At the end of my rope

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. I have severe anxiety, panic disorder and depression. I am going through agoraphobia right niw and list ny jib because if it. I feel apathy and can not find joy in anything. I feel hopeless. What anti-depressant is recommended by any if you. I can not take Prozac as it interferes with a cardiac med. I feel I cannot talk to my boyfriend or family. They don't know how I feel and just tell me to get over it. sad

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you seen a psychiatrist. The list of meds is pretty huge. Just need to find what's right for you. Prozac does it for me. A friend has had great success with cymbalta. Use with caution though as it can cause side effects And bad withdrawal in some. Just start with a psych and see what works. Exercise can also offer major relief , if you can get yourself to do it. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Jason. Thanks for your reply. Just got off Prozac. It interferes with a cardiac med I am on. Brings my heart rate too low. Have heard so many horror stories about some anti depressants. Wish I didn't have to be on one. Stay well. I feel hopeless as if I will never get out of this black hole

• Posted

Hi....I'm going through the same thing...I'm here if you ever wanna. chat....Keri

• Posted

Hi Keri

Guess it would be mean to say I am glad to have met someone who is going through what I am huh. I feel I have no life. I feel like I am just taking up space. Like I have been possessed. So want to enjoy life again but feel hopeless and alone. So nice to meet you.

• Posted

Keri

Sorry I missed this comment. Sleeping is the only thing I have no problem with.

• Posted

Hi Celia

You are a lovely person and you can get through this. I've been going through a really tough time too and it's hard for me to say that because I honestly don't know if I believe it myself. But I have to keep telling myself it'll get better because I understand, hopelessness is one of the worst feelings in the world. Even the smallest amount of hope can bring you up from some of the darkest places. Even though it doesn't seem like it, it's possible to get through it. I've been there before, in such a dark place where I can't eat, sleep, or even get up to shower. I started Prozac and after around a year or so I felt much much better, not completely my old self, but an incredible difference from before. Lately, due to some stressful events I've gone back into that place and much of the time I feel as if I'm never going to get better. You're not alone in this, a lot of people understand how you feel and want to help you get better. Anxiety/ depression is a damn battle but it can be won I promise. There are so many treatments out there, from medication to therapy to diet/exercise and even more holistic natural remedies that help for some people. Everyone's different it's all about finding the right treatment for you. And please give each treatment a solid amount of time, a few months or so, before moving on to something else. I don't want you miss out on something that would've worked for you if you had just given it more time. And if you feel you can't talk to family or friends about it I would find a good therapist or you can even talk to me or many of the supportive people on this site. Please feel free to message me anytime if you need to talk. Just remeber that you're strong and can get through this! Take care!

• Posted

Thank you so much for the support Sarah! It's the agorapobia that's the worst! Feeling no joy in anything! So gappy I found this place. God bless!

• Posted

Celia, 

first of all, I'm sorry you are in this situation now. I know how it feels. Here there's people who can understand how you are doing at this moment. 

I'll be short, as the others who wrote before me have already given you good advice. 

First, doctors only (psychiatrists mainly, but talk to your GP first in any case) can recommend AD medication. Your GP can write a prescription, but the psychiatrist is the one who can choose the right medication for you. Here you will find personal experiences, but you have to keep in mind two important things

1) Different people may respond differently to different ADs, even if they have the same symptoms. Moreover, the same person may respond differently to the same AD at different points in time. I, for instance, was OK with Paxil (paroxetine) for years, but now I had to change it to another AD. Usually doctors will prescribe one common AD, see if that works and re-evaluate in a few weeks. In your case, the choice will also be influenced by your heart condition, but you need not worry: there is such a great variety of AD medication that some will be right for you. A good psychiatrist (and even a bad one, I think wink ) will be able to guess in a way that there is a very very large chance that the first medication you get is going to be the best for your case.

2) You are right about your bf and family: "they don't know how you feel". That's perfectly normal, as they never experienced these symptoms. As you know, it's hard to tell how these things feel even when you are feeling them. So you can guess how much harder it is for people who have never felt this way to understand what you are going through. The fact that they cannot understand your condition does not imply that they are not willing to help you.

Look at this from a different perspective: you are very lucky to have a boyfriend and a family who love you at this time of your life. Use their help and their love and don't focus on things like "get over it". They wouldn't tell you this if they could understand your symptoms. But since they can't, there is no reason to get angry or be disappointed by them. I am sure they are doing all they can. 

Celia, above all, do not forget your condition is common and treatable. Going through it is hard, but when medication works and recovery is on its way, you will feel just normal and possibly even better than before. I promise I am not saying this to give you momentary comfort. It's really true, I have been through this, as many others here.

Don't hesitate to write in case you need any help. We are here to give each other strength in times like the one you are going through. All the best!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words. They really do help! Going on an antidepressant is so horrible for me as it makes my anxiety and panic worse but I guess I have no choice. I have a chemical inbalance in my brain and my mom and grandmother had anxiety issues. The act of fearing fear is a terrible thing. I just lost my job because of agoraphobia because I could not leave my house. Did I already say that? LOL. Getting out of the house to work was good for me and I felt productive . It seems unfair that would happen to me because of what is going on in my head. Sometimes I feel it is better to have a physical condition because you know what is causing it and treating it is not by trial and error as with mental illness. Have a glorious day!
    • Posted

Have you been taking ADs for extensive periods in the past? I'm asking because in the long term they should get rid of anxiety/panic as well (while in the short term they can make them a little bit worse)!

I have no direct experience of agoraphobia, so I can only imagine how hard it is. It IS unfair that it's happening to you (to all of us) smile But life's unfair, we have to get used to that I'm afraid. 

Let us know how it works out for you! 

• Posted

I have been off and on antidepressants. I belive they help the symptoms of depression not the disease and am not fond of them. You have trouble getting on them and getting off. They are close to coming up with an antidepressant drug without horrific sude effects. I can only take Zoloft and Effexor because the others interefere with my cardiac med. Agoraphobia is the result of severe anxiety and panic attacks. You fear leaving the house in fear of having a panic attack in public. Fear of fear is a horrible thing. Quality of life is poor. It's all a catch 22. God help us all.

• Posted

Hang in there, Celia...I think it´s important to try and get your Family and boyfriend informed on your conditions. Maybe give them a book or an online sourse. It´s okay. Many People just don´t know. If they really care then they should inform themselves. If they do, then their attitude towards you will shift. You could write a letter to them, trying to explain how this feels like. At the end, if they don´t support you and try to understand you, then Maybe they aren´t that good of a boyfriend and Family, sorry to say that. The hard times Show us who is really there for us. You Need People who love and support you through your worst. Keep us updated. Wish you all the strenght and Courage.

• Posted

Hikiaru;

Thank you so much for your support. It means a lot to me. No my boyfriend or family do not understand or care to. Rhey tell me to snap out of it. I wish they could feel this way just one time even though I would not wish thus hell on my worst enemy but just so they would shut up! You don't have to be sorry for saying they are not a good family, it is true even though I know they love me. They are in denial I think and unaware how debilitating mental illness can be. I don't let my children know as they would worry too much. They don't live near me. Actually that us part if my problem "empty nest syndrome". I never got over them moving so far away. We are close and I only see them about 4 times per year. I only have one clise, true friend who lives 2 hours away. Otherwise I have no one to talk to about this. I so appreciate your kind words. I will try to be strong. TY smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.