Arthroscopic Surgery SIX weeks ago, Have been in EXCRUCIATING pain ever since!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had an MRI before my surgery that showed that I have a badly torn rotator cuff, inpingement, bone spurs, and arthritis. Surgeon didn't do any repair to the roator cuff, because he said he didn't see a tear. I have been in EXCRUCIATING pain ever since my nerve block wore off, and thats with pain meds, Ibuprofen, ice packs, and Gabapentin!! The radiologist confirmed last week that, yes, I absolutely DO have a suprastinus tear, greater than 50%. Saw my surgeon today, asked him for an MRI, so we can double check, and he said no. He said that the MRI would come up positive for a torn rotator cuff, even if I don't have one, because of the inflammation from my surgery. Does anyone know if this is true? I don't care who's right, or wrong, I just want to be diagnosed correctly, and to stop hurting. The surgeon told me that I have a frozen shoulder...which doesn't really make sense to me, because my surgery was only 6 weeks ago, and I have been doing my physical therapy, as directed. Also.....I read online (on several sites) that to properly diagnose a frozen shoulder, a MRI should be done..so why not do one anyway??? Any answers I will be grateful for. I'm about to go to the E.R. 😞I just don't know what to do...Thank you.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi SoooHurting;Β Β  you do sound in a mess (and no wonder).Β  I am in Australia, and any info that I give you, will come from experience here.....and if you can afford it, go to another Private Orthopaedic Surgeon, one that is reputable (and physios are usually good for recommending good orthopods, as they treat the patients from all orthos, and know the good ones)....a patient can demand to have the treatment he wants (especially if done privately).....a Rotor Cuff tear does need to be repaired, and then you should have at least a slingΒ on for about 6 weeks to stabilize the repair ( to ensure you don't use your arm in any exertive manner)....if you had your surgery publicly, at the same hospital where your ED is, they will most likely refer you back to him....can you try another ED in another hospital, for if you are having to have public treatment, it would be better to try another orthopod, to get that second opinion.....I'm really sorry that you are in this situation....we in this family had a similar situation, and luckily it was a compo accident, and the physio was good and referred my son-in-law to a very good orthopod, who then did the repeat op, repaired all the undone repairs, and is now our family orthopod....I hope that you can be lucky too....but yes, get a second opinion, and have the repair done, as you can't live with something that is sooo painful....does this make sense/helpful?Β Β Β  Bron
    • Posted

Yes, it absolutely does make sense....I did go to a private surgeon, one with a pretty good rep, but I guess everyone makes mistakes. I just feel like he is not willing to admit his, which SUCKS, because I am suffering so very bad. Yes, I do have good insurance...going to another Dr to get a second opinion is not the problem....problem. is that all the good surgeons are booked about a month out!!😞 I was SO hopeful today that he would not only order an MRI, but that the steroid shot would help...but here It is 8 hours later, and absolutely NO relief. Everything in me tells me that its definitely a tear and not a frozen shoulder. So frustrating. Thank you for your kind words. I plan on calling many surgeons in the morning in the hopes of getting in ASAP, if not, Im just gonna go to the hospital and pay the huge bill.....πŸ˜—
    • Posted

My Dr was private...how do I demand an MRI from him?? I wish you could have come to my appt with me today. Lol. He said no, because it would come up a false positive for a tear, because of my recent surgery. He said I have to wait 3 months. Does that even make sense? It doesn't to me.....
    • Posted

No...not really.....i can see re the swelling in the first couple of weeks post-op....but the degree of pain you sound as if you are in, isn't normal (what does the physio say??).....and yes, bone surgery soes take a while to mend....but if the sonographer said he/she could see a tear....I don't feel happy re all.....I think, as you said in beginning, and now say that you went privately....I would go to ED....and tell all, take all x-rays/MRI etc....and when asked "on the pain score of 10"...say 11+.....you should be holding your pain levels (especially with Gabapentin...which does work wonders on Nerve Pain/blockage of nerve signals)...by now....I say, now, go to ED, and HOPING that they are more understanding than your surgeon.....let me know how you get on.....Bron
    • Posted

another short reply....even though you have Private Cover....I bet you paid your taxes like the rest of us do.....so use the public system tonight to get some pain relief at least???Β  or are youΒ too tired/exhausted...how much Gabapentin are you taking (you can take upto 800mgms)...do you think that may get you through the night....but please don't hesitate to use the ED if you want some help tonight....Bron
    • Posted

I fell asleep last night. Only 300 mgs of Gabapentin, lol, a joke huh πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ , but I have valium for sleep because of My interstitial cystitis. Thank god for that. Oh, and the 300 mgs is PER DAY!!! It does NOTHING for me!!!!!!!
    • Posted

I fell asleep last night. Only 300 mgs of Gabapentin, lol, a joke huh πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ , but I have valium for sleep because of My interstitial cystitis. Thank god for that. Oh, and the 300 mgs is PER DAY!!! It does NOTHING for me!!!!!!!
    • Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

Morning SooooHurting; thank goodness you did get some sleep....and what do you plan to do re the pain today?Β Β  to your comment re Gabapentin doing nothing for you, is it worth taking it then?Β  I had many trial and error situations, until I found the drug/s that worked for me....everyone's body/constitution is different, and some drugs that work for some, don't help others....also some drugs are made for different probs...and Gabapentin is for (primarily), Epilepsy....but very good for Nerve Related pain....and as you feel that your problem isn't related to "pinched Nerves"...maybe that's something to tell your doc as proof that it isn't Nerve Related????Β Β Β Β Β Β  Bron
    • Posted

Hi, I didn't do anything for the pain today. I went to the radiologist, and surgeons office, and picked up chart notes. I have an appt with physical therapist tomorrow, and hopefully they are going to write a letter stating that I need an Arthogram. I think I am going to be able to get into the best surgeon in the state!! He just wants to see chart notes first. I have been in such bad pain, for SO long, whats a few more days? I dont know what else to do. Going to the ER, will only give me 4-5 hours of relief....πŸ˜™I don't know why Im still taking ANY of my medicine....none really helps....it may bring the pain from a 9 to an 8!! Ugh!!! Maybe I should just saw my arm off!! Lol. 😊
    • Posted

No don't do that....sounds like you've taken the exact course that you can....very good....let us know the outcome....Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.