Are my symptoms sign of a cyst?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I've been having symptoms for few weeks and doctors think it could be something to do with ovaries. I have had sharp shooting type pain, similar to bad stitch, in right lower abdomen, it wasn't constant but for a few days this week it has been. I have also suffered from bad constipation and nausea too. Blood count normal up to now. I went for abdomen ultrasound scan and results came back normal, however I was meant to have a transvaginal ultrasound but didn't in the end, should I ️maybe ask to have this done? I am now waiting to go for an Mri scan which I'm sure will pick anything up if this is something like a cyst? I am just really worried as some members of family have had them, some benign and some not. At the moment I am on a lot of laxatives to help with bowel movements, but just don't know what else I can do at the moment. I also went for emergency X-ray as my doctor was worried due to being nauseous and shooting pain but have not had results yet. Any advice on what it could be would be appreciated!

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jess I just got back from gynae appnt. He thinks it could be endometriosis so I'm going to have a laparoscopy. He wasn't very impressed with the results of my CT scan that I had done privately, as all they said in the notes was that it is small, no other info detailing size or type or anything. So because of the 'small' he isn't convinced that is causing my problem, but either way the op will hopefully find whatever the problem is. Have to wait up to 16 weeks but I am on the cancellation list too as I can be available at short notice. Feeling a bit more positive about things now x
    • Posted

Hi Louise

Just wondered how you were doing and whether you have found out anything else yet?

• Posted

Hi Jess

Thanks for asking ☺️. Still waiting for laproscopy pre op appointment I'm afraid. I called the secretary at the hospital, all she could do was confirm I am on the list but could give me no indication of when it will be. I'm about 4 weeks in to a potential 16 week wait so who knows when it will be!

How about you did you get to see the GP again?

Louise x

• Posted

Hi,

Ahh okay, oh the waiting is frustrating isn't it, keep ringing up! Maybe ask to be put on the cancellation list too? I did go and see my gp again and she sent some things off for testing but I think she was waiting for the mri results too before seeing me again. I managed to get a cancellation for my MRI and had that done 2 weeks ago. Had to drink a litre of an awful tasting drink beforehand, and then had cannula with different things put into that, so now just waiting for a letter now with the results and my next appointment.. It was weird though because the radiologist told me to ring the Monday after and the secretary wouldn't tell me anything about my results.. which is making me worry!! 🙈

• Posted

Also when you got your scan results, how did you get them and how long did they take? Did they phone you or a letter or? Also, did you get referred to a gynaecologist but a gastro consultant or by your doctor after finding the cyst? Sorry lots of questions!
    • Posted

Don't worry! No news is good news, if it was anything bad they would have contacted you well before your follow up appointment ☺️. The secretary just isn't allowed to discuss results I would think. Not sure why radiologist told you to ring, I've never had to do that for CT or Colonoscopy, had to see consultant.

I am on the cancellation list so hopefully won't be waiting the full stretch!

Let me know how your results go.

Take care

Louise x

• Posted

I didn't get to see a consultant for over a month after my CT and Colonoscopy to get results face to face, but did get a letter in the meantime confirming the CT results. I had gone private for that one though. I got re-referred by docs for Gynae after all the gastro investigations drew blanks, they only did it because I insisted 😕
    • Posted

Hi,

No I'm not sure why they said to ring either, and ahh okay! Think I should get a letter next week hopefully! Yes I will let you know!

X

• Posted

Hi Louise,

So I have had my mri results today over the phone after ringing up and still not receiving a letter. The secretary said that the mri showed that there are enlarged lymph glands, which I'm not sure what that means really in terms of what's wrong but I am quite worried. Apparently there will be a meeting to discuss in 2 weeks and go from there.. Couldn't tell me exactly where they were either, somewhere in tummy.. so not sure what to think really! Think I will make appointment with docs this week to go talk about it.

Jess

• Posted

Hi Jess, bless you that's not really very helpful they have only given you part of the result by the sound of it 😕. Good idea to go to the Dr I'm sure they will make you feel more at ease. Try not to worry if they find anything bad they wouldn't leave you hanging about for weeks xx
    • Posted

They had the meeting about 10 days ago and I'm quite worried now as the doctor at hospital has asked to see me a lot sooner than originally planned but said not to worry.. so going in six days rather than weeks, why would they bring it forward? Should I be worried?
  • Posted

Briefly - in Jan 15, I passed blood in my urine.  So, within one week I had a scan, then cystoscopy, to rule out bladder cancer.  I have since had transvaginal scan, us scan, and ct scan with contrast, to check kidney and urinary tract function.  It was the CT scan which revealed I had a cyst on my ovary.  The tv scan two weeks before had not showed this cyst.  I am now having another scan to see if the cyst has grown, next week.  My point is that the transvaginal scan is supposed to pick up on problems with ovaries, but it did not in my case. Hope you go on o.k Jess please update us, and try not to worry x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.