Awaiting hip replacement but Atos sent for interview

Posted , 8 users are following.

8 years ago I was awarded lifetime DLA but being reassessed for pip, under new rules for anyone born after April 1948 (I miss out by a few weeks). I sent pip forms back a week ago with letter from consultant to my GP confirming I am on waiting list for hip replacement. It says on gov uk website people waiting for major joint surgery should not be called for interview but I have been sent an appointment from Atos. Do I have to attend or can I request a paper based assessment as it says in their website guidelines? 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Jay,

I am not really sure of the answer to your qestion I'm afraid.  I was on DLA ( 20 years) but did not need hip   replacement so I cannot answer your question.  I had an assessment 2 weeks ago, but am still waiting a decision.

I,m sure someone  on here can anser your query. 

• Posted

Thank you, hope all goes well for you
  • Posted

Not really sure why these guidelines and why your assessment. But nothing surprises with ATOS and DWP. I am awaiting a Heart Transplant and have really bad orthopedic issues too but whilst at my lowest I was forced to attend a centre for assessment resulting in a real battle to get correct rares of PIP.

• Posted

Ireally feel for you Greg I have heart failure too and my hearts not in a good state ,the time when you really don't need any stress but Being stressed out having to ask for a little bit of financial help not good thankfully mine was not to bad but it's not always the case with pip so hit and miss

• Posted

thats disgraceful, they just have no understanding how it is to be ill all the time! 
    • Posted

My assessment brought on a very severe Angina attack causing further weakness and damage to my heart. As well as a blue light visit and stay in Hospital.
    • Posted

While in your assessment ...omg....if they did,nt realise how poorly you were from submitting paper forms and this happened...then I suggest a solicitor
  • Posted

Hi Jay

You need to contact both ATOS and DWP straight away and explain your circumstances. In the letter refer to the advice on Gov Uk website and request a paper based assessment if that is what you prefer.

You could also ask for the assessment to take place in your home.

Send all letters recorded delivery and keep receipts. If you don't hear anything before your assessment you would have a fall back position if you are physically unable to attend.

• Posted

I too was given for life and indefinite awards for DLA starting in 1995. But to get those awards I was re-assessed 6 times with a face to face  every two years or so. Each time the result was fail, but just before the appeal date the DWP re-offered everything that I had before - HRM & MRC - indefinitely.

You mention a government website that states that certain people should not have to go to a PIP face to face assessment. Could you tell me where this is please?

The only reason I ask is that I understood from the regulations that there are no exemptions - if they want a face to face they get one be it at an assessment centre or at home. Because of that I didn't go ahead and transfer to PIP when I was 67 - would not be able to cope with continuous face to face assessments every few years for the rest of my life.

• Posted

thank you. Since writing this I phoned Atos who told me to ring Dwp who then told me Atos should have dealt with it. The Dwp guy was very helpful and said a Case worker will ring me in a few days so I will see what happens. I am not too worried if I do have to go to the interview because I have nothing to hide but would prefer not to as I am in a lot of pain (I have other conditions as well as my hip). I will see what they say when they ring, if no joy I will take your advice. 
  • Posted

It's guidance rather than a rule. "In certain circumstances it should be possible to provide advice at a paper based review. Although each case should be determined individually, The following types of cases should not normally require a face-to-face consultation: " p29/30 here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519147/pip-assessment-guide.pdf by the same arguement somebody awaiting major joint surgery will be likely to reviewed sooner because the surgery should improve their level of function

• Posted

Thank you. I have arthritis in other joints as well as other problems but I did wonder if they will review after surgery.
    • Posted

somebody awaiting major joint surgery will be likely to reviewed sooner because the surgery should improve their level of function

That makes complete sense for obvious reasons (although I hadn't thought that myself)

Claimants with severe neurological conditions such as ........... dementia...................

I never knew that either. I was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia by the memory clinic following two days of tests. Although I didn't go through with the DLA transfer to PIP due to not wanting anymore face to face assessments, I presume that that condition wasn't one for DLA. I had a face to face assessment at a centre for my last DLA review.

Things you learn.

Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.