Awaiting gallbladder removal surgery anxious nervous and pain unbearable

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, for about 18 months I have been suffering with severe heartburn and upper abdominal pains. On the 7th of January I was admitted into hospital having been finally diagnosed with cholecystitis. (Inflammation and infection of the gallbladder caused by gallstones) after a few days in hospital I was sent home with a bag full of meds. I was given tramadol tablets but had a pre assessment for my op, which is on the 28th Feb, only a few weeks away, and was told to stop taking them as I am apparently allergic to them. Anyway, finally got the drs to prescribe some different pain killers after weeks of practically begging them for some and they have given me dehydrocodiene. I have been awake for the last 2 nights with the most horrendous pain. I'm finding the new pain killers also aren't working very well. I have been advised to go back to hospital if it got so bad and uncontrollable but with the crises we have at present with hospitals I don't fancy it one bit. I'm sorry I know this message a little long winded but the pain is now seeming to fall into my right arm which I can only describe as like an elastic band round it stopping circulation. Kind of like a dull achy pain, and also pain in my back where the right kidney is. I am more looking to find out if anyone else has ever experienced this with gallbladder issues and what medication worked best? I know that the only thing that's will help is surgery but in the mean time I'm finding it hard to cope. I was also diagnosed with gastro esophagus reflux disease so problems all in one which is now extremely uncomfortable. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Sonia x

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am just so sorry for you - try to take it just a day at a time - just to let you know you are in my prayers, even though you don't know me.  Keep with no to VERY low fat foods while you are waiting - I know that can be hard - there will be an end to this - hang in there-

Jonna

• Posted

hi sonia-we share your pain-so sorry you are going thru this but dont delay as the other posts suggest. go to ER if necessary- worst case the doc will perform emergency surgery rather than make you wait another 2wks. pls let us know the progress. feel better soon.
  • Posted

Just a quick update to all. I have over ther weekend unfortunately been in hospital after a severe gallbladder attack. Back on antibiotics and although I am booked in for just over a weeks time for the surgery it may need to be put off a small while longer because of a severe infection. The pain has been unbearable for ages now but thankfully have had intravenous meds which has almost completely cleared the pain. I was reluctant to go to a&e but eventually listened to all recommending me to. I'm now glad I did, but hope and pray the surgery will still go ahead. I am going to try and rest up as much as I can this week, drs orders, and have made work load for myself easier. Still feeling extremely nervous about the surgery but at the same time can't wait for it to be over with. Thank you all for the support and advice. I feel much better having had a short stay in hospital to recuperate a bit from the attack. X

• Posted

Hi Sonia, oh poor you, what a terrible time you're having. This isn't what you need so close to your surgery date. I hope that the infection clears so you can have  your surgery on the 28th. 

You must rest now and take plenty of fluids to try and clear the infection. I know what you feel about the surgery, as I mentioned mine's the day after and I'm terrified but I know that I need the operation because of the pain and I want to get back to normal.

Look after yourself and let us know how you're doing.

• Posted

Hi, Sonia!

So sorry to learn that you've had to be hospitalized!  Please rest and recuperate as much as you can so the infection abates and you can get that gallbladder out of you!  

Then, you'll finally be able to get back to being healthy!  You're in my thoughts and prayers! xx 

• Posted

Hi Sonia

Sorry you had a bad episode but so glad that you got the help you needed in A&E to ease your pain.

It's so horrible for people to suffer when you can get help.

Try to rest up & take it easy xx

• Posted

Thank you Lynda and Katherine. I have been given some new pain relief which seem to be helping. Along with 2 different antibiotics for 7 days, buscopan etc. They nearly didn't send me home because of very low blood pressure but I suffer with that anyway and told them I could handle that myself. I had been in constant agony all week and couldn't tolerate the pain any longer come Friday so had no choice. Katherine I shall be thinking of you also for the day after and wishing you all the best for your surgery. I am going on a salad and vegetable diet only for this week leading to the op so fingers crossed I have a free week of pain. Thank you all again for your kind words and advice it's been hugely appreciated xx

• Posted

Hi, Sonia,

You might want to consider taking probiotics, too.  Two antibiotics will do a number on the beneficial bacteria in your body.  Make sure to get one that will make it past your stomach; and that has cultures that work in your urinary and gastrointestinal tracts!

Just a suggestion.  xx 

• Posted

No that's a brilliant idea thank you. I will be sure to add that to my shopping list for tomorrow. I never thought of that to be honest but I will most definitely stock up for it all for the week

Thank you Lynda xx

• Posted

Lots of doctors prescribe heavy duty antibiotics without thinking of the consequences.  It's a "scorched earth" policy that can result in the overgrowth of harmful bacteria in the body that was formerly controlled by the good bacteria--that the antibiotics killed off.  

• Posted

Hi Sonia, just wondering how you're feeling today? Hope things are a bit better for you and that you don't end up in A&E again. Take care 

Thanks Lynda I'll try that also as I'm not having a good day but I suppose it gets worse before it gets better.

• Posted

I'm so happy to have stumbles across this thread! I seen a general surgeon last week Tue after experiencing pain under my right rib cage that goes all the way to my side and back! I have awful gas and belching and heartburn. He wanted surgery the day after without even testing me for anything just under the usumptioj it was gallbladder. I was not comfortable with that so I have an ultrasound tomorrow morning before scheduling surgery.

The pain feels like I have a golf ball or coat hanger up in my rib and I'm so sore around my side and back. Haven't been able to sleep and basically function. I'm petrified something is really wrong with me. I have four young kids and just wat to feel better to take care of them and live without fear of eating anything that will hurt.

Anyone else have a bad taste in their mouth at times?

Reading all these threads some how gave me some relief and I will pray for u all ??

Brandi

• Posted

Hi Brandi, sorry to hear you are experiencing this. I can honestly say it sounds quite likely gallstones. Before I even knew I had gallstones I was diagnosed with acute cholecystitis which is quite a severe attack of the gallbladder. The reason for some people needing surgery so soon with that is because it can become serious. If you are concerned I would highly recommend you take a trip to a&e. They will most certainly do necessary tests. Mine started with raised ESR bloods which indicate an inflammation in the body. I was meant to have surgery next Tuesday but after being in hospital over the weekend, I had a phone call Monday asking me to go in the next day. I am now 1 day post op and sadly in a lot of pain but resting and happy to know one I have recovered I will suffer no more. You can have funny tastes in the mouth I found myself brushing my teeth more and more in the day and going trough mouthwash like mad. I wouldn't let drs fob you off. I had been having these problems for almost 2 years and not one dr was able to diagnose me. Please get yourself checked out it's not a pleasant thing to have to deal with xx

• Posted

Glad you had your surgery! Was it scary? I'm petrified to go under!

Ultrasound confirmed 2 gallstones over 3cm wide hence the awful pain! He cannot get me in till next Friday for surgery at 3pm.

Are u in tons of pain? I have 4 kids I'm worried I won't be able to do much!

Praying you have a speedy recovery 😘

• Posted

I had multiple stones largest measuring 2.5 cm. I will be honest, I've had a few operations over the years and this is the only one I had been so nervous with. I was given some anxiety/ relaxation meds before I was put to sleep what really helped. I am currently taking codene and paracetamol together which is helping but only when I'm sat or laying completely still. Moving around at the moment is quite painful but I think it's more from the air they put into the stomach. I was told that can last up to a week before completely clear. I suggest after surgery walking little and often. A complete recovery can take up to 6 weeks but after 1 week you can do light activity just lifting for a few weeks more. You will benefit so much. I am keeping a daily diary and will update when I can with my experiences each day post op of that will help. I only have the one child, he's 9 and he's been so helpful from helping me to make a cup of tea even giving me my tablets. Under my supervision of course. You will need to take things easy and rest as much as you for a quicker and full recovery. I found after the op it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The pain isn't nice but it will get better. I will pop on daily and give you updates but please don't fret you will be absolutely fine. Thank you for your kind words I wish you all the best also xx 😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.