Awaiting gallbladder removal surgery anxious nervous and pain unbearable

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, for about 18 months I have been suffering with severe heartburn and upper abdominal pains. On the 7th of January I was admitted into hospital having been finally diagnosed with cholecystitis. (Inflammation and infection of the gallbladder caused by gallstones) after a few days in hospital I was sent home with a bag full of meds. I was given tramadol tablets but had a pre assessment for my op, which is on the 28th Feb, only a few weeks away, and was told to stop taking them as I am apparently allergic to them. Anyway, finally got the drs to prescribe some different pain killers after weeks of practically begging them for some and they have given me dehydrocodiene. I have been awake for the last 2 nights with the most horrendous pain. I'm finding the new pain killers also aren't working very well. I have been advised to go back to hospital if it got so bad and uncontrollable but with the crises we have at present with hospitals I don't fancy it one bit. I'm sorry I know this message a little long winded but the pain is now seeming to fall into my right arm which I can only describe as like an elastic band round it stopping circulation. Kind of like a dull achy pain, and also pain in my back where the right kidney is. I am more looking to find out if anyone else has ever experienced this with gallbladder issues and what medication worked best? I know that the only thing that's will help is surgery but in the mean time I'm finding it hard to cope. I was also diagnosed with gastro esophagus reflux disease so problems all in one which is now extremely uncomfortable. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Sonia x

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sonia, I'm glad that you've got through it all ok and that you're now on the mend. I think I'll be like you as I'm a very active person and I find it hard to keep still.

Rest easy and don't rush yourself. Take care x

• Posted

Oh Katherine it is so hard to not get up and do anything. I have my own cleaning business and although all my clients are so understanding of my health, I find it hard as I'm out working daily. I got out the front door for short while today which wasn't ideal but the fresh air was nice. I have over done it a bit today though so plan on resting up from now until I feel a little better. I just can't help myself haha will feel much better soon though and I will take things more easy x

• Posted

Hi Sonia, I'm self employed also with my husband and he rely's on me terribly even though I don't do his job its a case of just being a supportive person by your side so I expect that I'll have several phone calls from him after my surgery next week. 

Don't forget you must rest so that you can heal but I know that I'll want to get into the garden when its nice and potter around!

I'll look forward to reading your posts and seeing how you're getting on. Take care and don't forget to relax! x

• Posted

Aww thank you. And yes I can understand that. I don't think my partner has ever done enough for me like he has the last 2 days. I don't think he realised the seriousness of it all. I will keep an eye out for your update also. You keep me posted won't you? You take care too xx

• Posted

One thing you won't get over for a while is the repeated realisation that the pain attacks are finally over. Enjoy!

• Posted

Oh absolutely I can't wait to be back to normal and pain free. It's been a long time coming and it's finally over. Never someThing I would wish on anyone!! Thank you 😊 I am also now going to enjoy some much needed relaxing time which I have now realised I'm to take complete advantage of being waited on x

• Posted

hi i know how you feel im having surgery to take my gallbladder next thursday and was also scared but alot of people have had good storys and felt alot better after having it out. I know what you mean by the pain being so bad mine is all the time i get so many symptoms aswell and have also been hospital A&E And doctors so many times. I think when the gallbladder gets so bad theres not much that can help. do the no fat diet and low fat diet and like carol said go to A&E if gets to bad. Let us know how you get on after the surgery good luck from carmella

• Posted

I had the surgery on Tuesday. It was brought forward a week because of me ending up back in hospital last weekend. I'm home recovering now which at the minute seems to be dragging and not feeling very much recovered so quickly but worth the wait in the long run. Keep me posted with how you get on after surgery and in the mean time, try and stick to salad. It didn't really help me much but my pains were less severe with that. You may feel more hungry but the pains are less severe. Best wishes

• Posted

Hi carmella 

I have got a scan next tues, I was  diagnosed 15 years ago with gall stones but I'm suffering one way or another everyday now. I know they'll want me in quite quick but my worry is that they won't operate until I  loose a couple of stone. I hope all goes well for you next week , I am soo scared and I haven't even got an op date yet ! Just out of interest did you ever get any occasional sharp almost trapped wind pain in your side ? It's a new but very painful symptom for me ! Kindest regards Sara 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.