Aspirin ???

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have a history of Afib but take no meds - do you think it advisable that I take an aspirin a day ? To me it seems like the benefits (for someone with Afib) far outway the risk ? Thanks

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't know if aspirin will make any difference. Do you still have episodes with afib? If so Maybe you should start with some proper meditation. Tambocor doesn't have much side effects. Check with your doctor.

• Posted

If you are diagnosed with AFIB - you are at risk for stroke

A blood thinner will save your life - I would run not walk to your doctor and demand it ! 

Best , Didi

• Posted

I have had 4 episodes of afib in just over 2 years and also have no regular meds, just a ' pill in the pocket' to use if another one occurs. I am happy with that! Was told that if attacks become more frequent then they will look at regular meds.

• Posted

Hi Steve. An afib colleague of mine does not take any thinners either, but i do. He is very fit, i am not . Your cardiologist should be advising you based on your risk levels. We are all different. Personally, if my risks (fitness, age, female) werent there, i would be med-free. I am currently having to have liver function monitoring because of rivaroxaban. Stroke is a risk to us all, but so are meds!!
  • Posted

I would certainly look into some type of blood thinner if you are suffering from AFIB.
  • Posted

I didn't take anything for AF for years except clopdodril - an aspirin alternative - makes me bleed.  I went for a more serious anticoagulant when the episodes did not self terminate after 15/30minutes. Really did not fancy a stroke! Do you? 

• Posted

Hi Steve.. That's such a tricky question.  It depends on so many other factors.  I take natural blood thinners (herbs, vitamins, aspirin) along with a diet to reduce weight and cholesterol, and I get a lot of moderate exercise.  But that's me.  I don't want to take the chemical blood thinners, so I'm trying this out... But if, let's say, you smoke or do not exercise, or eat a lot of meat and starchy foods, and are overweight, then aspirin might not do the trick.

• Posted

Aspirin is not a 'blood thinner' Warfarin and NOACs are.

You need to check your CHADs score to see if you are in the danger area 

C   Congestive heart failure (or Left ventricular systolic dysfunction) 1

H  Hypertension: blood pressure consistently above 140/90 mmHg (or treated hypertension on medication) 1

A2  Age =75 years  2

D  Diabetes Mellitus  1

S2  Prior Stroke or TIA or thromboembolism  2

V  Vascular disease (e.g. peripheral artery disease, myocardial infarction, aortic plaque)  1

A  Age 65–74 years 1

Sc  Sex category (i.e. female sex)  1

• Posted

Well said Derek. Am 8 months post ablation now and have almost stopped all my meds as things have been going well for me.

Iv'e lost the weight, exercise regularly, barley drink any alcohol and watch what I eat . My CHADS score is 1.

The need to take blood thinners has a number of variables associated with it and the CHADS score is an attempt to summarise these risk factors and 'spit out' a number that tells you wether you need a blood thinner (or not?)

• Posted

Yes.. thanks for reminding us.. This is a good place to start!!

• Posted

Question a little vague to answer.   You don't describe your Afib or whether you have been in hospital or not with episodes.    If you had been in hospital very suprised if you come out without meds ...........however if I had my time again when I was hospitalised and stablised with chemical bolus of amiodarone  after a year free of AF after Ablation Number 1 -  I wish I had persuaded the doctors for me to try  the 'pop a pill' that Katers mentions and I didn't go on the chemical concoction of bloods thinners, beta blockers, flecanide I am on which 2 years down the line I am a wreck.    After ablation Number 2 soon I hope to come off the drugs including the blood thinners because despite my weight the risks are otherwise low according to the consultant.     Your question is about asprin of which I have no experience but the gist of what I would I am trying to say is  - if you can self manage and reduce triggers that is the route I would take first with the power of hindsight. 

• Posted

I concur with that one.  Amiodarone bolus/drip to cardiovert me does the trick but having been on them as tablets - glad I asked to come off them. 
  • Posted

Dear Steve35uk

I to have A Fib it caused my stroke 4 years ago. Although I had been diagnosed two years prior to my stroke I was not prescribed any medication. When I had the stroke I was prescribed aspirin warfarin, statins and Bisoprolol. The aspirin and Bisoprolol was stopped when I left the hospital. Since then I just take the warfarin and statins. This medication is monitored by the antiquagulation clinic and the amount of warfarin changes from time to time. My advice is to check with your doctor. I think self medicating can be tricky even dangerous if you have A. Fib

• Posted

I totally agree about comments and why the question too vague about the history.   After my first ablation and  then 1 year later the first AF episode one consultant said he didn't think I needed to go back on the drugs  - then another put me on a cocktail. and all I wish is that I had tried to have a smaller mix in the cocktail and worked more of a plan with them.    The blood thinner being the first basic one and then.   I perhaps flecanide IF it was needed and then bisoprolol if needed.  Of course its only with experience that you learn these things.  I feel sure more was said to questioner than we have learnt. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.