At the moment the future looks grey

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with CS about 8 years ago in C5 & C6, this was probably down to an injury I sustained about 20 years ago.  To be honest the pain hasn't been too bad and I thought I was getting away with it compared to other sufferers.

About 18 months ago I started with a pain in my neck that is constant and I saw at least 3 GPs and they shrugged their shoulders and said, go for some physio and it'll go away.  Well I did and it didn't and eventually 2 weeks ago I screamed at another GP and he referred me for an MRI.

Got my results on Friday and C4 is now involved, I have a bulging disc and a straightening of the spine at the top.  I knew something wasn't right but as usual the GPs haven't got a clue and don't really care.  He told me there is no cure, which obviously I knew, but didn't suggest anything to help me.  The pain in the right hand side of my neck is, I suppose, referred pain from the CS, but the stiffness I get now is terrible, I can't tip my head back and when I lean forward I get terrible pain trying to straighten up again.  I am 47 and in theory could only be halfway through my life, the thought of living with this for the rest of my life is pretty depressing and presumably it will only get worse if it has over the last 8 years.

I also suffer from migraines which of course the CS makes them more frequent.  I just don't know where to turn next, the GP has more or less said go away and live the rest of your life the best way you can.

I have a very supportive husband who does help, but we both have own business so I work fulltime and there is no possibility of me giving work up, not that I'd want to.

Is there any light at the end of tunnel, does anyone find they have times of remission??

Thanks

I've tried physio but it makes it worse

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear about your pain I had the same bad luck with my doctor was first told it was a trapped nerve lol I paid out for treatment but nothing worked then I was sent for scan which showed I have this in 3 places was given amitriptyline to help with the pain I then had another scan and electric test on my hands which showed I had severe carpal tunnel in the left and right hand which both were operated on last year but although there has been some relief it has just shown the amount of pain my neck is causing. Like you my doctors are rubbish I was in absolute agony a few weeks ago and had had no sleep so went to doctors who gave me co codamol which didn't touch the pain I have just made an appt to see a doctor next Friday is the earliest appointment to ask for better pain killers or something for when I next have a bad attack. It's terrible that our do tors are letting people suffer with terrible pain when there is medicine out there that can really help
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply, sorry to hear you've had your problems aswell, it's so difficult to know which way to turn when the very people that are supposed to be there to help, won't.  I've been put on amitriptyline and propanolol, neither work so at the moment I'm not taking anything as I'm sick of pumping my body full of drugs that don't work.

Trouble is they won't give us the drugs that work because it costs money and on the surface we look fine, we don't look as though we are suffering, I have private medical care and it doesn't seem to be any different, I can't get anyone to help me.

Good luck at the docs, hope he gives you something stronger.

• Posted

YorkieLass,

I am in my second year with C/S and at times it drives me daft,at the moment I have pain up the back of my head on the right hand side and right hand side of my jaw.When I started with it,I had phisio and after eight weks I called a halt as like you it made it worse.

When I get busy doing something it seems to feel a bit better as my mind is occupied.Like yourself and Paulajo I find my GP. isn't all that interested and I had to practically demand to be sent for an xray at the start of my trouble.

One thing for sure we are not on our own with C/S,I sincerely hope you suffer less pain.

• Posted

Thanks Benggo, I was just saying to my husband how much better I feel when I'm at work, when I'm more mobile and pre-occupied.  Maybe I should increase my already long working week!! smile

Coming on here certainly does make you realise that you are not on your own, good luck to you too.

• Posted

YorkieLass,

I put a lot of my trouble with my neck,knees and shoulders down to heavy lifting at work,years of it.When Ian Duncan Smith,Tory ####### says "work is good for you"I could show him how work is not all good,thankfully I am retired.

• Posted

Unfortunately my problem wasn't work related, it was an incident between my hubby and I when we were a lot younger and could things we certainly can't do now.redfacerolleyes
    • Posted

Was just wondering ,does it feel like cramp in your head ,and then you an hear your blood pumping and then ringing in your ear.i get it on my left side.keep well .
    • Posted

Shauno44,

it is sharp pain in my jaw and a sharp pain up the back of my head,I sometimes wonder if it's punishment of some kind.

No feeling of cramp or ringing in the ears.

• Posted

Was suffering with neck and shoulder pain for years.back and for doctors,trapped nerve ,bad circulation,carpal tunnel ,rsi ,slept awkward ,pulled muscle etc.it wasn't until my whole left arm was pins and needles that I eas sent for Mri.lo and behold ,CS in c1 c2 c3 456 and 7 .yes it does look like there is nothing wrong with you but I have never felt so exhausted in my life ,.I a, 46 and always had manual jobs ,brick is labourer etc,.I am now on 30 mil codeine with para.A,itriline didn't work for me ,and I take 30 mil zopiclone sleeping tablet ,which doesent work really ,I still wake up every hour with pain and numb hands .i am currently on two months sick from work ,can't see ma going back somehow .
  • Posted

Ps.  Some days I'm ok and feel better,but other days can't move ,or don't want to move.it is hard to tell people you are in pain when there are no outward signs ,if it was a broken leg it would be different .keep well ,u not on ur own
    • Posted

Blimey Shauno, you really are going through a rough time, I'm sorry to hear about it. Makes my problems seem like nothing. I do hope you eventually get some relief. Thank you for taking the time to comment.
    • Posted

I suppose when you have lived with it so long you get used to it .the pain I can handle ,it's the constant headaches ,pins and needles ,dizziness ,clumsiness etc that gets me .I have never lost my balance so much in my life .even walking from the living room to the kitchen ,whoops ,I'm gone ,good job the walls are there lol!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.