Back in the driving seat post op - eight weeks....?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Just read an extremely worrying post that states that post op on the right hip, as in my case, you are not back to driving for an entire two months.  No way, can I live like that!  To get out of here I have to drive across a bridge fording the Avon/Kennet canal.  There are buses, somewhere in the far distance, but I don't see the point in loading down with shopping and lugging it all back on a bus, and then having a nice long walk, loaded dow with shopping!  Delivery services or not, there are some things, that I need to see and examine before purchase!  

I haven't used a bus since I left San Francisco, and do not particularly want to start now!  

This is new information, and again adds to the confusion as there are other reports of being back behind the wheel at four weeks!  

So, what actually is the true situation?  My own common sense, would tell me that it is down to the individual patient's recovery rate, and not Draconian diktats that test and frustrate us even further!  

It's almost Kafkaesque!!!!

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Susie

For transport for shopping etc, have you tried any of the Charities ? They often provide transport at a small charge. As you are near the Avon/Kennet Canal you could Google

wiltshirecommunitytransport

• Posted

Susie,

I was allowed to drive after 1st. follow up appointment provided I was off prescription pain medication.

• Posted

1st follow up was at 5 weeks.

• Posted

Hello Riley,

Many thanks for the information.  I think it makes a difference, though as to which hip was affected. In my case, it is the right.  

• Posted

Hi Riley,

I have just posted to Angela on this issue....  I may be right, and I may be wrong.  Some of the R&Rs (across the board) are so obscure or "daft" it is difficult to employ any degree of intelligence or thought..... 

• Posted

Failing all else you need a chauffeur! Either a kindly friend or a paid one to ferry you around. Quite frankly you will be driven stir crazy otherwise by the sounds of it! It is money well spent like my Amazon red Christmas crutches a snip at £24 and very festive! smile
    • Posted

Thanks Rose,

Going to check out those crutches!  Transportation is going to be a nightmare situation to overcome.  My daughter, in Bath doesn't drive and she works during the days as does everyone else, and therein lies the problem.

My current situation has been compromised for the past nine years or so by anti social behaviour, stalking, etc., by close neighbours, that the police did not take seriously, until I provided them with undeniable intelligence about the culprits.  This has complicated matters somewhat. 

Will be looking into options regarding transportation.

• Posted

I was given the go ahead to drive at my post surgery check up which was at 6.5 weeks. The doctor just wanted me to be sure that I could carry out an emergency stop.

However, I had to chase the hospital up for that date. The appointment I was offered was not at the same hospital where I had my surgery (somewhat further away, which is of course an issue when you cannot drive) but was told that otherwise I would have had to wait until after christmas. That would have been 12 or 13 weeks before getting the go ahead to drive, by which time I should be back at work. The key seems to be the timing of that follow up appointment - assuming, of course, that the surgeon is happy that you are recovered sufficiently to be able to drive. Mine was a left hip but nothing in the conversation with the doctor indicated that it mattered which leg was affected.

• Posted

I have just posted on this issue - again....

Re left, vs. right hip.  Maybe it does not much matter, because if you are driving a stick shift car, an emergency stop requires the use of both legs and feet, otherwise the car will stall!

• Posted

Exactly so. I was struggling pre-op with my clutch foot (left). No problem now. Emergency stop was a doddle.
  • Posted

Hi Susie,

I was driving 10 days after my left THR and 14 days after my right THR, surgeon told me whenever I feel I'm ready to drive to go ahead, 8 weeks is way too long to wait.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.