b12 deficiency

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi I have b12 deficiency.. does anyone here know where I can buy b12 spray.. I'm in Ireland so someone from ireland can you please help

0 likes, 17 replies

Report

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

    hi martina. sorry i'm not from ireland. however, i don't know if your GP has told u, that it takes some time for the b12 injections to express their FULL results/response. they go on working long after you've completed the course.

    generally speaking, u should have a b12 blood test sometime after your last injection (april 8th) to access ur b12 levels post the course & to access whether you need further injections or not.

    if u top up with b12 spray BEFORE the evaluation test, your levels will most probably show up as high and your GP won't prescribe anymore injections for u. so, it's best that u allow the injections to have their FULL effect & decide on the spray AFTER ur evaluation test post april 8th.

    i hope that makes sense.

    caitlin.

    Report
    • Posted

      Thanks caitlin. . No the doctor said i didn't need a blood test again then he said I can come in on June if I wanted a blood test..
      Report
    • Posted

      hi martina.

      the GP (or nurse) will need to evalaute your levels post the course of injections. we don't know why u've become b12 deficient, whether u have poor absorbtion of b12 or whether u have PA, or are deficient for other reasons.

      it seems the GP is allowing a couple of months to see the full response from the b12 injections. by may/june you should have a better idea of how well the injections have worked. as i said they don't work overnight. it takes time to make up for the b12 depletion & to top up the body stores & to experience the full effect of the injections. most ppl 'top up' only if they need to i.e. if they have 'break through symptoms' between injections - that's AFATER they have had the full course of loading injections & have had their response evaluated by a post course blood test

      caitlin.

      Report
    • Posted

      Yeah its a pity he won't be there he is retiring end of may.. I'll wait and have blood test first.. The injection have helped me a lot thank god.. do you use spray.. 3 months is a long time to wait.. but I think he knows what he's doing
      Report
    • Posted

      hi martina. the injections u've had go on repairing any damage done, so you should continue to experience positive results for soem yet. meantime, since u have poor b12 absorbtion, it's important that you ensure that u get enough b12 rich foods. i hope ur GP's replacement is good one.

      caitlin.

      Report
    • Posted

      Does b12 injections work.. There is not a test to see what is in the cells. Majority of blood b12 is inactive. Is this true.. I feel much better since getting my injections..
      Report
    • Posted

      hi martina. plsd. to hear ur doing well on the injections.

      yes, b12 does work to varying degrees and for most people. and yes again, apparently 80% of the b12 in our circulatory system is inactive. whilst the other 20% is active. it's the 20% that gets us better. that's the norm so to speak.

      there maybe a test to check the b12 concentration in the cells, but i don't know of such off the top of my head. if there is such a test, i'd say it's not available in the NHS or it's equivalent.

      Caitlin.

      Report

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up