Back in the driving seat post op - eight weeks....?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Just read an extremely worrying post that states that post op on the right hip, as in my case, you are not back to driving for an entire two months.  No way, can I live like that!  To get out of here I have to drive across a bridge fording the Avon/Kennet canal.  There are buses, somewhere in the far distance, but I don't see the point in loading down with shopping and lugging it all back on a bus, and then having a nice long walk, loaded dow with shopping!  Delivery services or not, there are some things, that I need to see and examine before purchase!  

I haven't used a bus since I left San Francisco, and do not particularly want to start now!  

This is new information, and again adds to the confusion as there are other reports of being back behind the wheel at four weeks!  

So, what actually is the true situation?  My own common sense, would tell me that it is down to the individual patient's recovery rate, and not Draconian diktats that test and frustrate us even further!  

It's almost Kafkaesque!!!!

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I believe you need the go ahead from the surgeon and to be able to do an emergency stop. Usually you will get the go ahead at the 6 week post op meet.
  • Posted

The true situation is that, as all people are different, the post op time that people start to drive varies. Six weeks is average, mine is a RTHR, and I was given the go ahead at post op check at 6.5 weeks.

i would guess that those driving at 4 weeks have a LTHR and an automatic car.

you will find ways to adapt for the relatively short time, within a lifetime, that you are unable to drive. There are many frustrating parts along the roller coaster of recovery, lack of independent mobility being just one

• Posted

Hi Susie

Is this from my post when I shared what the physio told me?

This was only a general guide and you are right it will depend on the individuals recovery, type of car etc. 

Linnet x

• Posted

Hi Susie,

And, all depends on where exactly you live and the hospital's advice - I gather even different USA states have different rules. If your surgeon feels you are safe tho', that means you can drive without danger to yourself or others. And yes, some heal faster than others - I was told pre op that  6 weeks was fine unless problems developed, but to check with insurance complany, which I did. Actually all went well, but glad i waited a bit...

sounds like you like in an idyllic place, nice for walks which hopefully you'll enjoy more as you get your life back post op.

Warmly

mic

x

• Posted

HI Mic:

Live right by the Avon/Kennet canal.  So, plenty of wildlife, human and otherwise!  Not really used to rural existence as I have always been an urban dweller, London, New York and San Francisco, with SF being the longest.  Also lived in Bath, where my daughter is at the present time,  Probably should have remained in Bath.  Parking there is awful, though.  At least, here, my car is right outside.

The Forum is great in so many ways, but it is rather a minefield of conflicting information.  Insurance company notification of surgery being one of them.

How far along are you with your procedure?

All the best to you,

Susie

• Posted

Hi Susie,

nice to hear from you and inagine your walking along the canal looking at kingfishers!

yes this forum is lovely, but any minefield is not of our doing: simply very different conflicting advice given to us that we try to understand!

So, my op was 29 Feb, so almost 9 months now! No TEDS, no injections,  and driving advice was after a clear 6 weeks post op if i felt up to it. I did! that's all.

I've had a really good recovery, touch wood and Godde, mainly cos I'm pretty fit anyway. My only regret is some of you lovely pepole had areal life physio to see weekly or so, and Exeter gave ahelpful book, but no physio...

happy recovery, and say 'hi' to the kingfisher!

Mic

xx

• Posted

In uk if you drive your car before surgeon says it is okay if you have a accident they are not covered by insurance.
    • Posted

Thanks Marilyn,

I had rather reached that conclusion.  The dilemma was concerning the conflict between six or eiight weeks.  I would be an absolute fool to get behind the wheel, before I am fit to drive.  I have more sense than that.

Regards,

• Posted

why don't you contact your Consultants Secretary and ask her to ask him? that way you will know it from the horses mouth instead of conflicting stories from all our Consultants. Every Consultant has their own way, and it is their decision, mine won't do my other hip until I am 12 months over this one, Others have theirs done after a few months.  As Marilyn and others have said, you are not covered if you have an accident. By the way I was allowed to drive after 6 weeks as long as I could do an emergency stop. I had LTHR 7 months ago.

• Posted

When I left hospital after my replacement I was given a pack of information and there was a list of all the 'restrictions' in graph form across the top and that particular hospitals surgeons listed down the side. The graph was then filled in with each surgeons time scales for each restriction ie sleeping on side, driving, wearing stockings....etc. My surgeons recommendation was 6 weeks for pretty much everything, another one was only 2 weeks and others were somewhere in between.

People on this forum only know their own experiences and they are all different as we all had different surgeons. The answers to your questions will only come once you have a date for surgery and the time comes to talk your surgeon and ask all the questions you have.

There are no hard and fast set rules in this, it is the surgeon who decides based on the way he does the operation, which technique he uses.......and of course all will be subject to change, if maybe you don't heal as quickly as expected or if there are any complications which could delay the healing process.

• Posted

Hi Susie

I gues there are two things that determine whether you can drive. Ability to stop and insurance. For the first you just jump in your car and put your foot on the brake. I have found it so much easier to drive post op than pre op, and driving is much easier than walking. I feel totally normal behind the wheel, and have done since 5 weeks.

The other is more contentious, and I think would vary from area to area. I suggest you check with the local authorities about what restrictions they put on driving. I tried to check, but no one would return my phone call. Grrr. So I drove carefully anyway.

• Posted

Hi Kikeena:

I have tried my local authority about a number of issues over the years.  Due to the cut back, you are faced with a lengthy wait before, the phone is actually picked up, and then if you are vey lucky, you may be put through to a department where someone, somewhere just may give you an answer, and with any luck, it is the the correct answer.  

I have been advised to call the insurance company themselves, the surgeon, the GP, the physio, and so on.  What it chiefly boils down to is common sense.  Obtaining paperwork from the consultant stating that you are fit to drive, and then snowing everyone in the chain with paperwork, that will sit on an every growing pile of correspondence, and either get lost or filed in the waste basket.  As long as you have your originals filed in the right place, and are carrying the right documentation with you. you should be on the right side of whichever law may apply......

• Posted

Thanks Susie. I wonder if this has ever been tested in a court of law. There seems so much confusion in an area where the rules are usually very clear.

• Posted

Hey Kikeena

Bit worried about your saying Susie should 'jump' into her car. Is that a running jump or a stationary one? How high a jump? and is she allowed a pole to assist like in the athletics on TV!!!

Both of you have alovely jumpy day

mic

xM

• Posted

Mic Susie will be ' jumping' for joy hurtling out of Trowbridge after six lob weeks with the kingfishers!

Am I right Susie? smile xx

• Posted

Long it is supposed to say but maybe lob is a better definition anyway! Xx
    • Posted

Hi Rose:

Post op, I will certainly be glad to be back behind the wheel.  It is almost impossible to get out of here without a car, as we have to cross the canal.  It will be nice to be able to take walks along the canal with the camera.  I just wish people with dogs, would bag the dog poo and take it home with them, rather than throw it up into the branches of the trees!  I shudder to think what holiday makers on the narrowboats think of the Staverton,Trowbridge area, or if they are from other countries, what they make of the British!  A beauty spot ruined.

• Posted

Hi Mic:

Perhaps I should consider pole vaulting over the canal!  Fortunately, there is plenty to keep me amused with the local wildlife, human and otherwise, and there is always something happening on the canal and towpath!  Depends upon how soon my surgery date is.  Spring is great, becausethe ducks come up to be fed, and so do the swans, who like to be hand fed.

• Posted

I had a lovely jumpy day yesterday! No actual jumping involved but my best freind took me to a lovely restaurant beside the beach for my birthday, so I was very happy. And jumpy!!!

Hope you're still jumping along mic. xx

• Posted

Happy birthday dear Kikeen

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you

Xx

• Posted

Happy birthday Kikeena!! It sounds like a gorgeous way to enjoy your day - big birthday hugs smile
    • Posted

I have it soooo good. Life does get better Rose. Get this out of the way and celebrate your next birthday in true style. Without red crutches!
    • Posted

Belated Happy Birthday Kikeena, sounds like you had s wonderful day

Linnet x 💐🎂

• Posted

Thanks Linnet. I was 59, so a big one next year. I'm feeling it too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.