Arthroscopic Capsular Release Surgery for Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 31 users are following.

Anyone out there had this surgery?  After suffering for a considerable time, missing the stage for injection I have surgery in a few days. I'm interested to hear others experiences post surgery, particularly around pain/mobility and return to work.

Thansk in advance, Mandy

0 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Mandy, I am 5 weeks post surgery.  The first week was fairly miserable, but it was very important to keep up with the pain medication schedule.  Don't let them wear off under any circumstances.  This will allow you to be comfortable to sleep and let the physical therapist work on your shoulder.  I have three small slits in my shoulder and the swelling is almost gone.  I am still sleeping in the recliner as laying down in bed is still painful.  But during the day it's ok.  Only taking Advil during day times but I need strong Meds at night which is still pretty bad.  Your doctor will be the best one to tell you when you can return to work, based on what he actually does in your shoulder and the type of work you do.  Don't rush your recovery because if it fails you will be doing it again.  Let it heal. The best advice I got was to get / borrow some bigger shirts with to be able to get your arm in without pain and not need underwear.  Tank tops were impossible as was a simple tee shirt until I got to week 3. 

I still wear the sling when I am out in crowds even tho I don't need it because it keeps people from bumping into me which is still surprisingly painful.

good luck.  I am glad I did it, even though I may have to have more done soon.  

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I had MUA Debreadment (sp) and capsule release last Friday February 3, 2017.

If my shoulder moves the wrong way....HOLY BUCKETS OUCH OUCH BIG OUCH!!! I have PT 2 times a week. (2nd is tomorrow)

What type sling did you go home with? Were you given an ice machine?

When will I be able to MOVE my arm with tolerable pain?? Ugh miserable!

How are you now??

Thank you!

• Posted

Hello, You speek of 2 things- MUA Debreadment (sp) and capsule release do they do it at the same time, I have been offfered MUA but do not recall the other thing.  What is it?

Thanks!

• Posted

i had the surgery and although i was good as new in after about a month of physio , well almost as good as new , so good luck with it , i eas told if i didnt do the exercises i was given it probably wouldnt work , so if you are given them make sure you do even if its a bit uncomfortable
  • Posted

I just had this surgery six days ago I am in excruciating pain always what could be wrong
    • Posted

mia57561,

I had my surgery last Friday, February 3, 2017. I can sure relate to your pain!

OUCH!

• Posted

Hi! I am having this surgery in a week. I was just wondering how it went for you. My main problem is external rotation (along with the rest). My shoulder froze after being immobilized from rotator cuff surgery.
    • Posted

I had a hard time coming out of anesthesia, so I got no pain meds till they got me awake I was in so much pain they gave me two deloted and two percocets I don't remember coming home but I'm have the same problem I mean I can move my arm a lot better but the external is still not working and my shoulder blade still doesn't want to move so it's six more weeks of therapy then back to the Dr I pray yours works better I am a diabetic so it's harder for me to heal
    • Posted

Well... I'm not diabetic, so I hope that helps and I don't usually have any problem with anesthesia. So, I guess I have that on my side too. The external rotation has been a real pain and affects the other motions. I had the MUA done about 3 weeks ago but that only helped with moving my arm up. And not even that much. I can really force it with my other hand but my elbow is still turned inward and bent. I really hope they can break it free. I see my doctor tomorrow for my pre-op. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed! 👍😉
    • Posted

I really hope things get better for you. Good luck with the Therapy.
    • Posted

Good luck I went for my check up yesterday, still not going to be working but have to continue therapy three times a week for the next six weeks, really tired of hurting, Dr said it's a slow process for recovery
    • Posted

Hi, how do capsular release go for you? What was recovery like?  I have no external rotation six months after rotator cuff and proximal humerus surgery. I'm going in for arthroscopic release surgery soon. The dr can't say for sure what the prob is until he gets in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.