ATR during a tennis game 5 days ago - nonsurgery treatment method

Posted , 6 users are following.

I thought my shoe had broken when I heard the pop and I was mad cause I had just bought new tennis shoes especially for achilles problems - on the other ankle. I ended up tearing the achilles on the good leg - can't believe it - plus it's my right leg = no driving.

I've been reading blogs but I'm looking for any helpful hints or suggestions of any kind on how to deal with this. Got an IWalk2 today so I'm hoping that will make my (and my husband's!) life somewhat easier. I'm also quite fit and want to continue with some form of work out after week 1 is done with. Any suggestions there? Thanks.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What does your orthopaedic doctor advise? Mine said absolutely no exercise which involves using my injured foot. I had surgery to repair Achilles at about day 10 after injury. I'm in a cast for six weeks...non weight bearing. After that will be non weight bearing in a moon boot with wedges...remove wedges weekly and slowly put more weight on foot. Achilles' tendons can take up to a year to heal. You won't be doing any exercise that involves standing for some time! I can't believe you just heard a pop! What about the excruciating pain? OMG! It was horrendous! Mine happened at work (I'm a nurse) and was taken to emergency dept straight away. I was shaking, HR elevated, BP low...only IM fentanyl helped with the pain!

• Posted

Hi my orthopedist doc says no surgery - "they

haven't done surgery in 2 years on ATRs". I live in Canada and I looked it up and it seems to be the direction our medical system believes in. Really hope it works for me! I'm in a cast for 2 weeks, then if all looks as it should I'll be getting the boot cast with the different wedges every 2 weeks. Don't know for sure how long I'll be in those moon boots! 

Thats awful you had so much pain. ThAt must have been horrible. Are you feeling any pain now? By the end of the day I seem to be . Hope that's normal? I guess I was lucky at the time of the injury or maybe in shock lol! My body did display trauma symptoms at the hospital though.

For exercising I was referring to other parts of the body! Definitely no weight bearing on injured leg! I'm fairly fit so I would like to keep any muscles I have and also for mental health/feeling more positive about this situation. Have you checked out the blogs and videos by an Agnes from Washington? She does a thorough job of detailing each week of the injury. Also I just bought an IWalk2 - highly recommend this!!! It really gives you back some independent and mobility!

• Posted

I am 11 months into recovery and I decided not to play tennis this year because that is how I originally tore my achilles.  I miss it so much, but I don't think this injury heals until at least a year.  Don't push it.

• Posted

Hi, I'm slowly beginning to understand the enormity of his injury. Tennis seems to be one of the main sports this type of injury occurs. I so love the game too, but will be totally afraid to play - if and when I do return to the courts. I think you are right about waiting over a year at least to start. The question is: how does one prevent this injury from reoccurring? I was stretching tons before and after, warming up, doing all the right things but ....

I am going to start some weights and exercises that do not involve the injured leg at all. For my mind as much as my body!

Let me know how it goes with you when you decide to hit the ball around again! Wish you much luck and 

• Posted

Hi Sharlene,

Not quite sure why they went non surgery. I ruptured my Achilles 8 weeks ago, also playing tennis .Had surgery, but I am walking with a limp now, and expect to get back on the court in another 2 months.

As an active person the recovery after surgery is much better, and faster.

• Posted

Typo without a limp. I am starting calf building exercises, no swelling and no pain.

• Posted

Hi Neil

It is still a bit of concern to me that surgery was not presented as an option  but it seems to be the Canadian way (presume you live elsewhere) and lots of "recent" research shows there is in fact no benefit to surgery regarding reoccurrence etc. Just really hope this non surgery plans works for me! You sound like you are progressing very quickly - sounds awesome! Take great care when you get back on the courts - I'm jealous 😉 !

• Posted

Will be happy just to get on the court and serve for an hour.  Hopefully 2 months time. I am in South Africa, so its mid-Winter. But I should be A1 for the start of the SUmmer.

I am not sure re the non surgical approach.

Recovery  def takes longer and the rerupture rate is higher.

ALso you land up lengthening your achilles.

But it is what it is, so good luck with the recovery

• Posted

Hi Sharlene, I am in BC Canada and was advised no surgery as well. I believe it is the trend. I was walking backwards and forgot there were steps behind me, so down I went, only stepping on the first step with injured foot and then flew a bit and landed on my body. I heard a pop/crack in my head and new instantly it was my left foot. I also did not feel any pain, but when I managed to sit up and check out all limbs, found that there was nothing there when i pushed with my foot. There may have been pain when I tried, but I don't recall any real pain. More of an instant knowledge that foot was injureed. I was lucky that I was placed in a walking boot with wedges within 2 days and so became quite mobile with that. No need for the Iwalk2 - although I really could have used it for the first two days when I was bed or wheelchair bound. I am now at week 15 post injury. I can walk now without a limp. No running. And still not able to stand on toes on injured foot. I saw a physiotherapist on day 2 when I was placed in the air cast. She prescribed several leg strengthening exercises, including injured foot - altho it was quite safe in its cast. First exercises out of cast started in week 2, removing cast to wiggle toes and some ROM exercises, passively, using my hands to move the foot, rather than the muscles themselves. By week3-4 was doing more active ROM exercises. Week 8 the boot came off and the strengthening exercises began. There is a fine balance between exercising enough to make progress and too much that will cause continued pain and discomfort.  At first I did too much. And now I fear I am not doing enough. Still have stiffness everyday that I work through by the end of the day, but then I have heel pain at end of day that is gone by morning. But I will find my rhythm eventually. The strength between my foot and my upper calf muscle is the toughest thing for me. Still very little strength there. So not yet able to stand on toes and weight bare on injured foot yet.

• Posted

Hey Sandy

These Achilles accidents/injuries are bizarre - I even drove myself home! Was your rupture partial or complete? Sounds like you are really progressing quickly! Another week and I should be getting the 'moon boot' which I hope will be a more positive move forward. There is definitely a fine line between too much and too little re exercises and dealing with the resulting pain and progress. I think it's going to be a long haul before most ATR people are pain free.check out this great blog and videos that a woman in her 30s from Washington shared. She chose the non surgery method despite it being pro surgery there for the reasons my doc said. She does a week by week thing and includes her physio etc as well. Agnesatr blog

• Posted

Hi Sharlene

Mine was a partial rupture 60-70% they said. But as there were still a few strands attached at the back, no surgery.

I will check out the blog. Thanks.

• Posted

Hey sharlene I completely rupture mine playing basketball. I heard something pop as I was dribbling the ball. I thought someone kicked me. I didn't have any pain but I couldn't walk after the pop. I had an immediate indentation in the achillies area. I was taking straight to the hospital where I was told I had s complete rupture. 3 days later I had surgery. I was told I'm active, less chance of rerupture, positive results my achillies is repair correctly. I'm at week 3 post op I just got my staples out and cast off today. I have a boot now and am full weight bearing.

• Posted

Hey Ty I hear basketball, Tennis and running are the 3 main sports where ATR occurs - sucks! Do you live in Canada - I'm still wondering about the latest non surgery method being utilized in Canada that is said to produce the same low reoccurrence and healing time as with surgery. 

I'm just finished week 1 and get the moon boot next week - hopefully a step in the right direction! For me the worst part is it's the right leg so no driving. Plus no more tennis and all the fun activities of Summer. I hate being stuck at home! Hope your recovery continues to proceed nicely!

• Posted

On August 9 it will be one year since I ruptured my Achilles' tendon. I want to go back on the tennis court, but since that is how it happened, I am not playing this summer. I can't have this happen again. I'm a pe teacher and I was out for 6 months after the injury. Also I want to ski this winter. I bike, walk and do yoga. I'm not pushing it.

• Posted

I think we don't pay enough attention to the mental recovery after an ATR. Especially when the injury occurs as a result of regular sports activity.  With mine being just a stupid (on my part) accident, I don't think the mental recovery is as scary. I of course plan to never walk backwards off the steps again. I still actually get a buzzing in my ears everytime I approach my porch steps. It stops me in my tracks. So, I am working on that. My exercise before was walks and golf and occasional swimming. I plan to now add yoga and maybe biking. And daily stretching!!

• Posted

Hey Sandy, I agree about the mental recovery - I'm so far away from that stage, yet I know when (and if) I'm "ok" to play tennis again, I'm constantly going to wonder if the next hit will blow my Achilles again. Even with everyday activities I'm sure hesitation and some fear will be experienced by  all of us Achilles Injurees! Yoga and biking sound like great additions to your activities! Good luck with your ventures and keep away from backward stair walking!

• Posted

Hey sharlene I live in USA. Yes, I was told if you was active and want to continue to be active Dr. Will recommend the surgery. If you was over weight non active and rupture it in a non athletic manor they go with no surgery. Yes I'm a teacher and I hurt myself on the last day of school. My entire summer has been alter ruin. I am week 3 and 2 days. I am now walking on my foot with boot and I crutch. No swelling or pain

I do try to stretch it everytime I take off the boot and do little exercises.

• Posted

Hey Sandy I agree the mental aspect is such a challenge. I will never play bball again I'll be 40 in 8 days. My 40 birthday I will be walking in a boot hoping to not be using crutches. This is not worth I'm too old. I will do aerobics and officiating. I'm good.

• Posted

Just be careful not to do too much. From everything I have researched and experienced, the fastest path to normal is by taking it slow. Rest and elevation (and icing for swelling) is so necessary for healing properly.
    • Posted

Your right Sandy everyone say that. Trust your body. Where are you I your recovery?
    • Posted

I am 15 weeks post injury. Non-surgical route. I had a partial 60-70% rupture.

I can walk without limp, although I am constantly aware of my foot and where it is placed and how. I can go upstairs without issue. Downstairs, I can do it, but I don't have sufficient flexibility yet to do it without hanging on to the railing and treading heavily, heel first with injured foot. I can balance on injured leg for 30+ seconds. I can touch knee to wall with toe approx. 3" from wall. On good foot I can do so from 8" approx.  I cannot yet raise up on to toes with bad foot.

I am 63 yrs and previous to injury was quite active, but not into sports.  I walked, golfed and swam on occasion when near a pool. Golfing is still out as too much uneven ground and twisting when swinging. But I plan to get back to that. Walking = I can walk 1000 paces in approx 10 minutes. Then heel and hips start to be really painful and I stop. I try to walk 2-3 times a day. In pool I can raise up on toes on bad foot, just a little bit.  I found that with walking in my air cast (wore it for 8 weeks) with crutches at first, then without - this caused me to limp quite a bit, which put strain on my right hip. I have only now found that there is a lift that you can easily attach to your shoe on your good foot, that alleviates a lot of limping and future hip issues. Too late now, since I am now out of cast and do not plan to have this injury again.

When I check my recovery against others, I think I am on track.  Good luck and I do hope that you find you are not too old for your previous activities. Time will tell.

• Posted

Yes some tough choices ahead of people with ATR injuries. Not sure if I will play tennis next Summer or wait longer, or never. Can't imagine excluding it from my life since I love it so much, but I also am very active in other sports and I don't' want to ruin another 6 months of my life. If there was some way to be assured or prevent it from happening again .....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.