Are these Lexapro side effects normal??

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on Zoloft for 4 weeks and had a horrible time on it so my Dr switched me to Lexapro 10mg Daily. Today is day 6 on Lexapro and I feel horrible. Shaky, no appetite, anxious, nausea. When do these side effects go away and are these even from the lexapro? Please help. 

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The Lexapro PI recommends 5 or 10mg as the starting dose with maintenance dose of 10mg, for most people. Don’t exceed 10mg. 
    • Posted

How long does it take tho to know if 10mg is working well or if someone needs an increase? I don’t want to feel awful for months more. So it’s just confusing as to what to do. 
  • Posted

How do I know what the right thing to do is. On 10mg for 2 weeks and felt horrible. Dr said if I wanted to increase to 15mg I could so I did 4 days ago and today is horrible. Dizzy, nauseated, super tired, anxious and shaky. Is it because of the increase or just anxiety. Do I tough it out or go back to 10mg? I just wish I knew it’d get better soon. I feel so lost. 
    • Posted

If it were me, I would take 5mg tonight and see how I feel tomorrow. 5mg a day works well for a lot of people. I’d consider the ER today for rescue medication, ativan. You should not have to endure that pain. 
    • Posted

Hopeful each time you increase your side effects start all over.. I really think the side effects linger for some longer than others.. I bumped up to 12.5mg. 16 days ago and I'm still having side effects but it is lessen every day.. It just takes time.. You must not b in a hurry for Lexapro to work it just makes for more aniexty.. Just chill and know that u r not alone in the feeling that u r having as far as side effects we r all different as to what degree we have them and for how long.. Give Lexapro 2-6 weeks from the day u start your bump up to see if u need more.. No reason to over medicate yourself...Take Care.. 😊

• Posted

You said you felt awful when you were on 10mg for 2 weeks. Im assuming awful to mean Lexapro drowsiness, dizziness, nauseau, etc. Have you felt any benefit yet? I have felt a benefit, less ruminating and less anxiety, I have been on it for 10 days. I hope you stay with it because I think its a great med for depression and especially anxiety. First, back off that 15mg, Lexapro is an incredibly strong SSRI.
    • Posted

I take it in the morning so I think I’ll go back to the 10mg and stay there as I had only been on the 10mg for 2 weeks when I went up to 15mg 4 days ago. I just want the anxiety and shakiness to stop. That’s why my Dr said after 2 weeks I could go up to 15mg. Now on 15mg I have all the same anxiety issues plus nausea and dizziness. I hope going bk to 10mg eases some of that. 

Thanks for ur advice. 

• Posted

Yes it is and yes I have bumped down after about 4 days.. I started on 15mg. And had to bump down to 12.5mg. The side effects were just to much..I have been at 12.5mg. For 16 days and the side effects r easing up somewhat..
    • Posted

That helps to hear that. I’ve been on 15mg only 4 days too. I think it’s too much. I’ve never been so sensitive to antidepressants before till my Dr started switching stuff around 2 mo ago. Now it’s as if I’m all messed up. Awful. I hope since I’ve only been on 15mg for 4 days that the side effects diminish fast when I go down to 10mg. 

Thanks for the encouragement. 

• Posted

I hope so to.. I’m sure they will.. I know mine did after 4 days of15 mg. Way to much for me at once.. I may bump back down to 10mg. If my side effects don’t go away by next week..Take Care and try to Chill..😊

• Posted

The only thing that helps me with anxiety and these side effects is Clonazepam. So scared to take it too often tho. So I suffer every day and take it only a few times a week when I can’t stand it anymore. 
    • Posted

Hopeful.. That’s a Good plan .. especially if u r not going to continue with the Clonazepan.. because that’s one less thing u have to bump off of..I’m doing it cold turkey because back in 1992 they handed them out like candy and I was one of the unlucky ones and got hooked on them and had to check in to get off of them.. so they r a no go for me now..it’s a ok drug if u keep it under control as to how many u take.. and don’t get dependent on them...Hope Your Dsy is A Great One..😊

• Posted

Sorry for the frequent posts but was just thinking- how do I know if the symptoms I’m feeling are from the lexapro or just my anxiety being worse and the med not working? 

Just curious. I hope it’s just the med side effects cuz then that is temporary. 

The symptoms I have could go either way I suppose, as anxiety related and/or side effects.

Did most of u have similar symptoms with Lex? No appetite, nausea, increased anxiety, tired, shaky? Thanks smile

• Posted

Hopeful... I'm no Dr but if I was a betting lady which I'm not.. I am almost POSITIVE that what u r experiencing is Lexapro in your system doing its thing.. Please do not worry so much about it for we have all done the same exact thing ...The only differents may b different side effects but most r the same..I have had lots of sadness .. Throat aniexty.. And no motivation and no joy.. But I'm hoping after time some r most of the feelings I'm feeling will b a thing of the past..this is no picnic.. It's a hard battle to fight.. Keep posting if u need to we will respond.. Have a pleasant evening...😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.