my aunt has actually had similar symptoms to me and is having op to remove cysts soon. Yes I will keep going until I find out what's going on! It isn't a constant pain though, it comes and goes and is on the right side very low down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.