Awaiting gallbladder removal surgery anxious nervous and pain unbearable

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, for about 18 months I have been suffering with severe heartburn and upper abdominal pains. On the 7th of January I was admitted into hospital having been finally diagnosed with cholecystitis. (Inflammation and infection of the gallbladder caused by gallstones) after a few days in hospital I was sent home with a bag full of meds. I was given tramadol tablets but had a pre assessment for my op, which is on the 28th Feb, only a few weeks away, and was told to stop taking them as I am apparently allergic to them. Anyway, finally got the drs to prescribe some different pain killers after weeks of practically begging them for some and they have given me dehydrocodiene. I have been awake for the last 2 nights with the most horrendous pain. I'm finding the new pain killers also aren't working very well. I have been advised to go back to hospital if it got so bad and uncontrollable but with the crises we have at present with hospitals I don't fancy it one bit. I'm sorry I know this message a little long winded but the pain is now seeming to fall into my right arm which I can only describe as like an elastic band round it stopping circulation. Kind of like a dull achy pain, and also pain in my back where the right kidney is. I am more looking to find out if anyone else has ever experienced this with gallbladder issues and what medication worked best? I know that the only thing that's will help is surgery but in the mean time I'm finding it hard to cope. I was also diagnosed with gastro esophagus reflux disease so problems all in one which is now extremely uncomfortable. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Sonia x

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sonia

I have my daughter on Kefir it's a live probiotic, lady at work gave me done as she needed help after antibiotics and it does a lot of good for the IBS & other things . Won't cure all but will help counter balance x

• Posted

Hi Sonia

I was diagnosed with stones , 15 years ago! All ok until around 2 months ago, although I haven't had any 'extreme' attacks , I have had all sorts of classic symptoms related to gall bladder disease , ie bloating, some pain although not severe or constant. Went to my GP Friday to set the ball rolling re surgery but after explaining my symptoms she thought I had cholycystitis and said I ought to be admitted . I was gobsmacked because I thought cholycystitis would be constant excruciating pain . So I was just wondering , did you experience severe pain prior to admission over the weekend ? I'm just thinking maybe I should have gone in for iv's ? She did take blood on Friday & I haven't heard anything as yet , so not too sure what to think. So sorry for the long winded message it's just I'm feeling a bit anxious about it all ! Kindest regards Sara

• Posted

Hi Sara. I'm sorry I've only just seen your message. I had my op done yesterday so have been laid up. I would most definitely recommend you going to a&e and yes cholecystitis does require hospital admission. 1st time I was admitted I was on iv pain relief and antibiotics. I had the most excruciating pain with sever acid reflux. Mine became acute cholecystitis which was potentially life threatening if left untreated. Some people can be diagnosed with gallstones and never have problems. You can fully recover from one visit to hospital but you will have the choice whether or not to have surgery or not. I would highly recommend it. I have experienced the worst of gallstones and I really isn't pleasant. Please let me know how you get on and don't put it off. Wishing you all the best and keep us posted

Sonia xx

• Posted

Hi Sonia 

well the week has been uneventful so far with a dull ache on my side so I'm presuming there was no sign of infection , I'm sure I would have been doubled up in pain anyway . On the plus side I've got my scan on tues . How are you getting on ? I can't say that I am looking forward to surgery , infact I am so nervous I am considering hypnotherapy. I hope you continue to improve, having been a sufferer for 15 years on and off , I can only imagine the relief for you X 

• Posted

Hi Sara, please don't feel worried about surgery. I know how you feel I was exactly the same. You will see a number of different people before your surgery, on the day, the aneasatist, sorry I can't spell it, you will discuss any worries with them. They gave me a relaxant for my anxiety I had. And it did help as I don't remember a great deal and eventually felt really relaxed. It's the dull ache that is more uncomfortable it isn't pleasant. I have been to see the nurse today because of a wound that opened after my surgery and she has told me off for not resting properly so I am now laying on the sofa with my duvet. I'm so glad I had the surgery, I haven't been eating much but before I had it, anything and everything I ate irritated me so much. I have been absolutely fine. The recovery is a little long but I know it will be so worth it in the end. Please keep me posted with how you get on won't you. If you need any help with symptoms and problems post surgery I may be able to help with whether it's normal or not. Hope things are well otherwise xx

• Posted

Thanks Sonia , I just posted to carmella re the sharp pain in my side, it's blooomin painful but thankfully doesn't last too long. Did you experience this at all? I do hope you start to feel 'right' again soon , your posts have stopped me worrying myself to death, so thankyou so so much X 

• Posted

tut tut sonia, you've been over doing it haven't you!? You must rest certainly the first week to let your wounds heal as they do most of their healing in the first few days all knitting together.  Enjoy putting your feet up and being waited on and I'll keep watching for your latest updates. xx

• Posted

Had a phone call from the hospital this morning. Because of my ongoing problems, they have brought my surgery appointment forward. So instead of the 28th, I am booked in for tomorrow. The Nerves have kicked in but at the same time it's a huge relief to know that I don't need to worry for the week ahead of another attack. I have been given an afternoon appointment instead of a morning one so will try and pop on in the evening sometime to let all know how it went. Thanks for all the support from everyone xx

• Posted

That's exactly what needed to happen. Enjoy your new belly and be sure to post again afterwards.

• Posted

Hi Sonia, I'm pleased that you'll be able to get this sorted sooner rather than later. I hope everything goes well and we'll speak again after your surgery.

Good luck and best wishes

• Posted

Sonia,

That's great news!  I'm sure you're going to do well.  Remember that it will take a while to recover, so be gentle with yourself!

Please let us know how you get on!  xx

• Posted

Great Sonia, hope the next time we hear from you, the GB will be gone and you will be on the road to recovery.  Good luck
  • Posted

Hi all, I did reply but for some reason my reply hasn't loaded. I won't make it as long as it was haha but surgery went well. 2 and half hours long though which was slightly longer than normal. Am now home recovering but finding it hard not doing anything as I'm normally active and work motivated. I am from now on taking things easy though as I am suffering this evening with quite bad pain. The bloating from carbon diapause is extremely uncomfortable but I'm still alive, gallbladder free and glad I will no longer have to deal with the attacks I have suffered with. I am keeping a day to day diary of post op and hopefully will help with anyone having the same problem. Again I would just like to say thank you all for your support it has been hugely appreciated xx

• Posted

Well done Sonia,

Peppermint tea helps with the gas & walking around gently .

Really please you are ok and on the road to recovery.

Rest xx

• Posted

Sonia,

Great news!  You got through it well, and now you just need to give yourself the time you need to rest and heal.  

Please keep checking in on this site, because others can certainly benefit from your experience.

All the best!  xxx

• Posted

Aww that's good to know carol thank you. I won't go into too much detail but I have had several trips to the bathroom today with some not so nice bowel movements. I've not had stomach pains but was warned about this prior to leaving to come home. I currently look like I'm 6 months pregnant haha but I'm sure will all settle soon enough x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.