Aspiration

Posted , 12 users are following.

Has anyone actually had their hydrocele aspirated ?

And if so what was their experience ?

Did the hydrocele return ?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello:  I have not had my hydrocele aspirated yet, but I was wondering the same thing.  My doctor said to me that it will return, but was uncertain about how long until it comes back.  I was also told that it could be weeks, and it could be months but the doctor felt confident it would return.  He makes it seem like a very easy procedure but I am still concerned about the effects of an aspiration.  I have always been up to date on the messages here and the people here who post information about their experiences have been very helpful, but not too much information about the aspiration.  I hope to see some replies as I am trying to get myself to do something.  My hydrocele is on the left side, about the size of an orange, and it's been about a year and a half.  Feel like I really need to do something, but I am very scared and nervous of any type of operation so I thought I might be able to get myself to do the aspiration and see if the results can be positive. The doctor also said that he has had patients that have the hydrocele aspirated on a somewhat regular basis, depending on their individual time of when it returns.  I hope you get some replies to your questions and I will be watching for any updates.  Regards, Jay.
    • Posted

I've got to go back to the doctor on the 20 th and I'm going to have a word with him about it. Not sure if he will know( local GP ) I might have to arrange a meeting with urologist at the hospital

The though of having the operation is terrifying me to the extent that I have now lost nearly a stone in weight in 3 weeks

• Posted

Hi again:  You should definitely see a urologist and have a professional diagnose and give you choices on what to do.  I was in this situation a year and a half ago and my good friend suggested to go right to a urologist instead of the GP.  That was good advise, so I would suggest finding one and having a conversation on how to proceed. I too was terrified of what might be happening and lost a lot of weight as well.  People would ask if I was sick or not well, but I just played it off like everything was fine.  My urologist stated that I had three options: to have the surgery, to have the aspiration, or to wait and follow up every three-four months.  I chose to wait and now it is a year and a half.  Everything is just about the same except I feel that the hydrocele is larger.  Wearing support briefs definable help a lot. I recall a day about a month ago when I did not wear them, and I noticed pain and discomfort the whole day.  I will not make that mistake again as wearing the support briefs certainly help to make things somewhat manageable.  I am at the point now that I am seriously considering having the aspiration, but before I do so, I want to get more information about the procedure and I also want to get a second opinion from another urologist just to see if they are both on the same page.  Having a hydrocele has been a very difficult experience.  It is a very personal matter and certainly hard to discuss with most people but this site has helped in many ways as you feel like you are not alone.  I would strongly suggest seeing a urologist as soon as you can.  It will give you a sense of what to do moving forward and to hear what your options are.  I was scared, nervous, and terrified the day of my appointment - but somewhat relieved when I heard what the doctor had to say.  I hope this helps in some way and keep me posted.  Regards, Jay.
  • Posted

I had it aspirated three times and each time it came back.  I then had an operation to prevent the fluid from being retained.  Much better now.
  • Posted

I asked about having mine aspirated while I was discussing my upcoming surgery.  My Hydrocele has 100 c.c.'s of fluid drained, so it was quite large.  I was told that they would aspirate it if I desired, but without having the cause of the the tear repaired, it would return.  I chose to have the Hydrocele repaired.  I did not want to go through this type of operation again in the future.  They gave me no guess on how long that it would take for a Hydrocele to again reform, but did assure me that it would definitely return in time.
  • Posted

The fluid returned very soon afterwords...maybe 3 weeks.
    • Posted

Is there any limit on the amount of aspirations you can have ?

Also is their any complications from having it drained

• Posted

I agree...see a Urologist.  If he suggests an operation it is a good idea.  Before that I had 100 ccs removed three times.  I he suggests an ultasound, it i also I good idea.
  • Posted

Nothing is for certain!!  But I am very happy having had the hydrocele repaired. 
    • Posted

Ive seen a urologist and he offered me the op. Never mentioned aspiration

Just don't fancy having anyone near my b***s with a knife

• Posted

Nobody's mentioned what the aspiration actually entails

I would have thought that the choice is ours

• Posted

Based on my experience, get it fixed.  Just tell people you are getting a nut tuck and they dont ask anymore questions.  We live in an area that would have about 40,000 people.  The nurses told me they do about two dozen operations like this a year.  So it is fairly common.  If the Urologist recommends the operation, I would say...go for it.  Get it over.  Just wear support for a month or so after.
  • Posted

I was told that Hydrocele removal is the recomended procedure in most healthy adult males. Infants sometimes have aspiration done, and adult males who are not healthy enough for surgery.  Otherwise Hydrcele removal is the best option to repair the tear, and in most cases, never have that problem return again.
  • Posted

When I asked my doctor that, who happens to be one of the leading doctors in UK, after I had the surgery with him, he told me this was just something people thought about in the past, but it returns real fast. I kept going asking in what time exactly it would usually return, he said "24 hours". I think it answers your question, but I admit I didn't witness that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.