Atorvastin

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi folks, wondering what, if any, side effects I will need to watch out for.  I'm so unhappy about statins fullstop!

Many thanks.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ann I have been on the same meds for about 8 months, 10 mg a day taken in the evening at 10 with plenty of water and I can honestly say I am having no side effects, I did a lot of diet changing and exercise for 3 years to try and lower it naturally without success, so I started with simvastatin and after about 2 months and leg aches to drive me crazy I swopped, my partner was the same and swapped to atorvastatin as well.

Is your cholesterol really high and do you have other factors.

• Posted

Whilst atorvastin doesn't seem to present with quite so many side effects, and not all people suffer them either, they can still be quite severe.  Mine were unbearable muscle pain and weakness, cognitive problems including memory loss, stomach issues and hair loss.  The muscle problems were the worst and several years later after stopping statins I still have permanent damage.  One thing everybody needs to be aware of is to have your liver enzyme levels tested regularly and frequently, statins can cause serious liver issues and regular tests will spot it before it does any damage.

• Posted

Just curious to know why you were persuaded to take statins? What was your cholesterol level and your qrisk?
    • Posted

Hi Jane I know you haven't put your question to me but my cholesterol was 8.2 and I had tried alternative ways, I have 2 autoimmune disease's that increase cardiac risk, I have regular liver test and I exercise as much as anyone can on crutches but I believe that levels that high were unacceptable for me.

Are your levels high, do you have high risk factors, on here the majority of people will be anti statins, and each to there own but you do have to make your own decision, its your health no one else's.

• Posted

I only asked because with hypertension, plus my age [75] the Qrisk is 16% which automatically puts me on the radar of the statin police.  I am a sceptic I admit and I did refuse them, I have arthritis of the knee and wish to continue living a full active life as long as possible and was worried statins might give me side effects that I didn't want.  Arthritis compromised my mother and grandmother's lives enormously and I will do anything to avoid that. 

Last time it was measured the cholesterol level was 6.6 and the ratio was 2.4. and the GP was happy with that but she had to offer a statin as the QRisk was over 10%. The NHS rules! 

I do feel they are hiding something when they drop the risk from 20% to 10%  overnight,  I don't believe in medicalising the entire nation. They are in denial over the side effects issue and unless they come clean I won't take them.

• Posted

Hi Jane as I said before the choice is thankfully yours, if you decide that you don't want to take them then we are all behind you and no one on here would try to coerce you in any way for or against and reading your reply I can only presume you have already made your decision and it seems that your GP is actually with you on that, my Dr was the same, he said it was up to me and after 3 years I decided to go with a low dose, my sister has been on them for years and also has no problems on them, I will also point out that the statistics on here will not portray the real figure's as only a small minority of statin users actually use the forum.

• Posted

Unfortunately, we the patients/public are never quite aware of the hidden agendas behind prescribing practice.  The more cynical would quite understandably suspect that reducing firstly the level at which statins should be considered and secondly what the 'ideal' cholesterol level should be are more down to how much influence the pharmaceutical industry have on N.I.C.E than actual good medical practice.  Statins are useful to many people but most definitely not for everyone.  Blanket prescribing is not best practice and in some cases not even safe.  There is a plethora of reputable research online about statins and when it is in the patient's best interest to take them or not.  I encountered a stone wall when I had all my physical issues and it wasn't until I was so ill I had to call an ambulance.  The attending registrar in A&E was the one who told me it was likely to be statin reaction that was causing the problems, my GP refused to accept it even after that. 

• Posted

My feelings entirely Loxie. With Alexandria's other issues it is a different matter but I feel it is wrong to medicalise the entire nation because they have a risk of over 10%. Another way of looking at that is to say you have  a 90% chance of not having a heart attack. Some drs apparently take the line of 'One size fits all' and actually it doesn't.  I did my research into cholesterol levels even before I was offered statins,  actually the dr said she was bound to offer it [I guess their hands are tied!] so I asked given my health would she take one. No she said. She did however say that if you have had any heart issues or mini strokes then they are life savers.

• Posted

That's a very relevant point Jane - for women especially, statins can be a lifesaver AFTER a stroke or heart episode but almost all of the research available is quite specific that they are not recommended prior to, or just in case.  For men it's more effective as a preventative measure but even then only in acute cases.  poisoning the entire nation without real investigation into individual circumstances is not only bizarre but immoral.  I reiterate, statins can be a life saver but absolutely only if absolutely necessary.

• Posted

I didn't have the muscle pain but within a few days was in a bad way, my brain stopped working, memory went, nausea, breathlessness, unable to speak properly and then my whole body started shaking and wouldn't stop, it was really terrifying. The ambulance men had no idea what was wrong, nor did the A&E, and after about four hours the shaking stopped. It happened again a few days later but by this time my sister had done some research and decided it was the statins. I got an emergency appointment with the GP who told me to come  off the Atoravastatin but tried to get me to take an alternative. I refused and would never take another statin. I have two friends who are on them and who have had no effects whatsoever so it seems like the luck of the draw.

• Posted

Hi Anne - as a survivor of statins, I feel the need to alarm you. I was on Artorvastatin @ 80mg for two years, resulting in: Weight gain, excema, hair loss, memory loss, phantom itches, swollen irritated liver, onset of type two diabetes, vitamin D deficiency, fainting spells, aching joints, shin pain. Two years after throwing them away, i still have traces of issues though they are much reduced. For the 50 years prior I had absolutely none of these problems, was slim, fit, healthy. The docs totally ignored snowballing, serious issues and tried to scare me into continuing the torture while trying to prescribe more drugs to mask what was happening. 
    • Posted

Hi Wayne I can see where you are coming from and I would imagine anyone on a mega dose, and 80 mg is a mega dose, in fact its actually the highest dose you can go on, your cholesterol was either extremely high or you were and still are suffering from familial hypercholesterolaemia, this is one of the main reason's for the maximum dose to be prescribed, the majority of people now on statins are on the low dose 10mg, I'm not saying that all those on the low dose do not get a negative effect I'm just saying that in general the majority of people on the maximum dose do have an issue with side efflike and I don't find that surprising.

I'm not advocating statins that's not up to me to decide for others, I'm just saying that non of us can try by our own situations to influence another person.

Its like someone who has been unlucky and had a reaction to BP pills in general saying that if there bad for them they will be bad for everyone when we all know that's not true, but we do know that all medication carries a risk, I had a friend many years ago who took 2 cocodamol and died, very very sad but until that day she had never used them only paracetamol.

I also would like to be med free but I would also like to have a bit lower cholesterol.

I can say that I have not put any extra weight on since taking them, but I have still kept to my normal 13/1400 calories a day.

• Posted

Hi I have to take 80mg of Artorvastatin due to Peripheral Arterial Disease.  I felt unsteady on legs for first few days but soon cleared.  I also take Q10 herbal tablets to stop the muscle wasting.  Hope this helps

• Posted

Its good Pearly to here someone who is on a high dose who is actually OK on it, it is sad when due to health issues we have to take meds but I'm glad you are coping with them, the q10 sounds like a plan I will check them out.

• Posted

Hi I had trouble to start with like shaky legs in morning but seems fine now.  Been on them for 18 months 80mg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.