Aspirin ???

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have a history of Afib but take no meds - do you think it advisable that I take an aspirin a day ? To me it seems like the benefits (for someone with Afib) far outway the risk ? Thanks

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Atrial Fib is very dangerous it it is causing you trouble and main is with symptoms. If you are symptomatic and pulse rate is more than 100 then no doubt consult doctor. Even if not you must must consult doctors. Because these are researched results that one should be cautious with AF. We are more about life of patient rather than economy or other points.

So, simple answer is you must be on something because no one in this world can gurantee that you would not have stroke.SO PLEASE TAKE DOCTOR'S ADVISE OR OF CARDIOLOGIST..

• Posted

The NICE guidance moved away from Asprin and recommended Warfarin or another blood thinner.  We are all wondering why you haven't been given any meds or was that your choice, Steve?

• Posted

Sorry for the vague question - it was just something that popped into my head as a general health benefit regardless of the af but I thought it might be of greater benefit to me considering my history of af, basically I had an ablation in August 2015 which seems to have gone well as there's been no recorded af since so my consultant took me off all meds and so far so good - I have no heart defects and my general health is good, I'm 37 and was told that the chance of having a stroke is almost as low as someone with no history of af.

• Posted

I cannot answer the asprin question because I have not experince of it and cannot take it anyway.     In view of the extra info you have given you are similar to me.     I came off all meds after my first ablation and  I was older, less healthy and unwell   I had a bit of rebound and had to go back on and then ween off ....but it was just a beta blocker I was taking after.       My AF did return after a year but at time I was unwell and had a lot of stress and then I went back on blood thinner/beta blocker/flecanide at that stage but I do wish now as I said before that approach had been more staged/planned/conservative.       There are side effects to blood thinners and the rest so if you are 37 and in general good health  I'm with your consultant on this one.       I know others will disagree with me re the blood thinner and I do have the benefit of knowing when I am in AF some don't so I can monitor myself very well and know when to act.   Not sure if you have any idea what factors triggered your previous AF but hope  you keep healthy and well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.