Are you scared or worried about a Colonoscopy ?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have had 2 colonoscopy's and I am having another one tomorrow at 9am. First let me reassure you that it does NOT hurt at all. You will either have a general or local anaesthetic and before you know it you will be having a cup of tea and a biscuit in the recovery room. The worst thing is drinking all that fluid in such a short time,but, it is essential that you do so as to clear the colon (obviously) so that the Doctor can see what's what. Also the sore bottom is not to good either but , hey ho !!! I would advise not to be to nonchalant about the fact that (nothing's happening yet) trust me it will. Stay VERY close to the toilet because you will need the explosive start of Usain Bolt to get there with having an accident. Luckily we live in a Bungalow , even so I almost knocked my husband to the ground in an effort to get there, not always successfully : /. So, get a supply of wet wipes, a jar of Vaseline and plenty of pairs of joggers or PJ bottoms as if you are like me you WILL need the. So there, relax it is soon over and as I said it does NOT hurt.

4 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Many here will disagree with you:-)

I found it OK apart from a couple of twinges but the probe stimulated my vagal nerve causing my BP and heart rate to drop. A consequence of this was that I went into atrial fibrillation, That led to taking warfarin to stop any clotting and a nasty drug amiodarone to control my heart rate for about four months until I had a cardiversion. Yeah, pain free but consequences.

Be Lucky wth your results and watch your BP on the monitor. I spotted it before they did.

• Posted

Thanks Derek, I will look out for my BP as I also have a heart condition.  I realise now after reading other peoples stories that not everyone has a 'good' experience . I apologise for being silly and not reading all the responses. I thought I was being helpful but obviously not, so so sorry.  I do hope that at least some people will have the experience I had. 
    • Posted

Most people have a good experience. I was reassured before going by talking to friends and relatives who said it was a piece of cake.

The arrythmia nurse said that my problem is not that uncommon. 

Warn them about your heart although they probably know. I had AF after my heart valve replacement two years ago and thought that I was over it after earlier cardioversion. During the colonoscopy my BP went to 40/27 and my heart rate to 30bpm. Strange but I did not feel unwell. 

Will hear how you get on. I'm having my post cardioversion ECG tomorrow

• Posted

Will let you know Derek. Good luck with your ECG tomorrow.
    • Posted

I,m glad your experience was pain free Mary but can't agree that itis the the norm. Most people iI have spoken to about it have experienced pain, some more than others. It depends on many factors as to how severe that pain is. As for general anaesthetic, that has been a detfinate no no when I asked. As stated some sail through it. You were one of the lucky ones

• Posted

Hello Babs. Yes I probably was one of the lucky ones. I have been this morning for my 3rd colonoscopy and I have to admit it was just a 'little' uncomfortable but that's all. Luckily no polyps or anything else had grown since 2011 so I was given the all clear. Tea and toast afterwards, then on my way home. I shall be careful what I write, if anything , in the future re my 1st post. Sun is out here, going to sit in the garden now with a cuppa. Bye .
    • Posted

Good result.

Don't be careful of  the good experiences that you post. The more good colonoscopy reports the better. It is a fact of life that people who have a bad experience will have more to say about it rather than the vast majority who have a practically painless experience. That is what happens on all news groups and forums on all issues. In the media only bad news is news. Good happy events are not. Never see, 1000 Jumbo's  each with 450 people onboard landed  safely at JFK this week but if one bounces down the runway that is news.

My ECG showed me back in sinus rhythm. Seems that in cardioversion they stimulate the vagal nerve to get the heart back into rhythm whereas the different stimulation of it during the colonoscopy disturbed it.  

• Posted

Thanks for your comments Derek. You are so right.  Hope everything goes well for you in the future. 
    • Posted

Final thought. Isn't Vaseline expensive nowadays. A jar used to cost about 4d.
    • Posted

So glad everything's Ok! such a relief. And you are right people need to hear the positive experiences.
    • Posted

Vaseline 4d a jar ?  Showing y age there Derek : ).  Yes it was actually but lasts ages in my case.  Today I have experienced a bit of abdominal pain and cramp after my colonoscopy yesterday. Just thought I'd say.
    • Posted

Thanks Babs. Yea y right sometimes it's good to hear of a good experience about a procedure you are about to have. 
    • Posted

When I searched out an old jar it was over 20 years past it's sell by date:-)

I doubt if it deteriorated over the years. Perhaps a bit thicker.

• Posted

I did read an NIH (National Institute of Health) study that, in summary, said 25 -35% of males, and 35 - 45% of females have moderate to extreme pain with a colonoscopy.  Males just have a straighter colon usually.
  • Posted

Well mary who made YOU an authority on how OTHER people experince this procedure because what you said is absolute rot,just ask my consultant.However I'm glad your procedure was comfortable but just because it was and your fortunate, does not give you the right to insinuate that some of us SUFFERERS of this procedure are telling porkies.

• Posted

Morning hel5zt.  My my you have got out of bed the wrong side. If you knew me you would know I was only voicing MY experience and the hope that it would allay any fears for others about to have the procedure, but hey ho you can't please every one.  You seem pretty aggressive toward me for just 'saying'. Let's face it H it's not a life threatening op so get over yourself. Think of Stephen Sutton who died on Wedns. X
    • Posted

She did not say that she is an expert just that her two previous procedures were not painfull. We can only speak for our own experiences and those of friends and relatives. When I asked my consultant he said that most people do not have a problem but those that do have a twisty colon. The pain is not from the probe but from air in your colon.

As I did not have any polys removed or biopsies taken I cannot comment on that part

The sedative is supposed to make you forget the experience even it was painfull.

Perhaps your consultant is not that good at it?

• Posted

Thank you Derek. Just put my runner beans in this afternoon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.