Aspirin

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone take only aspirins for their afib instead of a blood thinner ? I am really scared to start taking blood thinners . I'd rather just take a aspirin a day . Would it be safe to take just aspirin ?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I take just one 81 mg aspirin in the morning along with 75 mg of metoprolol. My AFib was only discovered this February when I was given a spinal for a total knee replacement and my heart rate went up to 220 bpm. I don't know if this helps you but I thought I'd try to allay your fears. 

• Posted

Was that your first afib attack? And have you had anymore attacks since ?
    • Posted

Yes, it was my first, and I never even felt it. They were monitoring my heart rate and found it. Even when they were bringing it down by IV bolus, I never felt it.
    • Posted

Did your doctor recommend you to take aspirin or a blood thinner ? I'm sorry for asking so many questions.

• Posted

No worries re the questions! My cardiologist recommended it. He's the expert and I follow his directions unless I don't feel well -- then I call him.

• Posted

It depends on your age and other factors whether you need a 'blood thinner' but aspirin does not do the job. They say that the stroke risk is not just from AF but the company (other risks you have) it keeps.

Aspirin will not prevent or dissolve a clot that forms..

• Posted

Hi . What are the other risk factors to consider ?
    • Posted

Thanks Derek. I'm seeing my cardiologist this week and will discuss this with him. 

• Posted

Hi.

Its your perogative to weigh up the pros and cons of blood thinners. I was on them and was bleeding from everwhere and with my dad dying of a cerebral haemmorhage and my low score as far of risks for a clot l decided to not take apixiban anymore and stay on fish oil only. Its a risk but a calculated one. You have to be comfortable and take responsibility for your decisions. Good luck.

• Posted

When you say your low score do you mean a chad score ?
    • Posted

Yes. My score is only 1. Medicine can treat a clot but not a bleed so l am reasonably comfortable with my decision at this time.
    • Posted

Seems to be two different types ,On a chad2 I scored a 1 on the /cha2ds2-vasc-score-i scored a 2.
    • Posted

cha2ds2-vasc-score is the updated version

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.