Are there any comprehensive do's and don'ts for newly diagnosed Barretts Oesophagus sufferers??

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi folks,

This is my first posting to the Barretts Oesophagus group, having just been diagnosed with Barretts and a Hiatus Hernia on my Birthday (what a birthday present). I am amazed at how quickly the symptoms have arisen. Suddenly I can eat very little (both in quantity and variety) and trying to find my way around what I should eat, drink etc. I feel left in limbo by my consultant and GP, who just said I would have an endoscopy every 2 years, and that I needed to manage it well or it could lead to cancer, a bit worrying when they are not advising me what I should do!

Are there any diet sheets available or a comprehensive do and don't hand book??

Regards

Larraine

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Larraine,

One very important don't is to ever think this has gone if you feel better,I've had four months literally free of any major problems but this past week have had a return to less pleasant days and nights,not as bad as pre Christmas but nevertheless there,I have not been cautious enough and have let my regime slip thinking it had gone.

So therefore one big do is to stick to your regime that works,eat and drink sensibly,do not overeat,nor drink too much,and never get to the point where I was stupid enough to think I had beat it,now I am playing cautious again,what a mug I am!

I will get better and I'll do it within this week,I know what not to do now.

Wish me luck

Regards Malc

• Posted

Hi Larraine,

I am sorry to hear that you found out about Barret on your birthday. I really don't know how the GI doc decide when one should have the next endoscopy. I was told I have to do it every year. I don't think I like to do that cause I did not feel good for a long time. My stomach is bloated since the endoscopy and my chest pain has increased. I am eating less now and that seems to help. Less carb helps too and no sugar. Ginger tea is awesome. I have taken chocolate out of my diet. I found out that I cough immediately after eating it. This blog has really help me not to think that this is the end if the world for me.

I have stopped taking Omeprazole because I have constant headaches. Now I am taking homeopathy. Don't know if it is working or not. But my headaches are gone. I don't know if I am doing the right thing... I am just hoping I am! I will give my homeopath a chance to help me. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi JulsW

No it is not the end of the world for you I am sure. I am not sure how they decide how often to see you with the endoscopy appts - it is usually 2 years here in the UK unless they want to keep a closer eye on things as far as I am aware.

Lemon is a strange one as it is acidic but then turns to alkaline when it hits the stomach from what I have read. I very often have some hot water and a little fresh lemon squeezed into it and find that is good too.

Good luck with the homeopathy - keep us posted of how you go. Just be sure to keep the acid under control as well as you can though by whatever means you need.

Good luck

Barnie

• Posted

confused HI Malcom ,Jules w and Barni , im gonna be honest it scares me to go off the diet the docs asked me to follow, and like you Malcolm i thought maybe the diet or the meds were working then wham 2 bad nights,does anyone else khow the length of the area the barrets has infected .mines 29cm x2 cm is bad

Melanie

• Posted

Hi Mel,

I think mine is a bit longer/wider than that,at least it seemed it on the picture they shew me,but oddly enough I seem to be over this dodgy spell again,you know I'm not sure if too much milk did me,I actually love banana milk shake in a carton and I partook of some yesterday,maybe,not,I also had an orange (not good) and enjoyed that but god only knows Mel,shooting in the dark really,but touch wood no discomfort at the moment.

I must continue to experiment and see what affects me,keep a list maybe.

One other thing I've been out on my cycle today,for two years I have been recovering from dual knee relacements,and at last I feel confident enough to cycle,maybe exercising with vigour helps,fresh air in and all that,I do think it is a plus,I will beat this,I promise you,it won't go away but I shall stall it!!

(I hope!!)

Here's wishing you a good night's sleep and comfort through the day,someone wrote on one of these forums it won't be the Barretts that kills you,it'll be some other assailant,'tis true,worry not

Regards Malc

• Posted

Hi All,

Interesting to hear of the ups and downs, I agree Malc relaxing the diet regime can be disastrous as I have also found, be it just eating a little more than usual or small piece of bread or dressing on food, resulted in me being in agony for a couple of days. One sip of tea had me feeling like my throat and stomach was on fire!

I try a walk after an evening meal and this really seems to help also stretching exercises.

I think the Lansoprazole is making me tired also, but haven't dared drop it, but i have started taking the alternative remedies such as DGL & slippery elm.

This network does help to feel ones not alone in the strive to conquer this

Thanks for all your contributions, keeps me sane!!! joking it is not getting to me that much!!

Larraine

• Posted

Hi there,

Found out today a product with a good success rate at which reducing reflux/gerd problems.It's called D-Limonene natural orange peel oil,which apparently coats the lining where acid eats in,read up on it,see what you think.

Regards Malc

• Posted

Cheers all just a note on the D-Limonese I tried this 4 months ago with limited success but that does not mean it will not help others just a note Jarrow brand was of good quality purchased off internet strange when you could tell when it dissolved the taste of orange was there which I quite liked but did not notice enough of a effect to continue its also suppose to help your liver a lot check into mastic gum there is all form that I tried also with some success

Luck to all

• Posted

Lorraine I've need on protonix twice a day 20 mg each have tried to get down to just one a day with limit success it is very difficult when you have. Barrett's liken it a bit to Russian roulette my GI dr said it you are getting the burn make it stop at all cost thanks for scaring the daylights out of me dr lol

Luck to you

• Posted

Hi all,

Like I've said before this Barretts is a bugger,recently I've had that all too familiar feeling of acid,discomfort,etc etc. after having had 3 or 4 months feeling much better

So today I changed my breakfast by not having so much milk on the cereal and I feel a lot better for it,I must get this checked out 'cos I love milk,but I must be cautious because I've been here before,thinking I'd sussed it,however will see how things go.

Hope all you fellow sufferers are coping OK,be glad to know of any new found product which has helped anyone,I wish my doctor would give me CAVED-S it's still around and would help I know,but alas so far no joy.

Anyway I've had a good tea,chicken,pasta and chinese veg,feel full but not bloated,that'll do me!

Regards Malc

• Posted

Hi, I have converted from cereals to porridge for breakfast and found this is the easiest meal of the day, great with berries also.

Larraine

• Posted

Hi ,

Yes I did that last year and I believe it helped a lot,I use the minimum of milk,plus enough oats to make the mix just about clam together,do you use sugar? I feel sugar also contributes to the worsening of the symptoms,and I use a lot of sugar,in brews and cereal,another avenue to explore.

Regards Malc

• Posted

I do love my cereal with berries. I have cut milk from my diet, due to for ever having to clear my throat. Almond milk non-sweetened is just as good as dairy milk on cereal. Also OK in Red Bush non caffeine (Rooibos) tea.
  • Posted

No don't use sugar, have cut out completely, and much better for it. The berries help to make the porridge more tasty.

Tried Spelt products, bread is really good, easily digestible but the pasta not so good, although it didn't cause any problems, just not as tasty as normal wheat pasta.

Larraine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.