Back of knee pain after TKR

Posted , 54 users are following.

HI

i had a tkr on 12/01 and still have a lot of pain and taking my analgesia regularly. The pain is mainly in the back of my knee now when weight bearing and a little under my knee cap. I find it difficult walking downstairs leading with my non tkr leg but can go upstairs consecutively. Does anyone else suffer pain in back of knee, is this normal? I'm beginning to think my knee will never be normal again.I just want to wake up in the morning and find that all the pain's gone and i can walk normal.

3 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

I'm new to the site so please have a lil patience with me. I had rtkr on march 21, 2018. I am beginning to think this was a mistake. My foot is swollen, i can move toes just a little bit and the pain in the toes and ankle can be unbearable. My pcp put me on gabapentin 4/18/18. They are not working. How long do it takes before the meds get into your system. Me being able to walk on foot gets impossible some times. Can't sleep at night and i dont know what else to do. And in the back of my knee it feels as if something is rubbing together. Can anybody give me words of encouragement.

• Posted

Hi Gladys!

I'm sorry that you have been having the swelling and the pain. I, too, had LOTS and LOTS of swelling of my whole leg and my foot for WEEKS following my first TKR! I went barefoot all the time because no shoe would fit!

Swelling is the body's way of immobilizing the injured body part. Sounds like YOUR BODY and MY BODY are both GREAT at this!

Anyway, I had success at about 6 weeks when I put on my thigh-high compression stockings. I put them on both legs, and they really helped me feel better while swelling lessened. Ibuprofen helped me, too. It is an anti-inflammatory, so it actually WILL help with the inflammation which is the swelling. Try drinking lots of water, too. That flushes out toxins and lessens swelling.

I elevate my legs whenever I am sitting. I walk a lot but try to avoid STANDING in place. If I HAVE to stand awhile, I MOVE, MOVE, MOVE to keep circulation going.

Watch the amount of salt you ingest, too. It raises blood pressure AND increases swelling.

You will begin to see improvement. Recovery takes time because our bodies have been through a TRAUMA!

Sending prayers of calm and strength to you tonight!??

(TKRs June and October 2015)

• Posted

Ive read those exact symptoms following TKR can be due to peroneal nerve injury affecting what u describe.

• Posted

My TKR was in Oct 2917 and I am doing well. That said I have some pain and certain positions are uncomfortable.

I had similar problems after my first knee replacement and became very worried to the point that I requested a second opinion, and ever got an EMG. Long story made short everything slowly resolved and that knee is now asymptomatic. I think if the pain is manageable one should probably wait a year before getting too upset. After all would you really want them to redo anything now when it will probably improve with time 

• Posted

Me too honey, me too.....  I had mine jan 31, 08 and at first had a lot of pain in back of knee.  I ice front and back everytime I ice.  im soooo over this surgery and will not have another one and will let others know to research before having theirs.

Good luck

• Posted

Same here. TKR 3 months ago and pain is still rough, have to honestly say I've never experienced anything this bad in my life. Back of knee swells and entire leg feels like a tight rubber band.

• Posted

It is now 13 months since surgery. I can walk without pain now, finally. But it has stiffened up considerably after not going to hydrotherapy and having stopped the exercises. Life got in the way. There is still pain around the area, and I have to concentrate hard to walk properly.

It makes a large clunking sound which people walking beside me can hear.

There was considerable pain for over 6 months.

I agree with a former comment: If I had been told the truth about what to expect, I would never have had the surgery.

• Posted

Hi there, I have had a full knee replacement, almost 9 weeks ago. I have started walking down be the beach, for at least half an hour. I am having trouble with a pinching feeling in the front of my knee and a pulling feeing behind, I know it will go away, but I wish it would fix it self quicker 😃

• Posted

feel so so depressed and tearful 6 weeks after tkr pain is still bad cant sleep just get one day over and feel a bit better then get up the next morning and feel i'm back to square one again it really feels relentless at the moment

well done to everyone who gets through this

• Edited

Hang in there. Believe me you will start feeling better. You had a major operation and healing takes time. very important to do your physio exercises! I received good advice from someone who responded to my message and helped me. So hopefully will help you too. Do stretches and more stretches. Will help with the tightness and the best exercises and helps with the healing process. what helped me with pain management and swelling was cold packs also assist healing process. Remember also that each one copes differently after the op. Some heals quicker than others, so dont get discourage. You will feel a big improvement 4-6 months and can take up to a year. I started with a morning, afternoon and evening routine to do my exercises, if you have an exercise bicycle great to get your mobility. If you cant get full range of movement when you are pedaling then just go up to the point that your knee bends allows then pedal backwards, and forwards. you might start off slowly and soon will be able to increase your speed and will be able to get full range. Even if you in pain, dont skip your exercises, after exercises put an icepack on your knee. If there is a aqua therapy centre close to you, join the classes, the exercises will get speed up your mobility and healing. Will strengthen your core strength too and will feel better and more relaxed. I have no regrets. Stay positive, you will feel better soon. Regards WILMA

• Posted

I had a PKR 15 weeks ago and while pain in knee is pretty good, I also have pain behind and outside of the knee/leg. Like sciatica type pain. Feel it every day and during the night. Almost learning to live with it but I wish it would go. It stops for a little while but return even when sitting. Not sure if it's connected to the surgery and really don't want to go through any more procedures.

• Posted

Hi Theresa63

I'm 6 weeks post TKR and while I'm healing really well, I also suffer with sciatica. Just when I think it's gone, back it comes! My physio works on it which is great and I put ice on the sore bits when I do my knee. I also use magnesium oil as a before bed rub. Hope you have some relief by now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.