B12 levels?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Blood results twice show abnormal levels, think they said 60? For years

suffered with health issues of one kind or another. And had prickly sensations mainly in hands. Tiredness on and off. If go out walking exhausted afterwards, not all the time though. So what should the B12 levels be?

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

60 is very low. You're lucky if those are the worst symptoms you have. The NHS seem to say >210 is normal, whereas in Japan they say >500.

Get some injections.

• Posted

NHS doctors will tell you around 200, but take no notice.  You want 500 plus, 700 to 1,000 would be better.  This is a serious condition that does great harm in the long term if not corrected.  Be firm with your GP and insist on international levels.  Very soon the BMA will be changing the NHS rules but you can't wait.
    • Posted

Hi Bluemaran. Can you tell me more about the BMA rule changes. I know a few people being denied b12 because they are above our local lab range of 160 but they have a level below 200.
  • Posted

The normal ranges between 200 and 1100. I'm at 280 and have symptoms. I would start injections ASAP and get a B12 quick dissolve tablet 5000mcg. At health food store. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Posted

My levels are 125 and I am due to have my 2nd injection tonight. I expect it takes a while to feel any better after injections. Insist on injections to GP. It is not normal to feel so tired after a walk. Best of luck x
  • Posted

Appreciate all the feed back, hoping to see doctor tomorrow.

Unfortunately due to other health issues it's hard not to always know what symptom is with which issue.

Would like to know what people suffer from because of this deficiency.

• Posted

After reading all the posts wonder if I may have misheard what was told over phone regarding the levels. Should find out tomorrow.
  • Posted

Hi Janet, can I ask you for what reason did you ask your GP for B12 blood tests.  I keep asking but I don't seem to be able to get them ?
    • Posted

Every now and again come out in rash, this was the worst so I Visited doctor next day and they took various blood samples. I am under my doctor for various health issues so sometimes they over lap with symptoms. B12 abnormalnand repeated again after 3 months. I am so lucky that my doctors are great.
  • Posted

You are lucky you've got goodGPs Janet, mine are useless,I don't even know the names of some of them. Like you I have several health issues but trying to get blood tests done is hopeless.  Anyway thank you for answering me,sorry to have ranted on. Take care 
    • Posted

Norma have you had a full blood count done? Some of the results could point towards low b12 which would be reason for testing b12.
    • Posted

Hi Heather, I have an Underactive thyroid, and someone told me unless I had a full blood count ( and she told me what to ask for ) including B12 they wouldn't know if they were teating me right.  So I ask for it and myGP said I had it done but I insisted and got it done,well it came back that I needed folic acid,and when I asked for a copy of my blood test it didn't mention B12 so it made me wonder if it was done.  Sorry Heather for the long story but it's even longer, after I had them blood tests done my Endo sent me for two scans, so that's got me even more worried.  I'm thinking now have they picked something up I wouldn't have known about if I hadn't asked for these blood tests, including B12.  
    • Posted

Hi Janet I know what the scans are for they are for another condition called Parathyroid, what I'm trying to say is I don't think that would have been picked up if I hadn't asked for a full blood count, so I'm also wondering what else there not telling me.  Because they say on the thyroid sight GP don't like giving you B12. I now it's an entirely different illness to this sight but I somhow think it all ties in.
    • Posted

Have just been to doctors and going to have to 5x b12 injections.

I also have an interactive thyroid, so will look this up. Told need them for life.

• Posted

Thyroid and low b12 can be linked. I have suspicious thyroid nodules under investigation. Ask for a printout of your test results. Your are legally entitled to them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.