Are my symptoms sign of a cyst?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I've been having symptoms for few weeks and doctors think it could be something to do with ovaries. I have had sharp shooting type pain, similar to bad stitch, in right lower abdomen, it wasn't constant but for a few days this week it has been. I have also suffered from bad constipation and nausea too. Blood count normal up to now. I went for abdomen ultrasound scan and results came back normal, however I was meant to have a transvaginal ultrasound but didn't in the end, should I ️maybe ask to have this done? I am now waiting to go for an Mri scan which I'm sure will pick anything up if this is something like a cyst? I am just really worried as some members of family have had them, some benign and some not. At the moment I am on a lot of laxatives to help with bowel movements, but just don't know what else I can do at the moment. I also went for emergency X-ray as my doctor was worried due to being nauseous and shooting pain but have not had results yet. Any advice on what it could be would be appreciated!

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

6 years ago I was very constipated, eventually did a huge one, had a horrible fishy smelly mucous, (from bottom) temperature went up to 104 degress farenheit and had a lot of pain of left hand side of abdomen.  Doc said it could be ovarian cyst, (which had never happened then) appendix or diverticular disease.  as Diverticular disease runs in my family he though it was that.  Had a colonoscopy which confirmed I have diverticular disease.redface  It is small pocket like pouches in the inner lining of the bowel, which apparently EVERYONE gets as they age, BUT only some people getsymptoms of repeated constipation, infection, and vomitting.  Which is what I get.  My biggest pouch in my intestine is  on the left hand side of my abdomen.  With medication and careful diet my diverticular disease is under control now.  When I had my last check up, colonoscopy and ct scan for the diverticular disease, the scan picked up the dermoid ovarian cyst on the right hand side of my abdomen.  I had been getting pain all around my pelvis, and twinges of pain on the right hand side of my abdomen, which I had assumed was down to diverticular disease.  Very debilitating.  I was surprised to discover that the symptoms for an ovarian cyst are so similar, but also relieved because now I know exactly what has been wrong, and since the op to remove the cyst my health should improve.  I hope you get a diagnosis soon.rolleyes 
    • Posted

Interesting read, I never knew what diverticulitis was but do now, well explained! X
    • Posted

Aww that is interesting, glad it is under control now! Hopefully will get to the bottom of it soon!
  • Posted

Yes it sounds like an ovarian cyst. The symptoms start each month a few days before your cycle starts and usually last til a couple days after it ends.each month the pain will gets worse.i have had symptoms first 4 months anymore now it's horrible. The worse pain i've ever felt. Also i have had two extra periods in the last 4 months.
  • Posted

Hi all,

Okay so I went for an emergency X-ray last friday and still have not had the results back yet which I'm very annoyed about but doctor said they will be looking at as soon as they can. They have also said that I might have to wait up to 3 months for an mri scan, which is such a long time, I am in discomfort most days, how long did any of you have to wait for a scan? I am also going to definitely ask at my next doctor's appointment if I can have the internal transvaginal scan as this seems to be most effective at finding out what's wrong. In the meantime, I'm not sure what to do, I keep going to do my doctor every few days with the same symptoms  (stomach pain which keeps changing places now, constipation, general tiredness, nausea, increased urinating but now actually that seems normal again) and they just keep telling to carry on taking laxatives and things for IBS but nothing is changing! Feeling very down! sad

• Posted

Makes me cross really, why the GP's keep insisting it's IBS! It has been exactly the same for me. I only waited a few weeks for my CT scan but I paid for it. With the consultant appnt and scan it came to less than £500.
    • Posted

I know it is frustrating! Aww I wish I could afford to pay for one! Going to keep ringing the hospital and keep pestering, it seems to be the only way to get them to listen, which is so wrong!!
    • Posted

Hi,

I have now had a date for my scan which is in a few days. I ended up in a and e with pain and chest pain but was sent home. I also have asked my gp about having internal ultrasound but they disagreed and said I don't need to have one.. so hopefully if there is something more gynaecological, the mri can pick it up!

• Posted

At least you have the MRI that should pick up any problems as its the whole body. When did you have to go to A and E? Bless you I had chest pain in Dec not very strong but I think it was the stress for me caused it 😔. Good luck and let us know how it goes. My Gynae appnt is on Monday! X
    • Posted

I had to go last week, had breathing problems and chest pain, had a heart ecg but everything seemed okay. It sometimes happens at night though, I wake up not being able to breath very well etc, not sure if it's linked to anything or just me being anxious, although I don't feel v anxious really. I will do and good luck for you too! Keep updated!
    • Posted

That is strange though as when I was feeling like that it was in the evenings when I was lying on the sofa or just gone up to bed. I wonder if maybe it's to do with the cyst pressing on other bits
    • Posted

Yes it's nearly always later on and when I'm in bed/asleep. Hmm yeah could be. I've also been experiencing burning sometimes when going to toilet and sometimes tiny bit of blood but I've kind of just left these for now and see if they go. I feel like I have too many symptoms for my gp to deal with haha and like I'm stressing over all of them too much but just want to go back to normal!!
    • Posted

Def mention the wee and blood thing that will be a bladder infection I'm sure. I have a stronger wee when the pain is bad too, and more frequent but no blood. I know what you mean about the number of symptoms, last time I saw my GP he looked very confused and in the end told me we were out of time and I would have to book another appointment, a double one! 😄
    • Posted

Yes I will be, I'm not due to go until next week. I know it's annoying as there's never enough time!

Ahh right okay, what is that? Aww that's a bit annoying about no detail but at least you're getting closer to getting sorted which is really good!! Aww glad you're feeling more positive, hope you don't have to wait too long for the op!

• Posted

Endometriosis, it's where womb tissues grow outside of the womb and so you end up bleeding from those areas on your period, which is painful but also causes pain when you are not bleeding because the blood can't go anywhere so causes irritation all the time. (Laymans terms sorry!). I'm not convinced though, I still think it's a cyst

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.