Are you scared or worried about a Colonoscopy ?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have had 2 colonoscopy's and I am having another one tomorrow at 9am. First let me reassure you that it does NOT hurt at all. You will either have a general or local anaesthetic and before you know it you will be having a cup of tea and a biscuit in the recovery room. The worst thing is drinking all that fluid in such a short time,but, it is essential that you do so as to clear the colon (obviously) so that the Doctor can see what's what. Also the sore bottom is not to good either but , hey ho !!! I would advise not to be to nonchalant about the fact that (nothing's happening yet) trust me it will. Stay VERY close to the toilet because you will need the explosive start of Usain Bolt to get there with having an accident. Luckily we live in a Bungalow , even so I almost knocked my husband to the ground in an effort to get there, not always successfully : /. So, get a supply of wet wipes, a jar of Vaseline and plenty of pairs of joggers or PJ bottoms as if you are like me you WILL need the. So there, relax it is soon over and as I said it does NOT hurt.

4 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I will NEVER have another as the sigmoidoscopy I had some 17 years ago felt like someone shoved a small rodent with sharp little claws up my backside and then that little rodent scurried around and around and around and around for what felt like the better part of a day before it could find its way out.  And that was with a sigmoidoscopy, which is like a colonoscopy light.  Never again.  I will NEVER undergo another such barbaric exam.
  • Posted

You are blessed then because I have torn every fibre in my lower back and the pain for weeks was excruciating and I couldn't move half an inch without being in agony. Even that DOES NOT compare with my colonoscopy. It was so painful it has traumatised me for life. I remember everything, did not need any rest time afterwards because the sedative did not work!

• Posted

I found it quite painful, and was told that it was probably because i had had a hysterectomy some years ago and the scarring would be incomfortable during the colonscopy. It was, very. The prep beforehand was awful too, making me feel very sick and uncomfortable. I hope i never have to have another one.!
  • Posted

I am neither worried nor scared because I will NEVER have this barbaric procedure.  I had a sigmoidoscopy screening some 15 years ago, and it just revealed to me that doctors lie.  I always investigate medical procedures thoroughly before agreeing to them.  In the US, where health care is totally a business with revenue as the goal, I am very careful.  And I worked in health care for decades, so I know my way around.
  • Posted

No, I am neither scared nor worried.  Because I would never submit myself to such a barbaric test for  "screening purposes."  About 1/200 of those who have a colonoscopy have a subsequent hospitalization for various reasons:  excessive bleeding, anesthesia issues (oftentimes related to a pre-existing respiratory issue such as emphysema), and more dramatically, perforation of the colon or avulsion of the spleen which results in a splenectomy surgery (from the colonoscope catching the side of the colon and stretching it which can result in pulling the ligature that secures the colon to the spleen).  All of these complications are far too much for me since I have no family history of cancer, other than those related to smoking, and I don't smoke, and also since I don't have lifestyle habits consistent with increased risk of colon cancer.  Yes, it is my risk, but just look  at the risks I just mentioned related to the colonoscopy procedure.  Plus, I refuse to be penetrated by a device which cannot be reliably cleaned, considering that these colonoscopes go some 4 - 6 feet in and these scopes have many crevices and a narrow port for water/air that is too small to allow anything to clean properly.  And the hepatitis bug is very hardy.  If any biopsies are done, then that is a perfect port for the entry of hepatitis .... and about 95% of any biopsies are totally benign anyway.  Yes, it is considered the gold standard for colon cancer prevention, but consider the risk of the test itself as there are many.  Even the use of some of the so called sedatives is a risk.  Versed or midazolam is called a sedative, but it is actually categorized as an amnesiac, meaning it impairs one's memory.  So it does NOT reduce any subsequent pain, but is given so that the patient hopefully does not remember it.  And hopefully, that amnesia is temporary, because I have read of cases in which permanent memory damage is done, resulting in highly skilled engineers and even doctors who cannot work any more because of loss of critical memory needed for their complex skills. 

• Posted

Dear All,

I had a colonoscopy today under conscious sedation. It was pretty much awake but very relaxed for the entire procedure. It didn’t hurt, a bit of pushing and shoving and it was over pretty quickly. I would have no hesitation recommending this.

The prep the day before was not so bad. 2 litres of Moviprep. Explosive. Great detox after Christmas. The solution is kinda lemon/lime flavor and you do get pretty sick of drinking it every 15 minutes but it does what it says on the tin.

But in ALL SERIOUSNESS the procedure was fine. The nurses were brilliant and the Doc gave me the all clear, no polyps, no cancer no nothin.

Having never had this procedure before I was terrified. I really built up a monster in my head and I read the internet way too much. I was convinced I had colon cancer or at least it could be colon cancer. I’m glad I pushed through and faced it because if there was something there getting it as early as possible is really important.

Take care all and God bless.

Kevin

• Posted

First let me reassure you that it does NOT hurt at all.

Stay  close to the Toilet after taking the Liquid

I suggest you keep some wipes with you

I went for my Colonoscopy and the Doctor shared some good news with me .I took the liquid as requested. I do not have to go back for 10 years !

• Posted

Very pleased to hear it, but your comments tell me why yours was painless. You are clear of any disease! I've now come to the conclusion after reading all the comments here that if there is nothing wrong with your bowel and you are given the right amount of sedative and analgesic it doesn't hurt. However, if like me and hundreds of others on this forum you have Diverticular Disease, inflammatory Bowel Disease, etc, a narrow or twisted colon, or have not been given the correct amount of sedative or pain relief the pain is worse than having a baby! Fortunately I don't have to have another one as diagnosed with DD and my polyp was hyperplastic so no follow up needed, just change of diet and fybogel meds. I know someone who was perfectly healthy who had a colonoscopy, felt really ill a day afterwards, and died. Seems the scope had deadly bugs on it. Family now taking further action against hospital.

• Posted

One month before my Colonoscopy procedure in the hospital  I started drinking one glass of water before eating.
  • Posted

I wish i read this before my colonoscopy haha i was TERRIFIED to go being only 27 😕

The drink was DISGUSTING, best to chug it so it gets down faster or you risk it coming up haha.

Took me about 2 weeks to finally have a normal BM...not sure if thats normal but thats what happened to me 😕 next one is in 2040 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.