As anyone just been on 5 mg?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was wondering has anyone just dated on 5 mg. And benefited from it?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

.my phychiatrist told me she has lots of patients on five and recover..so who knows..
    • Posted

That's hopeful! But like you said who knows. I would be so happy if that happends to me.

• Posted

It can happen I recovered on ten..I probably would of recovered on 5 because iam so sensitive to all Medications..
  • Posted

I started on 5 mg.  I did end up going up to 10mg but started to see benefits on 5mg.  I am pretty sensitive to meds though too. 

• Posted

How did you feel when you went up to 10mg? How long where you on 5mg before upping your dose?
    • Posted

I was on 5 for a couple weeks and then up to 10 now for 5 weeks. At firat when switched had side effects of increased anxiety and insomnia for a few nights but it only took about a week for them to subside. I have had good days and bad days but all in all better than when i started. Im not where i want to be yet but on my way. Stick with it, it does take a few weeks. The people here are all very supportive along the way.

• Posted

I take it before bed, so i can sleep through some of side effects. I have woke up with some effects but that works for me.

• Posted

Hi, I have suffered from crohns for 53 years and at the moment I am going through a bad patch that is affecting me both physically and mental.   Last time I felt something like this My GP put me on citalopram which helped me through this with out any side effects, so I decided to give them a try again. I started with 10mg but after a week on them I started feeling a lot worse, now whether this was due to the citalopram or my condition I am not sure but I stopped taking them.  Now I see in this discussion people including your self are talking about taking just 5mg. Now I did not know that they made A 5mg tablet or are you just cutting the 10mg in half
    • Posted

Hi decndor

Sorry to hear your having a bad time. I started citalopram 6 weeks ago and for the first few weeks I felt awful - way worse then I felt before. Surprisingly my GP told me to start on 20mg straight off I’m 5’2 and weigh 6 Stone 12 so 20mg is a heck of a dose to go straight into! In hindsight I probably should of started on a low dose and increased but I feel great now compared to how I felt back then. Maybe try 5mg and work your way up? It does make you feel worse before you feel better but I swear by citalopram it just needs time.

Wishing you all the best 

• Posted

Hello decndor yes I've been cutting my 10mg in half.

• Posted

Definitely Debra, everybody is different, I started off on 10’s , felt it was too strong a dose, cut down to 5’s, now back on 10’s & things are slowly getting back to ‘normality!

• Posted

When you went from 5mg to 10mg.how long where you on 5mg. And how bad where the side effects when you upped your dose?
    • Posted

Hi Debra, I upped my doses to coincide with my mood, if I felt little anxiety one day I would take a full tablet if I felt a bit ‘dodgy ‘ I would stick to half, so after a period of about three weeks I started taking a full tablet every day around 7 o’clock in the evening & it worked for me personally as I had ‘no’ side effects & best of all no dizziness!

• Posted

Hi Debra, I have been on 5mg for 4 weeks now.

Long story short, had basically cut to 2.5 mg and was stable for a whole year, then had a relapse.

Gp suggested increasing to 5mg, which I didn't think would work, but after 4 weeks am feeling significantly better.

I actually think that you will recover on any dose, eventually. It's just that with a lower dose, you don't get so much of a 'blanket' over the feelings of anx/dep, not at first anyway. The positive side of that is that I don't feel so 'blunted' either.

It takes a while for the dose to build up in your system. I'm still a bit conscious of a fluttery heart every now and again, but am not having bad panic or anxiety. Yesterday I felt really happy. Still feeling a bit wobbly on waking, but it's not unmanageable. Am still having some side effects from increase, hot flushing and sweats, but again, am not too troubled.

Had spoken to gp about increasing after 4 weeks, but when I saw him yesterday, I found myself saying I would rather stick here, with this dose.

I should say though that I'm also having therapy, daily meditating, and running/gym 3 times a week, eating well. There are other things I'm using as well as the meds, which are helping.

I don't necessarily think higher dose means faster recovery....you still have to wait it out whilst the meds work.

Hope that helps ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.