Awaiting gallbladder removal surgery anxious nervous and pain unbearable

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, for about 18 months I have been suffering with severe heartburn and upper abdominal pains. On the 7th of January I was admitted into hospital having been finally diagnosed with cholecystitis. (Inflammation and infection of the gallbladder caused by gallstones) after a few days in hospital I was sent home with a bag full of meds. I was given tramadol tablets but had a pre assessment for my op, which is on the 28th Feb, only a few weeks away, and was told to stop taking them as I am apparently allergic to them. Anyway, finally got the drs to prescribe some different pain killers after weeks of practically begging them for some and they have given me dehydrocodiene. I have been awake for the last 2 nights with the most horrendous pain. I'm finding the new pain killers also aren't working very well. I have been advised to go back to hospital if it got so bad and uncontrollable but with the crises we have at present with hospitals I don't fancy it one bit. I'm sorry I know this message a little long winded but the pain is now seeming to fall into my right arm which I can only describe as like an elastic band round it stopping circulation. Kind of like a dull achy pain, and also pain in my back where the right kidney is. I am more looking to find out if anyone else has ever experienced this with gallbladder issues and what medication worked best? I know that the only thing that's will help is surgery but in the mean time I'm finding it hard to cope. I was also diagnosed with gastro esophagus reflux disease so problems all in one which is now extremely uncomfortable. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Sonia x

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sonia

Sorry you are going through it.

Go to A&E when you can't take the pain, at A&E they know the people that are in need to get seen quickly by the amount of pain you are in and they will normally give you morphine and buscopan by IV as its the fastest way to bring the episodes to an end.

Also they prescribed Oramorph for home use BUT only when it is going to escalate to the higher levels of pain, this they did to try and help keep us from having to go to A&E, they understand how bad the pain is and over the counter medication doesn't get close to helping sadly.

Dont suffer at home A&E will help you.

also try free from foods and totally dairy free, less fat as all of that will spike it more, and you should be on anti acid medications for the reflux, my daughter is the same as you and that helps also.

gallbladder issues and the acid reflux are vile but please don't let yourself suffer when others can help you.

regards

• Posted

Hi carol. Thank you for your message. I am indeed suffering at the moment. I haven't eaten anything for the last 2 days, literally just drinking water. That's how bad the pain has been. My gp is aware of what's going on and i phoned yesterday for some different pain killers. The receptionist said I'd need to book a routine appointment for that I was so upset and crying over the phone. 5 minutes later I had a call back saying the dr has done me a prescription. I have been taking the dehydrocodiene regularly since. I cut out all fatty foods and dairy products literally months ago before I knew what the problem was. When I was taken into hospital beginning of January I was waiting for 7 hours before I was even given pain relief. They did say to me anymore problems until my procedure that I can't cope with to go back. But, I was literally taken from my bed along with 3 others to a treatment recovery centre in the hospital, and we were left on trolleys over night with no heating and lights on all night. I don't want this to happen again hence why I'm trying my best to try all other avenues before using that as my last resort. They couldn't operate because the inflammation and infection was too bad and that needed settling 1st. I've also been really lucky to have my appointment for the end of this month too as the wait is up to 5 months. I'm a little worried more of the pains in my arm and pains around the kidney area which I believe is all related but I can't be sure. I'm really sorry I'm dragging out the message, I speak to the drs and I feel like I'm not heard it's just so frustrating. Until you've had the problem it's so hard explaining to someone who hasn't had it what it's really like 😢 Hence my finding this discussion thread.

• Posted

My daughter felt the same as you no one believed her how bad it was / is but once you are diagnosed A&E should get you through quick as it only escalates without their fast help.

She is normally screaming and vomiting so I guess she is at max by the time they see her & im not shy in telling them what she needs and why , I'm not watching people suffer when they don't need to .

• Posted

It's such a relief to find someone who can understand how I feel. I appreciate your comments. IF THE pain killers aren't helping by tomorrow then I will go back to the hospital. It's difficult because I work as well it's not always easy getting the time. Thank you 😊

• Posted

Hi Sonia, unfortunately most of these painkillers don't seem to work very well. you maybe better off with co-codamol which is codeine and paracetamol rather than a deriviative of codeine which dihydracodeine is. It doesn't take the pain way but I find it does take the edge off of it unless its really bad then as carol said you probably need to go to a&e to get something stronger if the pain is unbearable.I know you haven't had a great experience with a&e but it is the only place to get stronger medication. 

Its not long now until your surgery, mine's the day after on the 1st March. I tend to eat  little but often as I can't afford to loose anymore weight, its really difficult I know, I feel sick if I eat too much which is nothing compared to what I use to eat.

Keep writing on here as we all have different experiences to share, which I have found invaluable.

Take care and I hope your'll feel less pain soon.

• Posted

Hi, Sonia,

So sorry you're suffering like this!  Everyone has given you great responses!  But I also wanted to let you know that if you are persistent you should get some help!  

My heart goes out to you, no one in pain should have to go through what you have gone through!  

Pleas hang in there and let all of us know how you get on!  I'm wishing only the best for you!  xx

• Posted

Hi Katherine. I have tried so many different pain killers. It's the being unconfortable and restless and not being able to sleep that's getting me down. I've had enough. Our ops are so close together I wish you all the luck in the world. I've resorted to not eating at all for the last 2 days as it's now constant the pain.

• Posted

Hi Lynda. Thank you for your kind words. Irs hard to know whether the other pains are related or not. My experience at the hospital was horrendous hence why I feel I should literally be dying before I go down there. Unfortunately this pain is constant and I find the pain killers are literally just a waste of time. I will keep all posted but I may have no choice but to visit a&e. I really don't want to but may have no choice. Thank you all for your help and support. It's so nice to finally have people understand how I feel xx

• Posted

Please do whatever you need to take care of yourself!  Is there another A & E you might go to?

• Posted

Not close by no. They recently closed one hospital not too far away so everyone is pushed into my local one. I have been trying to keep busy to take my mind off the pain but it's like the energy is being drained from me. I may take a visit to hospital later today actually I can't cope any longer x

• Posted

Hi Sonia, I only have one a&e department in the county that I live in too so I know how you feel especially if you want to get a second opinion. 

You must go to a&e if the pain is unbearable though, I understand the lack of energy its so debilitating on its own without the pain to deal with. I'm tired all the time and only get disturbed sleep but then when your body is fighting a bad organ then its no surprise.

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Oh, I understand!  Please continue to give us updates! xx
    • Posted

I will most definitely keep all updated. The day seems to be dragging until the op I feel a little more relaxed this evening so am putting a&e off for now but if it gets worse again I will most definitely be going down there.

• Posted

I'm glad you're a bit more relaxed. Yes, I know it all seems to take forever but the next couple of weeks will soon go by and then you'll have your op and can be on the road to recovery.

Have a good evening and take care x

• Posted

Hi sonia i knows how you are feeling i am also waiting for surgery because of gallstones been A&E hospital doctors everything. I get the same symptoms as you not so much in my arm but upper right stomach which radiates to the back and feels like kidney area and also upper back to.Im also in pain all the time with mine aswell. i also sometimes get left pain and feel so tired and dizzy i cant stay awake and feel weak with flu type symptoms? im on a low fat to no fat diet now aswell. Go back to your doctors and tell them your still in so much pain and the pain meds are not working and see if they can give you something else to help. i hope this helped a little from carmella x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.