Arthroscopic Capsular Release Surgery for Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 31 users are following.

Anyone out there had this surgery?  After suffering for a considerable time, missing the stage for injection I have surgery in a few days. I'm interested to hear others experiences post surgery, particularly around pain/mobility and return to work.

Thansk in advance, Mandy

0 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

yes i had it on my right shoulder and after a few weeks of physio it was as good as new , well almost
  • Posted

Thank you both for your responses, that's reassuring - as you know when we are literally stuck in this frozen stage, in pain and hardly sleeping, looking like wurzel gummidge most days you can't remember what it's like to be able to move properly -  it's great to hear positive experiences (and quick results by the sounds of it!) - thank you both!
  • Posted

Was your frozen shoulder due to an injury? How did you miss the stage for injections? I have had my frozen shoulder 9 weeks due to an injury and injections have not been offered yet and I do not fancy having an operation. I was told by the orthopeadic doctor that it will get better. It is showing no signs of it yet, in fact the last three days it seems  little worse and now the other shoulder is hurting. I see my doctor tommorrow so will ask for another referal. I have booked some private physio to go along with the n.h.s. physio, i am hoping this will help.

Good luck with the op. Let us know how you get on.

alison

• Posted

Hi Alison, no my shoulder wasn't due to injury, initially on visiting the GP in November after suffering for around 3 months gradually getting worse he had said not frozen as too much mobility and suggested physio as I had insurance. 7 weeks of that and no further forward, more stiffening and pain horrendous over Christmas and New Year (luckily I was off work on planned holidays), back to work in Jan and had to come home from work one day due to the pain, made an appt for GP following week. I'd also not been driving daily so I could rest it every second day. Hardly sleeping for months then had to call in to work sick, thought a few days rest may help, cancelled physio as would have been impossible, the second day of absence was my planned gp appt, who again knowing I had insurance referred me to private orthopaedic surgeon, prescribed pain killers - waited 3 weeks for a private appt and surgeon diagnosed frozen shoulder within 5 mins and not touching me, he then examined my movement and I had an xray to determine no arthritis and he said too far advanced for injections to work - two options, leave it to run it's course (not an option) or surgery.  Tomorrow, the day before surgery I will have been off work 8 weeks. I can't remember what 'normal' is now to be honest!  Interestingly on my first visit to physio she thought the pain and restricted mobility was due to bad posture, using mobile, tablet and lap top. Apparently physios are seeing more and more of these injuries and about session 5 she had said 'this may result in a frozen shoulder' .... it does make me wonder if that was the original cause...
  • Posted

Good luck, it's the build up and anxiety that's worse. You'll wake up in a sling with a numb arm, due to a nerve block. Mine lasted that evening. I was a day patient and had good family support afterwards...you'll need it too.

my op was last October and I had to have (mua) manipulation under anaesthetic in February because there was still some blockage in physio. Not as bad. Just stretching and manipulating woe you're asleep. I was paralysed before op 1, which probably hindered the success.

try hard to stick to your exercises and do as much as is bearable. Hot wheat bag on for 20 mins prior to physio and 20 mins ice pack afterwards.

it is a struggle and I thought I'd never get the uses of my arm again, but I'm on the mend and pain free! 

I have tiny scars one at the front, one at the back and one on the middle outer shoulder.

good luck and here's to pain free and sleep filled nights.

ali

• Posted

Thank you Ali, your advice is very much appreciated! Here's to continually healing for you. 
  • Posted

I had my capsular release on 1/14/2015 about eight weeks ago. I went to PT the day of surgery and everyday 4 days following my surgery. I took oxycodone 15mg Indocin and vistaril for about 5 days post op and then went to Motrin Vicodin and skelaxin. It was pretty painful but I did my exercises 3 times a day I am still in PT and will be for another month. I still have pain but it is manageable I would use warm moist heat and then exercise and then ice after exercising. The best place I found to stretch was the shower. Hope your surgery is successful good luck
    • Posted

Hi Janice, thanks for the advice and information. How are you finding the mobility after surgery? How soon were you able to drive after surgery?  Thanks in advance.
    • Posted

Hi I have good ROM I can lift my arm over my head and out to the side I can reach behind my back to my bra line. I am still sore and stiff but am just using Motrin before PT and icing after. I drove 2 weeks after surgery. I was a little shakey the first time out. I will be 8 weeks post op tomorrow. I lost a lot of strength in my arm and have started strength training with my surgeons approval Hopevthis helps

Janice

• Posted

Wonderful Janice, that's so helpful. It's great hearing others actual experiences as my surgeon actually said he'd had people return to work the next day but the more I read on experiences it didn't seem to be the norm, even the GP was hesitant. I'd far rather have a realistic idea about what to expect.  Interesting about driving, it must have been weird after all that time. Hope your recovering continues well and is fully successful. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi I had mua/arthroscopy and sub acromiun decompression with release of adheshions on 9th Feb this year. So almost 5 weeks ago - I am still in pain and movements are still very limited - still cant wash/tie hair up still cant drive so you get the picture? I have recieved x3 lots physio - the consultant says I may need another mua sad  My frozen shoulder started last July and I am at the end of my tether - nothing helps the pain - even Morphine sad  When I first visited my GP he did offer me cortisone injection which I refused not realising how bad it would get! If only he had taken the time to explain FS I would have jumped at it! My FS came out of the blue - I dont know what caused it sad  I tried a whole lot of alternative therapies all to no avail sad  This dreadful condition needs more research! I wish you luck with your operation - just beware you may need further manipulation! 
    • Posted

Go for the mua Linda. I've not looked back! It was still blocked and physio couldn't budge it. I now have minimal pain and great movement. Good luck. X
    • Posted

Hi Ali, yes I most certainly will smile I'm seeing consultant on 2nd April & thats when he said he'll decide what to do. My other shoulder has been painful the last couple of days so I will ask him what he thinks of that one!!

My operated on FS feels like its freezing again sad my shoulder blade feels like its being pushed out & I'm getting tight squeezing feeling at the top of my arm - so distressing cos I so want to get on with my life! Anyway I will let everyone know how the consultation goes......Thank you Ali for your valuble input & support smile xx

• Posted

Hi Mandy,

I had arthroscopic capsular release on left shoulder back in August and two weeks ago had manipulation under nerve block to try and stretch capsule more after the ACR not having been as successful as consultant (or I) had hoped. This is after having had hydrodylitation 3 months earlier and steroid injection before that. Not to be outdone- this is all after having recovered from FS on the right being sorted with 2 lots of hydrodylitation.still

Returning to work tomorrow more out of 'guilt' than feeling much better as I still have a lot of pain, particularly continued referred pain down ran and at wrists. This is all quite disappointing seeing how my right shoulder recovered relatively quickly.

I do hope, and expect, you will have better luck than I have had as immediately after the ACR back in August I did feel considerably better than before the operation.

With regards to the pain. GA and nerve block should mean a blissful 8 hours plus of no feeling in your arm but the time it takes to end can vary quite dramatically between patients and treatments. (My nerve block in August was in morning at around 8.30am and lastest through until 8pm. My block a fortnight ago was at 2pm and wore off at 8.30pm... 11.5 hours versu 6.5 hours). You'll most likely have oral morphine to take as block wears off (prob. 5mls every 4 hrs) and also paracetamol, codeine and ibruprofen to take to ease the pain.

Every circumstance will be different so listen to your consultant's advice. I am still on the morphine every so often (2 weeks afterwards!) when the paracetamol, codeine and brufen dose not suffice.

Plenty of physio ( provided NHS don't call you up the day before to say physio unwell - twice now in 2 weeks - argh!!) andif you are not up to doing all the exercises then certainly at least walking around (dog has never been out and about so much!) should help.

wish you well.

Andy

• Posted

How come you are offered physio every week or have I misunderstood. I have been only offered every three weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.