ASCENDING AORTA ANEURYSM.

Posted , 23 users are following.

I'M 62 YEARS OLD AND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH AN ASCENDING AORTA ANEURYSM OF 4.4 CM. HAD A CT ANGIO SCAM OF THE CROSS -SECTIONAL DIAMETER BEING 44X42 mm Nine months ago, now with anothe CT ANGIO Scam its 40.9 x 39.4 mm. Cardiologist told me it shrunk sum. Can this be possible ? I lost 28 pounds and my blood pressuer is 109/69 almost all the time. Can an Ascending Aneurysm Shrink ?

4 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, here the critical size is said to be 5.5cm - however mine went at 5.3.  Mine was an unusual situation - the only clue that I had something was wrong - before I got food poisoning - was my legs felt like lead weights.  I had intended to go docs about my legs but food poisoning intervened.   4.3 provided you limit any strenuous lifting or jumping - out of a truck cab and the like you should be good for a while yet - I was measured because I told them I was being monitored annually.  good luck 
  • Posted

Hi.

​I dissected back in 2003 and I remember on one visit that my Doctor said that the AAA had Shrunk a little.

​He did say it could have been a more exact image and they were able to get better dimensions but none the less he said the word shrunk.

​I'm now into year 12 as a survivor and my AAA is now at 5.9 which I know is on the high side but my consultant was happy to leave it alone for another year. it was previously 5.4 for at least six years and stable. I'll have my next scan in April 2016 and see how we go from there.

Regards

Dan

• Posted

It's nice to read your email.  I just had my CT can and mine is 5.1.  It grew .1 in a year.  I am scared to death of the surgery as it would leave me paralyzed.  Your story is reassuring.  thank you.

• Posted

Hi

My Father was diagnosed with AAA a few years ago he has been measured and scaned every 6 months. He started with 5.1cm on subsequent scans went up and down a few cm's. He was started on statin and made some minor dietary changes inc cutting down smoking and drinking. Gradually the aneurysm has been shrinking. To date it is 2.3cm, however...he has been told that this is due to the blood finding otherways to flow and due to the scaling of the artery. The surgeons are a little baffled by this and we are not sure if this is a good thing or not. Otherwise my father is quite healthy, gets tired on physical exersion but generally well for 72yrs. Not sure this will help you but if I find out any more info regarding the shrinking aneursym I will post back. Just seen the date on the post! May be helpful to someone haha.

• Posted

Jane,

How is your Dad doing now. I see it has been 12 months. I have an AAA also. 68 years old and discovered by accident. Last Nov mine was 5.1cm and did MRA last week and they say it is 4.9 now. I play tennis 3 times a week and have low blood pressure all my life. I have a BAV, which is how we discovered the AAA by a new DR hearing a murmur.  I had seen the same DR for 35 years and he had not documented the murmur or suggested that I do anything about it. I had a few words for him.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hi Ron

To date my father has been discharged from the Surgeons and now has no aneurysm.

He is well and now relieved no more worries. They still didnt give an explanation.

• Posted

Jane,

Good to hear. I find the whole thing with doctors somewhat by guess and by golly. Six months ago two surgeons told me that I should have my BAV replaced and the aorta repaired right away. One said I should wait. They all say that my aorta will not decrease, but in reality it MAY have. My cardiologist says it is most likely just a difference in measurement in the machine. Now I am on a 6 month test schedule to see if it changes. At least I am now with a dr that knows there is a potential problem, instead of one that is asleep at the switch. 

Since mine is a recent discovery, we have no history to call on to know a size it may have been 5 years ago.

• Posted

jane

i had an echo again in JANUARY Seems that the AAA is doing fine maybe shrunk slightly again but at a minimum it is stable.

Cardio guy has no idea but is happy . Did some research after watching the echo and seeing a calcification on one leaflet of the valve. Check out research being done in Europe on vitamin K2 mk7. It seems to be working to eliminate calcification. Dr agreed i should give it a try.

The reason it is important is that the valve may last longer but also if it opens better it puts less pressure on the AAA. Kind of like lowering blood pressure, but right at the valve

• Posted

I would guess that it would be easier for an overweight person to have thier Aorta shrink by losing weight than any other method.  Being heavy puts so much pressure on your vessels and when they are restricted that would make your heart work harder pumping more pressure through your aorta/bicuspid valves.

I think this disease is harder for some one in perfectly good shape, since the body is already adjusted to being healthy as opposed to shifting to better circulation.

Would be interesting to see what doctors in chatgroups would argue about these theories.

• Posted

Hi I agree, however my father has never been overweight the dietary changes were in the types of food he ate to help lower cholesterol. We are not sure what is going on but hope it is a good thing!
    • Posted

Maybe the alcohol, i doubt that there is any research or records of someone with aortic disease while on alcohol, since the heart industry has already confirmed that Alcohol Is Heart Disease. "Alcohol Consumption and Cardiac Fibrosis"

Though it would thin the blood, add stress to the heart and thin our vessel wall density, while adding fibrousis to our heart tissue.  

For me being a heavy drinker the doctors noticed my heart tissue was tougher than normal, but should not continue to to worsen as long as I'm not pouring down bottles of vodka or whisky as I had done in the past. '

Congrats to your father Jane!

• Posted

I was diagnosed with an Descending Aorta aneurysm in 2016, it was 4.5 cm in 2017, it was 3.5 cm when I went back in Jan. 2018 my Aorta is back to normal. I was shocked, however I have been praying to the Lord to heal it and he did. I followed all the Doctors orders when I found out I had it. So, yes it is possible for an Aorta Aneurysm to shrink. Eat health and exercise.
    • Posted

Hi anjeanette...........what did you do?  Did you change your diet, stop smoking, drinking??  I desparately want mine to shrink but don't know what to do.  i'm 71, weigh 124, 5'3".....don't smoke and try to eat healthy.  Please tell me what you did to shrink yours.  Thank you

• Posted

Praise the Lord

What were your prayers..what reigime did you follow.

I am so very happy for you.

I would be grateful for more information. I am 65

I weigh 80kgs 161cm in height...I am determined to lose 20kg..and walk. Prayer has been my everyday dialog. I would love to hear from you.

• Posted

My descending aorta anurysm is 3.8 with annual check ups..did you have check ups onky every 12 months ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.