Atorvastatin and Amlodipine - any side effects/problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

MY GP recently prescribed Atorvastatin to deal with high(ish) cholesterol. I have been taking Amlodipine, Losartan and Bezafibrates without any problems but in the past 3 weeks since starting the statins I feel like crap - Nausea, muscle pains, kidney pains and total lack of energy.

The blurb with the statinsindicated there could be problems with Amlodipine but I started taking them.

I'd like to know if anyone has had similar experiences

Ta

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I suggest you visit your GP to discuss this!

Statins can cause problems with the muscles and if you are taking a fibrate then there is an increased risk of this problem happening. The information leaflet with your medicine should tell you to promptly report any muscle pain or unexplained tiredness. Your GP and pharmacist should have also explained this when you first started the medicine.

If you can't get an appointment (or telephone consulatation) with your GP soon then I strongly suggest you speak to your regular community pharmacist.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

Hello,

do you take both Bezafibrates and Atorvastatin?

Both of them act on a different levels and affect different fractions of cholesterol. but usually patients are prescribed one of them.

Muscle pain is a side effect to cholesterol decreasing medicine. it is advisable not to drink orange juice around the time of taking your daily dose. Tiredness is the other side effect.

I would suggest you to contact your doctor as soon as possible to help you solve your problem. more over if your side effects are permanent or are getting severe.

• Posted

Would agree with the points on here. Orange juice however is not a problem with statins. Large amounts of grapefruit however should be avoided as it can lead to increased levels of statins, increasing the likelihood of side effects. It's not usual to use both a fibrate and a statin and it is reserved for certain patient groups e.g diabetics or those with high cholesterol or very high triglycerides. The bit about amlodipine with statins is to do with using lower doses in patients who are also taking amlodipine.

Tarun (hospital pharmacist)

• Posted

Hi

I have elevated triglycerides and take bezafibrate for this but my cholesterol has risen and that is why my GP prescribed the atorvastatin

I forgot to renew my bezafibrate prescription before going on holiday and did not take any for a week and feel better for it

My GP said that there should be no interaction and could not explain why I was feeling so bad.

He said that if symptoms persist then he may recommend I come off one of the tablets but it could be trial and error

• Posted

Dear Tarun,

Pfiser have a Caduet / Amlodipine/Atorvastatin/ pill. it is a fact that both can be successfully combined.

I think from all researches I've done that orange juice is not suitable to take as I said around the time at least with the pill time. as a pharmacist you probably studied that they use one and the same route in the liver P450.

and Logically, if you have two cholesterol pills and ayrovastatine is a powerful one, plus orange juice possibilities of side effects, which are already developed, is increasing.

let stick to the good all Latin proverb though " first do not do harm on others"

thanks

Iain57

it is important for your health to have a balanced diet and to reconsider and have your pills sorted out to have better quality of life and to decrease deterioration which high blood pressure and cholesterol can do to your body.

its you call. cos the body is yours.

if I can help more , I am here

luck!

• Posted

Amlodipine and atorvastatin are fine - the point I was referring to was the use of simvastatin and amlodipine.

Yes as a qualified pharmacist I am aware of liver metabolism of medicines and grapefruit juice is the main problem. Orange juice has not been clinically proven to affect simvastatin or atorvastatin.

• Posted

thanks folks

my other complication is that I have Type 2 diabetes and I think the whole cocktail is knocking me out of sorts

As i said I forgot to renew my prescription for my bezafibrates and have not taken for a week and the muscle pains and nausea have lessened

I even managed to go out tonight for a 2km run ( last year at this time I was running 10-12 miles a week but that went out the window when I started the combination of statin/bezafibrate)

• Posted

Hi Tarun,

he is taking Atorvasmile plus statin as far as I read.

you are right about grapefruit and some of orange type may have the same effects as well. Seville Oranges are one of them which the Harvard Medical School Family Health Guide suggests to be avoidedsmile

HI iain57,

yes, the diabetes is the main point to control. because it is why your metabolism is changed and your cholesterol is tend to increase more because of that.

hope you have no kidney pain as well.

take care!

and keep me posted

Vanya,MD

• Posted

I am experiencing some kidney pain - it is intermittent but not too bad
  • Posted

I take Simvastatin 40 mg and my Kidneys ache a lot, also Salt is a no-no otherwise they ache a lot more for days neutral (This can't be right) I'm going to be having words with my Doctor about it smile Dunno when, might talk to the pharmacist today cheesygrin
  • Posted

Also the muscles in my left upper arm are dodgy rolleyes
  • Posted

Hi Ian,

did you have some blood tests or echo for your kidneys?

its good to have .

• Posted

Hi Ian,

did you have some blood tests or echo for your kidneys?

its good to have .

• Posted

hello House,

nice to meet you.

if your question is whether the kidney pain is from the simvastatin. it depends how long you take simvastatin. and when the kidney pain started.

• Posted

I've been taking them since last August. To be fair the Kidney aches probably predate the statins, but the muscle ache in my arm and the apparent Salt sensitivity doesn't smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.