ARM

Posted , 9 users are following.

CAN YOU HAVE A FLARE UP IN ONE ARM BUT NOT THE OTHER.  Trying to figure this out, if its from my injury or PM. 

thanks

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That is exactly what happened to me lately, though it was a case of my doing repetitive strenuous work that aggravated the pmr-caused, low-level bursitis that already existed in both shoulders.

I aggravated my right shoulder bursitis condition by lawn-mowing in step terrain.

I have been forced to increase my pred dosage from just 2.5mg to 4-5mg/day, over the last several days. I could barely raise my arm or move it outward toward my right side, very painful.

Good news is that this "injury" to my inflamed bursae has improved over the last  several days, now back to almost "normal" while I am already starting to taper back down quickly toward 2mg or 2.5mg/day.

Seems that the added 2-3mg of prednisone did the trick toward recovery, took a few days though.

• Posted

In my case, i find if i have a flare up it is all or nothing.........It may be confined to 

the upper or lower body,,,BUT,,mostly all over,,,,,,never one side or the other.....

If i have a sore arm ..for instance...i know it is a problem of over working that arm..not my PMR...how ever if i up my pred it will help with the pain...giving me a

false impression that it may have been a PMR problem......But remember that 

having PMR does make your muscles more susceptable  to damage ,then more

pain,....  For me.....pred is not effective for nerve pain.....nerve pain can be in any area of the body, and in my opinion.has nothing to do with PMR.......

Having said that.......for me....i am wondering if i have a good dose of nerve

pain,possibly it may be  a trigger factor for my PMR to flare up somewhat.....

I am still thinking about that.................

• Posted

Maybe i should modify that post.......for me oral pred is no good for my

nerve pain ......the jury is still out on injections...........

• Posted

Certainly there are a people I know who have required hip replacements - and once their hip pain was dealt with, they were able to taper off pred relatively easily compared with previous tapering. It was as if the pain from the OA was enough to upset their immune system and the PMR.
  • Posted

Hi Karen-I am new to this forum and not definitively DX w pmr as of yet...I have tremendous pain in both hands among arms feet wrists ankles etc...is hand pain common with this disease?
    • Posted

I'm not sure you could say it is common - but the leeds rheumatology group have established that hand and foot involvement can be part of PMR.

• Posted

For me.....i get pain in the wrists and in the fingers.....not in the palms  of my hands

(does that make sense ???)    but is always associated with shoulder pain on 

both sides..........strangely enough.....not so much pain in my thumbs.......

• Posted

Within my first year with pmr, I had serious thumb-joint involvement, to the point where visible redness and swelling  required me to soak in hot water each morning, to reduce the stiffness.

That reappeared a few times within the first year and a half.

I also had a feeling of having bruised the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet, both came on after six months.  These reappeared roughly once a year but in a much less severe episode.

I actually bought new, wider shoes for the first go-round of such foot problems.

Upping the pred dosage seems to be the necessary aproach to these localized problems as well as the fatigue and everything else.

The most stubborn symptoms that persist to a degree after the pred has dealt with everything else are the upper-arm and shoulders  range-of-motion within which I can apply any force. That, and a spot under my shoulder blade that itches almost all the time. All this after 3-1/2 years with pmr and flexible dosage down below 5mg these days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.