Atorvastatin and Amlodipine - any side effects/problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

MY GP recently prescribed Atorvastatin to deal with high(ish) cholesterol. I have been taking Amlodipine, Losartan and Bezafibrates without any problems but in the past 3 weeks since starting the statins I feel like crap - Nausea, muscle pains, kidney pains and total lack of energy.

The blurb with the statinsindicated there could be problems with Amlodipine but I started taking them.

I'd like to know if anyone has had similar experiences

Ta

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi again,

usually the weakness of muscles as a side effect from statins is general and affect all muscles but not one part of the body. did you overload your arm doing a particular job repetedly.

• Posted

Good point with the "... affect all muscles ...", no I haven't strained it or whatnot so that must mean... No worries I know what that is now cheesygrin I'm still going to see my Doctor about the Kidney area aching though. Thanks smile
  • Posted

hi House,

glad you know. that means half problem solvedsmile

luck

• Posted

hi House,

glad you know. that means half problem solvedsmile

luck

• Posted

Anyone getting forced my their local practice to substitute Atorvistatin for Simvastatin like I am? Would like to know if they are as effective as one another or is this just a cost issue?
  • Posted

my father has just had a stroke caused by the statins...this is one of the most dangerous drugs on the market that in time will be banned...Merck produced a statin drug plus coq10 but dropped it full knowing that statins deprive the brain of that enzyme...GPs should know this too but most are only interested in the profit motive..they are not doctors but drug pushers in my opinion...
  • Posted

Dai

As good as each other in all honesty - are you using it as a preventative or have you already suffered from heart disease ? Atorvastatin is now available as a "generic" medicine, which means that the branded version (Lipitor) produced by the original manufacturer has had its patent expired (patents on medicines can last for longer than 10 years or so). This means that any other company can make atorvastatin and predictably the cost to the NHS comes down massively. I could understand trying to switch from Lipitor to generic simvastatin as the cost savings would be great, but as generic atorvastatin is much cheaper I can't see much of a difference with generic simvastatin to be honest.

• Posted

Lipitor been taking it for 15 year 80mg a day in the last 3 year I have lost one kidney I and a 72year man

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.