Atrial Fibrilation = Glucosamine

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am an extremely fit and healthy 60 year old and was diagnosed with af four months ago. Have taken Glucosamin/Chondroitin supplement for the last 5 or so years but have just found out that this can cause an irregular heartbeat.  Stopped taking all herbal supplements on the advice of my doctor when I was diagnosed but as I have been slowly improving, decided to re-introduce them one at a time.   All was fine until I started taking the Glucosamine just over a week ago - suddenly the af started to become more frequent and I feel I have gone backwards four months.  I wonder if anyone out there has also taken this supplement and had the same issues - any feedback would be very welcome.

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I've just read a report on that product that states

In general, glucosamine and chondroitin are thought to be safe. However, as with any medication, there are potential risks. In this latest trial, people taking the glucosamine-chondroitin combination reported diarrhea and abdominal pain more often than those taking the placebo did. Other reported side effects include

heartburn

drowsiness

headaches

allergic reactions (especially if you have an allergy to shellfish).

Also stated has little benefit and may just be a mind set.

Hope this helps in some way

• Posted

Hi, I've just read a report on that product that states

In general, glucosamine and chondroitin are thought to be safe. However, as with any medication, there are potential risks. In this latest trial, people taking the glucosamine-chondroitin combination reported diarrhea and abdominal pain more often than those taking the placebo did. Other reported side effects include

heartburn

drowsiness

headaches

allergic reactions (especially if you have an allergy to shellfish).

Also stated has little benefit and may just be a mind set.

Hope this helps in some way

• Posted

I'd like to read that report please. Will you tell me where I may find it?

• Posted

Thank you for the link.

My situation that arose in 1995 was disabling pain in my synovial joints after excessive skiiing through bumps and off piste powder. It was so bad that I could not get up from a squat and not get down to one. My skiing and windsurfing buddies who had had similar problems recommended Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulphate tablets that should help rebuild the damage in about 3 months. Sure enough the tablets worked and I've been taking them ever since but stopped skiing for many years, preferring to concentrate on windsurfing. I've not noticed any side effects of the tablets but had the onset of Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation, PAF, in 2007. That may be just a coincidence because I had preexisting conditions diagnosed in 2002 of borderline Left ventricular hypertrophy, borderline first degree heart block, occasional ectopic beats and Mitral valve insufficiency. These may be due to many years of long distance running. My PAF was treated successfully by a cryoablation procedure in 2017 and I have been back skiing for the last three years.

• Posted

I have had palpitations on and off for a number of years and was investigated for possible heart failure last year, as I also had episodes of A F. The cause turned out to be too much vitamn D3. Palpitations stopped when I stopped taking that, until recently. I ended up in the CCU at my local hospital. last month! All tests were normal.. I just had my breakfast today and as I write I am getting an arrhythmia, ectopic beats and some fluttering. I take 1500 mgms of Glucosamine daily, ( shellfish) and have done so for around 30 years. It never occurred to me that this might be the culprit. I shall reduce my daily dosage and see what happens. I also take a number of other supplements. will report on my findings later.

• Posted

Hi there I just read your post and I'm so glad I did because I'm currently experiencing arrhythmia. having arrhythmia it's freaking me out and yes I take glucosamine so I'm going to stop it right away. I have an appointment with a cardiologist next week and I've had heart tests and blood tests but this is the best news I've heard so far. thanks for posting

• Edited

I started taking Glucosamin/Chondroitin last year to support hip/joint pain and to explore if it might help. Im 70 years young, active walker/hiker and feel 50-something- Healthy - no major concerns- after 2 months I had severe heart palpations (2-weeks) to the point I stopped taking it. the palpitations went away and just to be on the safe-side I too went to see my dr. i was put on a heart monitor for 24 hours. Dr. said I was okay and to be sure and let her know if/when this occurs again. I have not used this supplement since and any/all palpitations are gone! Never again.

• Posted

That is very interesting.

I started taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement in 1995 after wearing out some of the synovial fluid in my knee joints through extreme skiing and became unable to squat and get back up.

My AFib started in 2008 and after increasing doses of Flecainide became ineffective in reducing the duration and frequency of my AFib episodes I elected to have a Cryo PVA in 2018.

That was very successful and my heart stayed in Sinus rhythm most of the time.

However if I pushed too hard in skiing, cycling or windsurfing my heart went into AFib for several hours the next day.

Over the last 2 years my heart has been in permanent Atrial Flutter and I have had to back off pushing hard with my sporting enjoyment.

On Friday 18th inst aged 80 I had both an Atrial Fibrillation and Atrial Flutter ablation and am now back in Sinus rhythm.

I still have Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement in my medicine cabinet and thank you for your post here.

I will stop taking such because I do not do extreme skiing now.

• Edited

I took glucosamine/chondroitin for my knee pain. On the second day my heart was in an acute state of tachycardia. I immediately stopped taking this supplement and 24 hours later my heart was back to normal. It really scared me and I will never take this supplement again.

• Posted

Well, this thread is of great interest...I'm 64 & following mild Omicron Covid last year I have developed AF, I have no previous history of heart issues, have bang on BP, not overweight & not diabetic but having seen a Cardio for 24 hour monitoring, ultra-sound etc have been diagnosed with post-Covid AF. Since being diagnosed (the Cardio has not put me on any medication) I have given up alcohol & caffeine which has largely eradicated AF occurrences, however, I started taking Lamberts Glucosamine/Chondroitin for a knee problem & with a bang the AF returned so I stopped taking them, however, keen to see if it was a red herring I tried it again this week & hey presto...AF swiftly returned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.