Are those genital warts? What should I do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I noticed that bumps started appearing around my vaginal opening about 3 weeks ago, but I didn't know what they were and I thought they would pass quickly. However, they grew in size and also spread to the labia minora (the bumps circled in the second picture that aren't that visible). From what I've read online, I'm pretty sure they are genital warts. I live in a small town that doesn't have a gynecologist, and because of quarantine I won't be able to get to one soon. Is there a way to cure them at home or to stop them from spreading at least? I read that castor oil is a safe method even if it takes a lot of time.

Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Guys (and gals),

Just to be clear, here are a few facts

1. Genital warts are caused predominantly by HPV 6 & HPV 11
    2. They are sexually transmitted
    3. Clearance of the infection is largely down to the host's (i.e. patient's) immune response
    4. Left untreated, the median time to clear the infection is around 18 months; shorter for some (lucky) patients and much longer for others with underlying health conditions, e.g. untreated HIV, diabetes, on long-term steroids and immunosuppressives etc.
    5. All available treatments are largely COSMETIC, not curative; possibly with the exception of imiquimod (Aldara) but this works by boosting the patient's immune response (see point 3).

There's good coverage of this condition in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genital_wart

Adhari.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.