b12 deficiency

Posted , 1 user is following.

Im Vitamin b12 deficiency.. In 5 weeks I've had 5 injections. I was told the next one is April 8th and every 3 months after that.. im also peri menopause.. I was told I should be getting injections every month.. I still have tingling in my finger tips and of and on lightheaded.. I asked my doctor if I could have the injections every month he said no The 5 injections were a good enough top up.. my reading was 160 on December 12th 2014.. my iron etc were perfect in the blood test.. im not anemic.. The doctor said the lightheaded and tingling in my finger tips could be the peri menopause.. im 43 and I'm not a vegetarian.. I can't absorb b12.. I'm on centrum at the moment.i bought them myself. I'm trying to get sublingual that goes under the tongue but in ireland I can't get it anywhere.. If I do get some can i still get my 3 monthly injections.. any advice please...

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi martina. i'm sorry to hear you are still having those 'tingling' feelings in your finger tips & feeling lightheaded.

it could well be due to the peri-menapuse, although your v. young to have such marked peri menapausal symptoms. it could also be due to the cells wakening up & becoming active & vigorous post the b12 injections. think someone on here commented similarly previously.

martina, i'm wondering if u now feel any better after the 5 injections. and if 'yes', in what areas? what are your worst symptoms now?

i'll have a look on the Internet & see where you could get or order sublingual b12 on line.

however, it's important to be aware that it does take some time to experience the full benefuts of the injections. sometimes this can be several months. it's impossible to definitely say how long it will take as everyone's responds at varying speeds & degree.

C

• Posted

Hi caitlin yes I have a lot better than I was.. my mouth and tongue was sore the roof of my mouth my tongue even my throat.. now that has gone away.. The twitching in my right upper arm is gone.. The tingling in my finger tips are still there but not as bad and the light headed is there but not like it was.. I can't order on line I have no credit cards.. but if I could buy it in ireland somewhere that would help... Thanks for your help.. I am greatful to you..
    • Posted

hi martina. i'm really pleased to hear you have responded so well & so quickly to the injections. for most people it takes much longer.

you should continue to respond untill all those symptoms disappear . meantime, it might be wise not to drive until the light headedness has gone.

martina, it would be helpful if you could be on a good quality vitamin B complex & some Folic Acid. you need a good quality one ?

see if you have a good 'Health Food Store' in your nearest big town or city. ask for a good quality vitamin B complex & some Folic Acid. you could also aks if they have sublingual b12. if not ask if they could sign post you or even order one for you. it's always worth ASKING. people do respond positively generally speaking.

best wishes

C

town

• Posted

Thanks caitlin. There is a herb shop near me I will ask her. She's nice.. I would be able to get that other stuff there.. vitamin B complex & some Folic Acid what strength would I need also do I stop taking my centrum for women multivitamin when I'm on vitamin b complex and folic acid and sublingual. .
    • Posted

I forgot to mention I can't drive
    • Posted

hi martina

good to know there is someone who'll be able to give you the B complex / Folic Acid. hopefully she'll be able help with the other as well.

it's best to discontinue the b complex your presently on. then start with good quality one and take the capsules/tablets as instructed on the container. if in any doubt ask the 'herb' lady.

don't over do it with the Folic Acid. just the amount that's suggested on the container. just in case, the 'herb' lady has difficulty (which i presume she won't) ask her to google this web site.

also, martina, are you clear on the best food sources for b12?

C

• Posted

I eat weetabix ..butterhead lettuce.. white bread I can't eat brown gives me a terrible pain in my stomach.. sandwich spread original. Cheese.. I like toast.. I eat potatoes all vegetables except cailflower that makes me sick since I was pregnant I lost that baby.. I eat meat chicken.. turkey.. beef.. chops lamb and beef.. etc.. drink deluite juice mostly black currant.. don't drink fizzy.. I rarely eat chocolate..
    • Posted

hi martina. hope u are continuing to make progress.

Foods rich in B12 include:

1) animal meats: liver from lamb/beef/calf/chicken

2)fish - cod/trout/salmon/tuna

3)Eggs

4Cheese - edam/brie/blue/cottage.

c

• Posted

hi again martina.

Foods rich in Folic Acid include:

1)Black eyes peas /lentils/mung & kidney beans.

2)green leafy vegetables especially: spinach on salads.

3)cos & romaine lettuce.

4)turnip top greens on salad.

5)broccoli/brussel sprouts/kale.

6)oranges

7) wheat germ

hope that helps martina.

btw, my computer is playing up (on its way out) so if i don't respond to a question, i'm not being rude. it's just my system.

c

• Posted

hi martina: did the doctor tell you why you were b12 deficient?

C

• Posted

My stomach wont absorb b12.. I'm feeling really lightheaded now.. don't know if it's b12 or peri menopause.. its scary been lightheaded like this.. yet the room is not spinning...
    • Posted

hi martina.

did the Dr tell you the reason you your stomach is not absorbing b12?

• Posted

No he never said.. just if I eat meat I won't absorb b12.. I'm so lightheaded.. caitlin.. I don't know what to do im scared.. is it b12 or peri menopause.. could it be vertigo.. I don't have great hearing I was born that way..
    • Posted

No he never said.. just if I eat meat I won't absorb b12.. I'm so lightheaded.. caitlin.. I don't know what to do im scared.. is it b12 or peri menopause.. could it be vertigo.. I don't have great hearing I was born that way..
    • Posted

hi martina.

i'm so sorry to hear of the fear the lightheadedness is causing you.

if it's coz of the peri-menapuase, it'll pass as per-menapause symptoms come & go.

however, if you feel that your lightedness is worse than usual, perhaps you could call a medical advise centre & ask for their advice. i don't know the health system in ireland, so can't advise on the facilities available. i wish i could help but i'm at a distance, so not a lot of use to you right now.

C

• Posted

Just talking to you

Helps.. at night ireland has the care doctor and at the weekends.. It comes and goes and a warm room don't help.. how long have you been b12 deficiency.. have you started menopause yet.. how do you cope

• Posted

we have what we call a 111 system here in the UK. we can phone up and ask for medical/health care advice. the 111 assistant will advise if s/he feels one needs further ''hands -on'' medcial assistance and will advise 'out-of-hours ' Dr or to go to A & E. our A & E system is over stretched presently, so i would only go there if i were v. ill. i usually self- manage as i've got some medical knowledge & experience and know when things are serious. i do a lot of self-help stuff . and i have a wicked sense of humour that helps me laugh myself out of tight corners?

C

• Posted

What do you think my lightheaded is from.. and tingling fingertips and slight numbness in my face.. what should I do. I live in Scotland for 10 years.. I meet my husband there..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.