Are these fibro symptoms?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi. I've just joined this site as I've recently been diagnosed with fibro. I have lots of symptoms and I wondered if anyone else suffered from these too as they're not on the general "list" of fibro symptoms. Other than the usual pain in my neck, shoulders, back, hips, elbows and knees, IBS, fatigue, muscle stiffness, no sleep etc, I suffer really bad from muscle twitches. I get them all over my body - some are slight and some are quite violent. They're pretty much continual. Sometimes when I go to bed the twitches even happen in my throat forcing out a sound (which is very scary!) I also get hand tremors which is very unsettling. I have pain on the inside of my thighs which feels like I've been doing the splits (which i can assure you i havent!) And the soles of my feet are also painful but this comes and goes whereas the other pains are there all the time. And finally - i seem to be clenching my jaws all the time. If anyone else suffers from these symptoms please let me know as I'll feel better knowing it's not just me! Plus if you have any remedies that you think would help I'm open to trying anything! Thanks in advance xxx

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had all of these at one point or another. I can tell you they are very common symptoms for Fibro and about 20 other things.

There are a few things I have found that help.

First, Magnesium Glycinate It helps with muscle pain. cramps and spasms, Along with a lot of other things. MG is very absorbable and better for you muscles that some of the more commonly recommended ones. Start with a regular dosage and if you don't have problems you can boost the dosage as needed. It will have to build up in your system so you may not notice a change right away.

Second, Methylfolate B Complex. I always say get Methylfolate because it is more absorbable for most is not a synthetic form of B vitamins. This will help with pain your mind and mood, it also helps with nerve and DNA repair.

There are a lot of other things that can help to but those are my best for pain and muscles.

et me know if you need more.

• Posted

Hey Rhianna - thanks so much for not only confirming otherpeople get these symptoms (phew!) But for suggesting some things that might help. At this stage i'd take just about anything!!!! Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Trish,

First I’m going to ask you if you were diagnosed by a GP or did you go to a Rhuematologist?  If you haven’t I would strongly suggest you go to one and get second opinion.  I have fibromyalgia, myofascial syndrome complex.  You might have the myo too.  I was in a car accident.  Which caused my diagnosis.  

The myo can cause pain anywhere. 

I’m so sorry you have such pain.  Ask your dr for some muscle relaxers.   

I was diagnosed 18 yrs ago.  Also if you have access to a hot tub. Go!!!! And a warm pool for mild exercise is very benificial.  The clenching if your jaws is normal you might want to ask dentist if you have TMJ.  Or the clenching if your jaws could be because of the pain fron the Fibro.  We tend to stiffen from the pain.  Not sure on the twitching.  I’d ask your dr on that one. I have RLS too.  Not sure if your problem could be related.

It all goes along with the Fibro. 

But please if you haven’t seen a Rhuematologist I would strongly recommend you see one.  I’ve know a few people where their GP diagnosed them with it because they had exhausted the testing.   And later they had gone to another dr and found that it was their back.  There’s a special test they do. No blood test can show Fibro.  

I hope I’ve helped some for you.  

Hope you get some relief. 

Lori

• Posted

Hi Lori. Thank you for responding. Yes I've been diagnosed by a Consultant Rhuematologist after seeing her for about a year (I was seeing my Dr about all the problems for about 2 years before that!) I also have degenerative disc disease in my back so it's interesting that you mentioned about back pain. Re all the other things - I think because fibro has so many aspects you just tend to put everything down to it but i'm definitely going to mention the twitching to my rheumatologist. Thanks

• Posted

Trish, I too have had most of your fibro symptoms and low spine has crumbled so I know how miserable you may be sometimes. Gentle stretching and moderate walking have helped me. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hello - you are not alone in these symptoms.  I find my twitches, jaw clenching, and some other weird symptoms to be more bothersome than pain.

Like others have mentioned B methofolate, Mag/Cal, and CBD oil have helped me.  

I also take Low Dose Naltrexone, which has helped with all symptoms.  

Hope you get some relief.

• Posted

Hi Trish, so firstly sorry to hear you are feeling this way but I hope that this will comfort you in knowing that you are not alone. I got diagnosed over a year and a half ago, mine is predominantly the pain fatigue and ibs. I have noticed more recently that I clench my jaws a lot but this may have something to do with the fact that I have a lot of stresses and I'm prone to feeling irritating by what might seem to others as minute issues. Everyone has different symptoms but at some point we all probably have some of the main fibro problems. The twitching I have definitely had but thankfully haven't had for a little while. Mine was the lower part of the buttocks and back of the thigh. It was so uncomfortable, and I wish I could tell you how it went but I can't remember. Stress is a massive factor in fibromyalgia symptoms and when my stress is reduced so are the pains. I do yoga, eat earlier to avoid ibs flare ups, reduced my sugar intake, eat more fruits and take vitamin D supplements, as well as the regular meds. I'm getting there and I'm hopeful. Hope this helps a little?

• Posted

Hi there. Thank you for responding. I forgot to mention the fatigue aspect! It's unreal. I have to lie down for an hour or two nearly every day and never get up again feeling refreshed! I constantly feel like I have a hangover. My twitches have actually gotten worse in the last few weeks but now that you mention stress it makes sense as my stress levels have been through the roof! I'm definitely going to try gentle exercise - maybe swimming, cut down on sugar and try a few of the homeopathic suggestions ive been given on here. Thanks for your advice.

• Posted

Hi Trish, I definitely identify with most of your symptoms. The twitches are so violent I hesitate to even call them twitches. The first time my husband saw them he thought I was having a seizure.(I wasn't) I too get terrible aching in my inner thighs. Regular, gentle stretching helps. I got a mouth guard from my dentist for my jaw clenching.I have a lot of ligament pain in my feet, as well as burning. Lidocaine patches help the ligament pain. I have stomach ulcers and can't take many medications. I take warm baths with lavender Epsom salts, put a heat pack on my sore spots, do some floor exercises before bed to wear out those "active" muscles, then stretch gently and pray a lot! I'm on an antidepressant which helps me to stay positive and think differently about the pain.  Stress is definitely our enemy!

• Posted

Hi Jackie. Thank you for replying. It sounds awful to say this but I'm so glad you have muscle twitches - but only because it makes me feel slightly better knowing I'm not going mad! And you are right - I think muscle spasms might be a better description! I'm on an anti depressant too. I have several herniated discs in my back also so I'm on morphine patches for that but I'm also taking 2700mg gabapentin. Not sure if you have tried it? It's not really working for me so the Dr has said the next step is Lyrica - again would you have any knowledge of this drug? I'm definitely going to try some of the other suggestions on here to help with pain but I think the main thing I need to do is manage my stress, which can be difficult. Thanks again for your input. Really appreciate it.

• Posted

Hi Trish, I know what you mean about being glad to see someone else has the same symptoms. I haven't spoken to anyone else who has twitches/ contractions/spasms  to the degree I have them. Fortunately I don't have back problems so know it's not related to anything structural. I've had cramping in the back of my thighs so severely Ive been on the floor sweating. I don't go anywhere anymore without a small bottle of tonic water with me. At the first sign of a  cramp I drink some and it works to alleviate the pain.

I haven't tried Lyrica. I'm on Cymbalta and Skelaxin. It was difficult getting used to the Cymbalta but it works really well for me so I hung in there with it.  My friend got so anxious on it she went to the ER. I'm not prone to anxiety so maybe that helped. It's different for everyone. I've also had counseling to help deal with my stress which was very helpful. We also worked on determining the level of activity that I can tolerate.Staying positive helps with the way I perceive the pain.

If you can do yoga or tai chi, they're both helpful. I enjoy swimming but it makes the pain and stiffness worse for me. Maybe my pool isn't warm enough or possibly I swim too hard.  It feels good in the moment but not afterward.

Take care of yourself. I'm sorry you're in so much pain and so fatigued. Hang in there trying different things. Once you find out what works for you things will get better.

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie. Thanks so much for your response. Hopefully you will feel better (like me) knowing someone else has the twitches/spasms etc. It's very unsettling! I'm definitely Going to try some of the suggestions from people on here including yourself. I'll let you know how i get on. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Trish...I can commiserate with you hear. I get so nervous with the twitching and fatigue thinking it could be als or something sinister like that.

My legs and shoulders feel like they are so weak and burn with fatigue...with no relief....does his happen to you? I am still under going tests with a neurologist and have no diagnosis yet. So stressful. I hope we get relief!!!

• Posted

Hi Lisa. Yes I was starting to think it was Parkinsons. Very scary. I also feel burning in my shoulders and neck which is very uncomfortable and sore. I hope for all our sakes we get some relief asap. Thanks for your response and I hope you feel better soon
  • Posted

Hi, I’m so sorry to hear all this.  I have been suffering similar symptoms.  have you been bit or scratched by an animal in the last year or two or come into contact with animal sylvia through an open cut or sore?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.