Arthroscopic Capsular Release Surgery for Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 31 users are following.

Anyone out there had this surgery?  After suffering for a considerable time, missing the stage for injection I have surgery in a few days. I'm interested to hear others experiences post surgery, particularly around pain/mobility and return to work.

Thansk in advance, Mandy

0 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Morning, I had the surgery yesterday. As with others woke up with a totally rubbery arm. Harry Potter sprang to mind. With help managed the full range of movement. This morning lots of pain, cant get anywhere near the range of movement. Popping some pills then try again. Back to work on Monday driving lorries. The consultant told me it would be fine. Good therapy. Hope hes right. I would say though to anyone wondering about whether to have surgery, go for it. I feel much more cheerful even though I have pain, its different, and the surgery is to kick start the healing process.
    • Posted

I had the surgery June 2 I do hv some use back but still weak and can't reach behind me I have therapy three times a wk I leave crying everyday, I'm still praying it will get better
    • Posted

Hi both I had manipulation under anaesthetic release of adhesions and some of the bone shaved off for my fs in feb this year - remained in pain with limited movements and had to have further manipulation under anaesthetic in april - was the best thing ever!! Don't get me wrong I needed physio every week - smoetimes twice and I still get aches in my shoulder but hay ho I can now wash and tie up my hair and I can drive again after 8 months of being totally reclusive and depressed! I still can'y do my bra up but my movements are so much improved smile My arm aches when it rains and I have to race through the freezer section when I do my shopping lol but I am sooooo much better! So hang on in there it does take time but you will all get there! smile xxx
    • Posted

Thanks Linda your story gives me hope, this all started in Oct due to a work related injury, now they are not sure if I will ever be able to do my job again I am a state tested nurse aid
    • Posted

Oh gosh! I've recently taken early retirement from work - I was a nursing sister in critical care! Small world eh? I don't see why you can't return to your job once you've had the surgery smile The surgeon told me it was probably my job which was related to my fs! But I didn't get any injury that I can remember which started my fs - said  wear and tear from lifting patients over the years!
    • Posted

I am an insulin dependant diabetic, he told me from the start this could be dabilitating due to my age and health, I hope not but even the ladies who are doing my therapy don't think I will be able to go back to full duty for a while
    • Posted

Yer I'm afraid being a diabetic makes fs difficult to treat sad  My friend who is also a diabetic has been refused surgery sad It does take a very long time to get rid of fs sad  I must admit I'm glad I don't have to go back to work - I don't have that stress or pressure.......... Let us all know how you get on smile sending gentle hugs.
    • Posted

I had surgery on June 22nd and feel the exact same way as you.  I go to therapy 3 days a week and do therapy at home on the other 4 days.  I still can not lift my arm above my head to wash my hair and forget about putting deoderant on.  Hoping and praying it gets better soon.  I head to the doctor on the 17th, interested in seeing what he has to say.  
    • Posted

Sounds like you both may need further manipulation - this sometimes happens I'm afraid...........good luck with your doctor app smile 
    • Posted

Went to Doctors today, was told that my shoulder is refreezing.  He put me on a 6 day steriod, have to go back in two weeks if not better he will give me an injection.  Last resort manipulation.  Not very happy right now.sad
  • Posted

Hello everyone!  I have learned so much from this discussion forum!! I just found out that I will be needing surgery for my frozen shoulder. I am not in as much pain as most of you thankfully but do have the pain and the trouble sleeping, range of motion problems, etc.  I have an interesting question for all of you. I am an online college professor and spend a large part of my day typing, so my question to you is following the surgery, how difficult do you think it will be for me to type?  Will I be in too much pain to type the next day or the next week?  What do you think???  Thank you so much for your response.  Leslie
    • Posted

Hi Lambchop2, sorry to hear you need surgery sad  My experience is that the day after will be difficult for you to type if they have administered a nerve block - your arm and shoulder will be dead untill it wears off which can take up to 12 or more hours! You should be able to type once its worn off but you may be in a bit of discomfort......... hope this helps! Good luck with your surgery smile

• Posted

I know you had your op a year ago but I had mine on Friday.  I'm stiffening up already and I'm really worried because although the numbness has gone, my thumb, index finger and middle finger are tingling constantly and I don't have the fine motor skills with them.  is this normal or am I worrying unduly?  If anyone can help please I would be so grateful.  The tingling is worse when I exercise and now I'm thinking perhaps I've over done it.

• Posted

Thanks for answering my question so quickly.  I can handle a 12 hour wait if I get a nerve block.  Fortunately I work at home so I won't have to get dressed to return to work or anything.  It also sounds like you had a reasonable recovery from the surgery in general which is encouraging.  That's good to hear.  I hope you are as good as new now!!  Leslie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.