At last, getting there

Posted , 4 users are following.

Up to 9 weeks post TKR it was an awful journey. All the symptoms a lot on here have experienced, nausea, extreme fatigue, lack of sleep and constant pain. Plus others. I had lost 16 pounds in weight. My husband took me to GP who sent me for tests but in the meantime prescribed Pregabalin to block nerves to relieve pain and aid sleep. 

Within 36 hours I felt so much better, nausea reduced considerably and sleeping for much longer periods. Appetite returned and energy levels boosted. Put 3 pounds back on. Now at 10 and half weeks post TKR.

However made the mistake of doing too much this week so ice and elevation.  Just thought I’d share as I know a lot on this forum are as down as I was and maybe these type of meds will help. I know I’ve still got a long way to go but my outlook now is more positive. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Isnt it great you start to feel better so you start doing more normal things and then look what happens!! I know the feeling extremely well in fact I am dealing with it myself. Went on vacation for the last couple of weeks drove 11 hours yesterday unpacked my yard looked like a meadow so I cut the backyard. So end result very little sleep last night lots of knee pain and I am up early still in pain its great!! For me Tuesday is coming and I get to find out what the Dr. has to say YUCK.
    • Posted

It’s going to take a while before we can understand our limitations. Feeling better then overdoing it is a classic mistake. But I remember just having a shower meant not doing anything for hours so progress is being made albeit slowly. Good luck with the doctor 
  • Posted

So glad you're getting there Kim.

2 lessons to be learned....

1st if things are becoming unbearable, go to your GP! Don't put it off thinking you're making a fuss. You aren't!

2nd do too much & you suffer! We all do that one! Even coming up 19 months on 1st TKR I do that! And pay for it too!

Looking forward to complete normality, but life is good. No more arthritis pain, I can walk properly, although work to be done on balance!! 

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Steroids put on weight...period.  Get off them ASAP!!!  You will feel even better at 3 months...that's usually the end of the toughest time.  Hang in there...get your ROM back.  That's the most important part of weeks 1-12.  After that is the muscle rebuild for your quads, glutes and core to support the knee again.  Must do else all the pressure stays on the new joint causing more pain.  Gotta do the muscle work next.

For your fridge...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

• Posted

Hi Chico, Pregabalin isn’t a steroid. I’ve checked. I’ve only two weeks supply which is finished. 

I’ve been discharged by physiotherapist after three visits as she said I’ve got full extension and 125. So just doing normal walking now. 

Thanks for heads up and I will read through link 

• Posted

Sorry...brain fart.  That's the generic name for Lyrica...  Not a big fan of the nerve meds.  Gabapentin (Neurontin) put 20 pounds on me in a month; Lyrica started out the same but less weight.  In both cases, they did not relieve my nerve pain.  Weight gain is very common on those meds.

Nerve pain after a TKR is normal and passes pretty quickly for most people.  Permanent nerve pain would be caused by a surgeon hitting something he/she shouldn't have.  Not common...very few reports of this.  I would use AsperCream with 4% Lidocaine plus OTC Lidocaine patches to help with the nerve discomfort.  A simple $30 TENS unit from Walmart can help too. 

Just know that it's temporary so you should not need the Lyrica for long.  However, long-term, there will be nerve discomfort when you try to kneel on a hard surface (hardwood floor, cement, dirt, etc.).  I use a 4" foam pad indoors and padded tactical knee pads outside.  Don't be surprised if you have this situation occur for years to come.  Normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.