Avodart

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone used Avodart, and if so, For how long, did you experience any side effects and was it effective in reducing your prostate?

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Several years ago, when the first symptoms became apparent, I tried flomax, hated the side effects (felt chemically compromised, creepy) and tried the avodart combination for a couple months.  Hated the side effects enough to swear off those meds forever, but I'm glad somebody showed some benefit from them, I sure didn't.  My problems were only beginning, and now several years after that, I'm one week past a urolift.  The urolift allowed a better stream immediately, and after 2 days there was very little remaining minor discomfort.  Ibuprofen handled the low grade pain effectively, I was able to avoid most of the need for opiate post-op.  Hope your situation improves, and I'll do an update on my progress after the one-month post-op evalution in 3 weeks or so.  So far, the urolift is working well for me, but still in the recovery period.
    • Posted

Hey McGillvn, So glad they are coming up with new and better solutions than TURP and Prostatectomy. I wish you the best of success with your Urolift
  • Posted

Took it for a few months. It's a combination drug combining tamsulosin and dutasteride. It caused breathing problems which was a mightmare. I thought it was the tamsulosin element and took dutasteride alone but still had the problem.

I'm now taking nothing and waiting and researching to find the right procedure for me and hoping for the best!

• Posted

I've been on Avodart for 5 years ( plus Fomax ). During that time my prostate has grown from 150 to 280 gms. It did keep my psa steady though at 10. It wiped out my libido. I got bad floaters in my eyes and lost the hair under my arms. Avodart is a strong enzyme inhibitor. The enzyme is also used by hormones elsewhere in the body like the skin and eyes and brain. I also became very sensitive to the sun. But as others have said, it has somehow kept me peeing and away from surgery till now so that is something. Hope that helps. I wish everyone good luck.
  • Posted

Ok, so tomorrow I start my journey towards the destination of the HIFU procedure. The journey begins with a high dose of Avodart to reduce my prostate down from 99cc to around 40ish. I'm to take 3 tablets 3 times per day. I will give updates on how this affects me. I must say I'm a little concerned. Hopefully the side effects don't bother me too much and it is supposed to only be for 3 months. Then the HIFU procedure.
    • Posted

Wow, That is 9 times normal recommended dose?  Please keep us posted on side effects and results.  Like most on these sites, I spend a lot of time researching my personal medical issues and I had never heard of a super dose that could reduce prostate by almost 60% in 3 months.  If it works, I wonder if you could shrink with these mega doses, then back off to the normal 1 pill a day dose to maintain the size?
    • Posted

Yes, I know. Dr. Suarez has assured me he does this all the time to reduce the prostate. I do trust him as he has been treating men with the HIFU procedure for some 12+ years now. But as I said a little earlier, I am concerned... after all, I'm the one taking all the Avodart tablets. (I hope they at least taste good) lol.
    • Posted

Update:

So I started on the high dose of Avodart Monday afternoon. In comparison, I have taken a fifteen day dosage in one and a half days. So, here's the weird part...when I woke up and got out of bed, I wasn't as sore as I usually am. I have NO explanation as nothing else has changed in my life. It very likely could be coincidental but it's the least sore (best I have felt) in over a year. And the improvement was very noticeable from the very moment I got up. (It wasn't like, oh, I'm not as sore today. It was, Wow! I feel pretty good). I was not expecting that type of result and if it only lasts a day, I will just count it as coincidental or placebo effect but as I was not having any expectation of such an effect, I honestly don't think it's a placebo effect. If it is due to the Avodart, then I will actually be a little concerned about what is the Avodart attacking that has been making me so sore all the time and it there something else I need to be worried about.

As far as the plumbing goes, I have not experienced any improvement in urinating. (But to be fair, I did not/do not have any expectations for it to make any improvements yet.) I think I noticed a slight decrease in firmness on my morning erection when I woke up this morning. (Wow, I never thought I would be talking about this type of stuff in public).

If anyone has any thoughts about my feeling almost pain free, please let me know. I might call the doctor or pharmacist to see what they think.

• Posted

Men never talk about things like this before with other men.  It was all ways in the back.  Now men are more open with what is going on with there bodys.  Which we should e.  We are not alone ad what better way to fine out anthing is from another man.  Just take the Avodart like your doctor said but be careful  You may be oe to better things.  Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

Thanks Ken for you comments and encouragement to me and the others here. It's nice to have you on this forum.

I did call the pharmacist and she said there was no known reason the Avodart would have any effect on reducing pain. That was my thought also and why I was so surprised at feeling good when I rolled out of bed. But I don't have any other explanation. Absolutely nothing else has changed in my daily routine. Well, I am very curious as to how I will feel in the morning. Best wishes to everyone.

• Posted

Like I said Take the meds like your doctor said and be careful.  Watch any changes.  You will most likely have good days and bad. I wish you the best so you can get on with our life.  God Bless  Ken
  • Posted

Update 2:

So today is Sunday and I have taken Avodart (3 tablets three times a day) for almost a week. That's the equivalent of 54 days. The changes I have notice at this point are:

1. I am emptying more of my bladder when I urinate. I have not measured the amount so nothing scientific, I am just going for a much longer amount of time before I stop.

2. It seems that am urinating less often. I guess I could time the durations between going the bathroom but I was not expecting to see improvement so quickly.

3. The stream seems better (stronger) overall. However, I just went to the bathroom and it was only about half as good as the strongest that has been recently and also the total amount was about the amount before starting on Avodart. So, overall, I feel there is measurable urinary improvement but not 100% consistent.

4. I am continent (but pretty much always have been).

5. The Little General still gets firm enough for intercourse but couldn't pound nails with him.

6. My pain (which I talked about in my first update) is still about 90% gone. I have no explanation (nor does the pharmacist) as to how or why this has occurred. All I know is my back and hips are almost pain free. I feel about 10 years younger regarding the freedom of body movement.

Unless there is a significant change (good or bad) I will only post the next update next Sunday.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

• Posted

ES,

Wow, I wonder if they have ever tried these high doses for only BPH?  One of the things I have noticed on these various forums is how quickly some of the sizes change and wondering if it could be the various methods of measuring.  I have only been measured using ultra sound and the size over the years has been pretty consistant.  

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the article that was pasted in full here as it may breach other website's copyright. Please do not paste whole articles in posts. You can add a link to it and this will be approved as long as it complies with rules for posting links. If it doesn't then links can be exchanged via the Private Message service

• Posted

Glad things are going well Just be carefull with that pill.  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

It makes me feel better about moving forward with the HIFU procedure.

• Posted

Thanks Ken. I'm not sure taking 9 times the normal dose is being careful. But I am watching for any negative side effects. ??

• Posted

Thats what I was talking about just watch yourself  Good luck  Ken
    • Posted

Hello ES

just a little update on George's HIFU which he had done on Monday afternoon 27th June...all went well even though he spent the night in hospital as he had rather a lot of pain with catheter in the willi region??burning sensation....so a good shot of morphine and Anesthetic gel down the never regions , this seemed to settle the pain...urine flow was nice and clear some discomfort up the pack passage this was to be expected under the circumstances as this is all done through the pack passage??...now back at home yesterday afternoon 28th June with catheter strapped to calf..not to bad even though he was dredding this, but much to my surprise he is managing well,,,,though this morning 29th June had quite a lot of blood in bag, but all is well and now urine flow is lovely and clear and showering was no problem with bag .. So back to hospital next Monday 4th July for catheter to be taken out providing urine flow is normal!... Shall have follow up apt with Consultant Uroligist soon...prob a bit different here in the UK as we are not private.. But George in good spirits thank god... So ES your HIFU will not be long just keep taking those tablets..

i will keep you guys updated on Georges progress

Regards to all Carolyn

• Posted

Carolyn Glad to hear he is doing well.  He can take a shower without the bag you just have to clean both end before you put it back together.  Take care and tell him to relax..Ken
    • Posted

Many thanks Ken

all is well and chilled ....watching Wimbledon 😊

Regards Carolyn

• Posted

Good morning Carolyn.  Just checking on George How is he doing..Have a nice Sunday  Ken
    • Posted

Many thanks Ken 

George doing ok post op..just some blood in pee with bits of debri apparently all quite normal..have been reading abt after affects in the info what we were given apparently you can expect this up to 2 months after procedure.. But have phoned our nurse this morning for more conformation .

Shall let you know what she says.

Regards Carolyn

Ps. We had a great day Sunday weather very hot  in Uk at moment ..hope it's lasts..

• Posted

I am very happy for you and him.  I live in Orlando  It been in the high 90's here.  Have fun and tell George not to worry.  Having a good a women to stand by him is the best medicine Ken 

• Posted

Many thanks ken..

Our nurse phoned back and told George to up his fluid intake as she told George that he was probably dehiydrated...as our weather has got very hot since Sunday..also George had been drinking quite a lot of wine ...soooo blood in pee was worse!!! more concentrated . so since Monday I think he's been drinking about 3 litres of water a day, just to flush the bladder/prostate out ...also as its hot without realising you perspire a lot more even at night time(we hear in  un don't  have air con ) so we have to  put up with the heat... However he has just told me blood in pee has improved..meaning it starts red  and finishes  yellow/  

Clearish so an improvement ..all part of the healing process..

Also made worse as George is on blood thinners(Antigoagulant ).

Shall update as the time goes by..

Regards Carolyn.

• Posted

That's good.  Tell him to knock off the wine for now and drink water and juice.  Cranberry juice is great for the bladder.  I know about blood thinners.  After my heart cath was on 400 mg of blood thinner a day.  Off one of them now but have to go back on in a few month's because of A-Fib  I have a 80 % chance of a stroke. Have a lot of bruises I don't have to evn hit myself.  I wake up with them in the morning.  So I try not to get stressed but we do what we have to. Tell him to relax and enjoy life.  Keep in touch  Ken    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.