b12 deficiency

Posted , 1 user is following.

Im Vitamin b12 deficiency.. In 5 weeks I've had 5 injections. I was told the next one is April 8th and every 3 months after that.. im also peri menopause.. I was told I should be getting injections every month.. I still have tingling in my finger tips and of and on lightheaded.. I asked my doctor if I could have the injections every month he said no The 5 injections were a good enough top up.. my reading was 160 on December 12th 2014.. my iron etc were perfect in the blood test.. im not anemic.. The doctor said the lightheaded and tingling in my finger tips could be the peri menopause.. im 43 and I'm not a vegetarian.. I can't absorb b12.. I'm on centrum at the moment.i bought them myself. I'm trying to get sublingual that goes under the tongue but in ireland I can't get it anywhere.. If I do get some can i still get my 3 monthly injections.. any advice please...

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi martina. hope you're having a better day as the weather's bright, sunny & windy here to-day. so hope it's similar down ur neck of the woods. it's nice change from the rain.

re: lightheadedness etc. firstly martina i must make it clear that, it's ONLY a qualified medical doctor that can 'diagnose' medical problems. on here we just support each other through information exchange, sign posting to other medical facilitites & info. resources. this facilitates an increase in each others 'knowledge bank'. with greater knowledge & clarity we are likely to get better results from the Docs & more appropraite medical interventions.

so if u wish to get clear information as to what's causing your symptoms lightheadedness etc. we could work toward getting a clear picture of what's going on with you to take to the GP.

C

• Posted

Okay. . What do I need to do.. im lightheaded I want to do housework but I'm scared I might faint or something..
    • Posted

hi martina.

1)tell me if the lightheadedness (lets call it LH) is there all the time?

2) does it get worse when u stand up, lie down ?

3)what makes it better or worse?

4)what does it feel like - can u describe it i.e. does the ground spin? is ur eye sight affected.

5)when did it come on i.e. before the injections or after the injections?

6)do u have a headache with it?

7)if yes what kind of headache and where in your head?

8) do u know if your blood pressure (BP) is ok?

9)did your Dr do a 'Menapuasal hormonal blood test?

10) if yes what was the result?

c

• Posted

Lightheaded is there on and of most of the day.. its worse if I stand up. Sitting makes it better. Nothing is spinning just lightheaded like inside my head is spinning. It has started after injections. I have no headache.blood pressure is fine the doctor checked that.. The doctor said the blood test has come back as i have b12 deficiency and peri menopause. Peri menopause and b12 deficiency have a lot of the same symptoms.
    • Posted

hi again martina. thank u for being pateint with getting soem clarity with what's going on with you.

1) tell me if lying down makes any difference to the LH i.e. does it get better, worse or go away altogether when u lie down?

2)have you fainted with it to date?

3)are u on any other medication?

4) do u know your B/P reading is - it might be on the low side?

5)where about's is the numbness on your face?

6)desribe the numbness on your face?

7)is it there all the time?

9)when is it worse/better?

10) where exactly is the numbness on your face

11) and the tingling in your toes/fingers are the ALL worse at the same time?

C

C

• Posted

Lightheaded is the same when lying down sitting..

I have not fainted.

The only thing I'm on is the pill but I'm not on it at the moment I'm been put on the mini pill..

I don't know my blood pressure reading except the doctor took it and he said it was fine..

Numbness in the face is forehead nose not as bad now.. numbness feels like my skin is tight..

Not there all the time..

Numbness in face do sent get worse.. It just goes away itself..

tingling in fingers are there all the time just not as bad.

• Posted

hi martina. thank u for that info.

can u tell me if u have or have had a tendency to have

1) any ear problems i.e. ear infections?

2)problems with hearing or any noises in your ears?

• Posted

with regards to tingling in fingers/hands/legs??

1)is both sets of arms/fingers aggected?

2)are your toes legs affeced?

with the facial numbness: did it come on after the injections or before them?

c

• Posted

Yes when I was little I had to go to the hospital I couldn't hear the teacher.. my mum was told I have hearing problems so I was moved to the front of the class. I've have ear infections..

Yes the other day my ears were whooshing.. there was ringing to and yesterday my hearing dropped to...

• Posted

It's only in fingers tips on both hands..

Toes are not affected..

I've had face numbness before injections.. about September. ..

• Posted

thank you martina, you are very good at history giving. well done so far:

1)tell me if the numbness is getting less severe post injections?

2)does the severity of tingling corelate with the severity of the LH i.e do the symptoms of each get more severe & less severe @ the same time?

3)what time of the day/night are your symptoms worst?

4)time of day/night are ut symptoms least severe?

5) on a score of 0-10 waht number would u say your LH was generally speaking. For example 0 = zero symptoms of LH. 10 is the worst it's been so far?

C

• Posted

I didn't have tingling in the finger tips till injections..

But it's not as bad since the 5 injections..

The numbness in the face stopped.. but after the injections it returned but not bad..

Light headed is worst than tingling fingertips. .

Tingling fingertips no time it's just steady tingling..

Lightheaded afternoon

lightheaded morning

Number 5

• Posted

thank u martina. we're building up a 'quantifiable' picture that Doc can glance at and hopefully will either take action if necessary or/and reassure you that what's happening with u is to be expected in response to the injections & the peri-menapause symptoms.

just a final question: how much would u say the LH is interfering with your daily house work routine and with looking after your little one?

C

• Posted

martina. my system is crashing (heavy evening on line traffic) and i need to lie down for a bit. i'll get back to u in a few hours and we'll create a concise diary of symptoms with their severity quantified for ur Doc to action or reassure you.

connect in a few hours

best wishes

C

• Posted

I would say it's not interfering with housework or looking after my little one.. I hoovered today etc.. im more scared of the lightheaded. .
    • Posted

hi martina. from what u say re your symptoms, it's likely that the b12 injections & the peri-menapuse symptoms maybe responsible for the LH. however, as you're also having ear symptoms, i think you should see your GP to rule out any 'middle ear' problems & to re-check your B/P. so if u make a diary of symptoms to take along with u, it'll help GP make the best decision for u.
    • Posted

Okay thank you so much for all your help.. I'll make an appointment tomorrow to see the doctor and when I've seen him I'll come back to you and tell you what happened.. The house is not as hot now and also my lightheaded has stopped for a while.. Thanks for everything.. how do you cope with all this.. your amazing x
    • Posted

You know something else I noticed.. my eye sight don't seem that good.. I do have glasses but I only need them for reading and watching television.. I don't think there strong enough.. would that cause light head iness. . I might see my optician to..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.