Are you scared or worried about a Colonoscopy ?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have had 2 colonoscopy's and I am having another one tomorrow at 9am. First let me reassure you that it does NOT hurt at all. You will either have a general or local anaesthetic and before you know it you will be having a cup of tea and a biscuit in the recovery room. The worst thing is drinking all that fluid in such a short time,but, it is essential that you do so as to clear the colon (obviously) so that the Doctor can see what's what. Also the sore bottom is not to good either but , hey ho !!! I would advise not to be to nonchalant about the fact that (nothing's happening yet) trust me it will. Stay VERY close to the toilet because you will need the explosive start of Usain Bolt to get there with having an accident. Luckily we live in a Bungalow , even so I almost knocked my husband to the ground in an effort to get there, not always successfully : /. So, get a supply of wet wipes, a jar of Vaseline and plenty of pairs of joggers or PJ bottoms as if you are like me you WILL need the. So there, relax it is soon over and as I said it does NOT hurt.

4 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Calm down. She did not say that she is an expert just that her two previous procedures were not painfull. We can only speak for our own experiences and those of friends and relatives. When I asked my consultant he said that most people do not have a problem but those that do have a twisty colon. The pain is not from the probe but from air in your colon.

As I did not have any polys removed or biopsies taken I cannot comment on that part

The sedative is supposed to make you forget the experience even it was painfull.

Perhaps your consultant is not that good at it?

• Posted

Actually derekek, the polyp removal was a doddle. Didn't feel that at all . That was removed on my second colonoscopy which was less painful than my first and third so not only does it depend on each person, it also depends on each procedure on the amount of pain one suffers. My last one was stopped half way through because it was so painful and Iwas well sedated. Glad your results were good.
    • Posted

I come from a family that has lost a lot of people to colon cancer so any symptoms put us on Red Alert.
    • Posted

Morning Derek. Thanks for your 2pennyworth. Yes , the Consultant is the same one I had for all 3 cols and is highly rated. Maybe some are better at doing the op than others as is the case in all walks of life. eg. I'm a good gardener but can't do cryptic crosswords. Have a nice day Derek, I'm off to water my Tomatoes.
    • Posted

Derek. Would you please send your message to Hel5zt again . The one you sent to me by mistake last night, as it was meant for her not me. Thank you.
  • Posted

That's right.  It only is painful to those that feel pain.

That is YOUR body.  Not everybody is built with the blueprint unfortunately.  To tell someone it doesn't hurt when it obviously does is called being callous.

I had a screening sigmoidoscopy 15 years ago.  I went in not feeling anxious whatsoever.  I just told myself that people have them all the time, and they know what they are doing and will make sure I am comfortable.

Well, I learned my lesson.  On the one hand, it is not good to scare people.

But, on the other hand, if people are not given straightforward information, then the trust of people will BE LOST, and probably FOREVER for some. 

For me that is the case.  I've never gone back for a screening colonoscopy.  And since I have no family history of any cancer (except that related to smoking, which isn't my issue), then why should I trust those medical "professionals" to do such a highly invasive procedure on me?

Somehow I don't think I would have any peace of mind receiving unprotected anal penetration with a medical device that has been shown to be impossible to clean reliably.  Plus the other risks of perforation (1/1200), possible excessive hemorrhaging from biopses taken (of which only 5% of polyps actually become cancerous), and also adverse reactions to the medications used.  All those adverse effects equal about 5/1000 that should be balanced by people against the risk of cancer.

• Posted

I promised myself I would post reassurance on one of these boards when I was done my colonoscopy and endoscopy...and I'm done! I did it!! And I was extremely scared. Like, for two months, scared. Ruined my summer worrying about it. 

As someone with an anxiety disorder and a tendency to obsess, all I could think about was what they were going to do to me, and that I wouldn't be in control while I was "under". I had the procedures completely sedated with propofol (sp?).

The weeks leading up to it were the worst, and I thougth about backing out. My advice to anyone going through that kind of anxious hell is to take occasional anti-anxiety medication to get you throught the worst 'spells' and break the obsessive loop. Make yourself as comfortable as possible leading up to the procedure so you don't cancel. I used the odd .25 or .50 of xanax, or .25 or .50 of clonazapam (klonapin) to help me get through. And gravol to help me sleep (sometimes together). By the time the actual day rolled around I was quite calm -- as usual with anxiety, the anticipation is worse than the event.

Anyway, my prep went really well - not nearly as bad as some people seem to say. I thought I would be cramped over and nauseated from the laxative and it would bring back all the symptoms I was trying to cure. Instead, the release was just a steady stream of liquid that turned on and off for a few hours. Nothing that even aggravated my hemerroids (another worry). I sucked on a Ricola cough drop while a drank the glasses of well chilled drink through a straw. I only had to finish about 2/3 of the mixture because about half way through I was just expelling clear/yellowish liquid. Oh, and the night before I was told to take 3 laxative pills (I only took 2), so that had already cleaned me out some. Again, no violent cramping or anything.

I was told to start the prep/fasting 2 days before the appointment. I wouldn't do that the next time. One day was enough to do the job. The first day I ended up eating 2 scrambled eggs because my empty stomach was grinding on itself. The second day I had eggs for breakfast, too, and then did the juice/broth/jello/water fast the rest of the day before starting the laxative drink at 4pm.

So, that's my story. And I was so scared I was ready to quit. It turned out fine, and next time I'll do it differently and not be nearly so afraid. Please, if you're that anxioius, take something to help yourself relax. And if I did it, I swear ANYBODY can!!! Focus on how you will feel when you're done, and pick out some reward for yourself to think about instead of the fear. You can do it!! : )

I hope this post helps someone as much as some other posts helped me. 

• Posted

I too was feeling crazy with anxiety.  I gave my fears to God to carry.  I'm due for test on September 5th.  Going through with it this time.  I've cancelled several and I'm 56.   More worried about the anesthesia but they use a mild sedation and up and out within a couple hours! Better to go through this test and pray for success than to be diagnosed with CC.  Horrible ordeal.   Watched a close friend die.  He suffered so much.  

Thank you for the upbeat information.  Each day is a blessing. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reassurance only wish my experience was as good. I found the colonoscopy so painful and the banding even worse. I had gone expecting a easy procedure but compared to having had three babies naturally this pain was the worst 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear your experience wasn't pleasant : (

At least you're done?? You did it! Celebrate! Give yourself some kind of reward for going through it and surviving. 

Am impressed you had three babies naturally. Even with my second one, I was too far dilated too quickly for an epidural so they gave me some morphine. I'm a wimp! 

If you ever have to have another (colonoscopy, not baby), I suggest you ask for propofol - a very nice drug. Michael Jackson wouldn't have been abusing it if it didn't feel good (or so I told myself to allay my fears).

• Posted

I aam really scared and apprehensive about having a colonoscopy and dont want to go ahead with it, but then i'll worry if theres anything wrong that needed attention.

• Posted

Most people seem to manage just fine.  It can be a bit uncomfortable, but if you live in an area which will sedate you, go for it.  With any luck it will be over before you realise they have started!  That's what happened with my 1st one.

The prep can be unpleasant.  Again it depends on you, your area, and the stuff they give you.  I've had 3 different preps over the years and 2 were just fine. 

The best advice I can give is just to remember it's just 2 days discomfort for peace of mind.  Best wishes

• Posted

Dear Gillian, i have never had one and never will, but don't just blindly follow your docs request.  Get a second opinion from a doctor of your coice.   Colon cancer is scary thing but so are the dangers of a colonoscopy.  And yes, they can be very dangerous and accidents happen more often than you think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.