ARM

Posted , 9 users are following.

CAN YOU HAVE A FLARE UP IN ONE ARM BUT NOT THE OTHER.  Trying to figure this out, if its from my injury or PM. 

thanks

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've had a flare in one foot, then both feet. My left hip, never my right. My right elbow, never my left.

For me it seems to hit my weak spots.

It gets to be ridiculous.

• Posted

It is possible but not usual. Though often it starts on one side and later spreads to the other. If it is persistently just on one side it is probably an "add-on" rather than just the PMR itself.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen , just came for ortho Dr. 

Have to start physical therapy for my shoulder from the accident. He wants to make sure I don't get a frozen shoulder.

I hope its not the PMR.  Been doing so well, down to 1.5 hate to see this mess it up.

• Posted

Hope it works - but don't go reducing in the meantime!

• Posted

When my Pain started last summer in my left arm  I was sent for physio  twice a week for over a month then when it started in my right arm was sent for more blood work  diagnosed with PMR then . It  left the left  arm about eight months later but still was in the other now both are pretty good .  
  • Posted

I am also trying to figure this out.  Had a cortisone shot in my right shoulder which didn't do anything (nor does naproxen help) so just had an xray to hopefully find out what is going on.  Right shoulder has very limited range of motion--can't raise my arm or touch behind my back and it is very painful.  Also can't sleep on right side.  Left arm is ok although there is a slight bit of pain. 

It's funny because prior to this, I thought my pmr was mostly in my groin and leg area.  My arms were affected, but not terribly. I had a terrible right knee issue which I discovered was probably an add-on so finally consented to a cortisone shot there which worked (thank you Eileen!!).  Recently, the pmr seems to have eased from my lower body and increased in my upper body.  

I don't recall any injury to my shoulder.  Overuse is a possibility because I am terrible at pacing.  Just plain odd.

• Posted

So whom ever:  if it is the PMR do I need to take a higher dose of predisone.  Nothing else hurts.
    • Posted

I am waiting to see what my doctor thinks.  Sometimes I do increase to a higher dose to see if it does anything, but I am not going to in this case.  I prefer to be more cautious, especially because my doctor said one possiblity could be a side effect of the prednisone.  And since the cortisone shot didn't work, I can't see how increasing my pill dosage will help.  But I am not an expert and this is only my gut feeling.  

• Posted

Karen, a couple of months ago we had a "week of big snow" and I did something to my right arm when clearing snow off the car, repeatedly!  It hasn't really got better, every once in a while I do something and yelp with sudden pain.  And at night sometimes it kind of aches for a while.  I have, however, continued to taper, and this time I've pushed through the bad place in the middle where I usually turn back and  try again later.  I think it's steroid withdrawal and the discomfort is going away.  I never increased the steroid in response to an admittedly minor injury, which isn't getting worse.  My personal feeling is that pred needs to be treated with a great deal of respect and should increased only if you are completely certain it's the PMR.  As Eileen indicated, pausing any tapering is a good idea.

• Posted

Last spring I had continual pain in my feet. It started in my right and eventually it was in both feet. I increased my Prednizone from 5mg to 10mg. No relief. I visited my foot doctor as I'd had a foot surgery 6 mos previous. He gave me a steroid shot in my foot. It did nothing. My pain had been going on for 3 mos. I was desperate. My Rhumy saw me shortly after I saw my podiatrist. He was totally puzzled. So we both decided to increase my Prednizone to 20mg. We were at a loss.

Three weeks later I was pain free!

I've had to increase to 20mg twice now for my hip. So for me it was PMR.

• Posted

Karen: I really would wait until the physio has had a look - they may come up with an answer to what it is. You may need a bit more at some point but I wouldn't just increase without good reason and a single joint problems doesn't suggest PMR.

• Posted

Pam - Just because it responded to pred doesn't mean it was PMR. Any form of inflammation in the joint may respond well to pred at a higher dose. But if it worked - I don't think I would complain either!

• Posted

Karen,

I thought i'd update you on my shoulder mystery in case it will help you or someone else on this forum.  After x-rays and MRI, I am diagnosed with shoulder adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder) and partial ligament tears.  So the shoulder pain (and it is very painful) isn't PMR, but something new! Don't know which is worse, pmr or frozen shoulder--ugh!  Next step is to see an orthopedist and see what magic is available there!

Question for anybody-is frozen shoulder common with PMR?  Or is this just one more thing?  Cruel joke, but things could be worse.  At least it isn't cancer metatisis!!!

• Posted

Thanks Anne....went to ortho Dr. he said I have to go for PT for rotator cuff so i do not get a frozen shoulder.  Went yesterday and they told me it is not rotator cuff but that my arm shifted from my shoulder. They are doing deep massaging on my shoulder for 4 weeks. So hoping this works.  Good luck to you. 
    • Posted

It isn't unusual for PMR to be dx'd as frozen shoulder. Not sure if it is part and parcel of PMR though. Myofascial pain syndrome is more common in PMR patients.

Bowen therapy is said to have a very good reputation in frozen shoulder - I like Bpwen therapy and would definitely at least give it a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.